RTV, Anyone?

Thanks Paul, Wish I could have found some Zinc plated machine screws instead of Stainless.....If they ever need to be drilled out again, Someone is going to have a BAD day. But what are the odds of this needing to be done again?
I've never thought of stainless as hard, i didn't think they were hardened. I know they can harden if you drill fast and heat them up.
But i've never tried to drill any out. I've only drilled sheet stainless with cobalt bits Slowwwlyy.

Last edited:
I've never thought of stainless as hard, i didn't think they were hardened. I know they can harden if you drill fast and heat them up.
But i've never tried to drill any out. I've only drilled sheet stainless with cobalt bits Slowwwlyy.
Spot on, it is generally softer but work hardens quickly, the more you drill and the hotter it gets the harder it becomes. There is hardened stainless also.

The slow part is the issue with my pneumatic right angle drill, I've been eyeing a cordless variable speed one......But, I might use a right angle drill a few time a year.

Another great job! I have seen my fair share of hack jobs brought in to be corrected. I think we should ask the mods to add another forum on here called HACK JOBS lol where we can post about things we see on a daily basis.

The slow part is the issue with my pneumatic right angle drill, I've been eyeing a cordless variable speed one......But, I might use a right angle drill a few time a year.
These may interest you.

540 RPM. Used, they do sell stubby bits for this tool for use without the chuck.

There's a whole spectrum of stainless steels, and some are more compatible with aluminum than others. Use of a non-common metal anti-seize can go a long way here.

Many of the common SS alloys are given to "galling" when drilled or cut, which means they gum up your bit or blade. This makes your choice of RPM and liberal use of a good cutting oil more important than when working carbon steel.

Back