RTV, Anyone?

thanks for the interesting post CB, never heard of pozidriv, a DIY guy that always looking to learn! as Clint said a man "gotta know his limitations" being older now i farm out the heavy work or anything in question + luckily have a good independent shop locally!!

To me, the most shocking part about this repair is that your Home Depot actually had hardware in stock that allowed you to finish the job. Never seems to happen around here.
my local one has a decent metric selection, better than ace for some reason

Man what a hack job. I try to be as neat as possible with RTV when it has to be used. This case the gasket should have been replaced instead of that ridiculous job there.

Someone had made an attempt to remove the JIS machine screws holding the pump cover to the timing cover & buggered every one of them up!

What is a JIS machine screw?
Are they common on all Japanese vehicles?

Found this interesting discussion about JIS screws and tools for them:

some excerpts:

...Most folks are aware that JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers and US phillips screwdrivers are different, and that JIS screwdrivers usually work okay with phillips screws, but not vice versa. The tip of a phillips screwdriver won't fully enter the head of a JIS screw, resulting in cam-out and damage to the screw. This diagram shows the differences in the screwdriver tip profiles.....

....It appears that many Japanese companies, including Vessel, now manufacture their screwdrivers to conform with DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 rather than the defunct JIS standard, and that Nepros has decided to not follow any standards and to make its screwdrivers according to its own internal specifications.....

...Believe it or not, it was really hard to find detailed information regarding the differences between the JIS and DIN/ISO screwdriver standards, but I finally ran across the following very helpful diagram at a Japanese motorcycle discussion site. It's clear how close the two standards are, which is why Japanese and European screwdrivers both seem to work fine with JIS (and also phillips) screws...

Statement from Vessel:

"Q: Why are VESSEL's screwdrivers not labeled “JIS”?

"As you might know, VESSEL is the oldest screwdriver manufacturer in Japan, and made a contribution to set a JIS standard. We do follow JIS standard for cross point screwdrivers. Because the technology to manufacture screwdrivers in Japan had already become above a certain level, JIS recognition system for screwdrivers became extinct in 2008. So there is no authorized JIS manufacturer now, and we therefore cannot print "JIS" mark on our screwdrivers."

I am always ready to buy a new tool. ;)

I really like the Vessel ball drivers. At first I though they may be uncomfortable but they are just the opposite.

I keep one of these in every glove box, it is an excellent tool.

Finished up this mourning, Used a thin film of Hylomar M along with the new O-ring. Couldn't find torque specs for the cover bolts.....Mitchell nor Alldata. 89 inch pounds is pretty standard for M6 bolts so that what I used.
Also changed the dipstick O-ring as it also had a big glob of RTV.

4TQZaks.jpg

Last edited:
Back