RTS 5-40 CI-4+33 HP Yanmar Diesel - 50 Hrs/2 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second UOA posted for this unit (first one is here. ), a '96 John Deere 955 compact tractor. Almost two years had gone by since the oil/filter was changed, although it only had 50 hours of use, so I figured I'd change it out. According to Blackstone, I needn't have done so..
frown.gif

Oil = RTS 5-40, CI-4+; filter was NAPA 1064.

After I poured in the new RTS 5-40, I was wiping off the jug, and noticed it has a CH-4 rating (musta' been from a really old part of the stash..
whistle.gif
), so, I guess the next UOA should be interesting. New filter is NAPA 1334, which I've gone to as a standard for all my J-D stuff.

Without further ado:
RON: Leaving this oil in place for 2 years wasn't a problem at all. As long as an oil doesn't become overly contaminated with wear metals, fuel, moisture, and/or coolant, it can be left in place indefinitely.
Unfortunately engines are very dirty places, which requires having oil changed from time to time. This fill could have easily been run longer. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~90 hours. All wear read close to average and in the proper balance. The TBN was strong at 10.3 so this oil still had lots of active additive left. The trace of fuel isn't an issue. Nice!

UOA #2

MI/HR ON OIL: 50 Hr
MI/HR ON UNIT: 821
DATE:7-11-09

ALUMINUM: 3
CHROMIUM: 3
IRON: 14
COPPER: 1
LEAD: 1
TIN: 0
MOLY: 2
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 2
BORON: 2
SILICON: 4
SODIUM: 1
CALCIUM: 3539
MAGNESIUM: 11
PHOSPHOROUS: 1268
ZINC:1501
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 67.4
Cst Visc. @100C: 12.27
Flashpoint: 410
Fuel %: TR
Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.3
TBN: 10.3
TAN:
ISO Code:

Thanks for this! I was running my two tractors out to a two year OCI due this fall, but based on this report, I may just sample first to see if I can go three. I'll have more hours and use the conventional RT, but I live in a similar climate (Ohio). On the downside, my tractors are a lot older and more tired. We'll see. Good report. Very inspirational!

This topic of extended duration OCIs (not extended mileage) is being discussed in another thread. I like the fact that this is a timely UOA for that topic as well.

First of all, nice report on a nice little tractor. Nothing exceptional stands out, which is to say, "all is good".

Regarding the act of going past 2 years, I agree. Oil has no idea of how old it is; only how hard it's been used, and how much life it has left. The TBN was very strong, and the intrustion from coolant/fuel/dirt was basically zero. That load of oil could have likely doubled and gone 4 years with that rate of progression.

And I am one who puts his money where his mouth is; I let my 1966 289 Mustang go 3 years on OCIs with dino Rotella 10w-30. I don't loose one wink of sleep over it, either. I might even go 4 years on this next load.

Quote:
And I am one who puts his money where his mouth is; I let my 1966 289 Mustang go 3 years on OCIs with dino Rotella 10w-30. I don't loose one wink of sleep over it, either. I might even go 4 years on this next load.

Do you worry about the oil filter element falling apart? I remember reading on a forum somewhere that a guy had that happen to an engine that sat for a number of years. Don't remember all the details, tho....
54.gif

Perhaps degredation might occur after many years (15?), but five or less? Nope - I don't see it. I don't know why a filter would be more prone to failure when installed, any more than sitting on a shelf. Most media in most brands of filters is cellulose based. That being said, it's a fiberous product of organic origin (some hyper-good form of paper?). The three most commonly destructive issues with plant based material are oxygen, water and UV light. None are present inside a filter to much degree at all. Full saturation with oil certainly helps retard these issues.

Somewhere on this site is a UOA of a guy's father's Tundra that ran 4 years and about 10k miles. Stellar UOA, with no hint of filter failure.

Would I run a filter for 15 years? Nope. But five or less? Sure. I don't see the risk in the filter being any more or less than the lube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back