RT6 vs M1 0W-40 in a turbo Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these are both good choices in a turbo Subaru, but I just thought I would share these entertaining (?) comments posted at nasioc. This thread was split off from the original thread because it went a little crazy.

Quote:

Not a fan of Rotella because it doesn't hold up well under high load. Use Motul 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 (only this weight) with your next motor for better lubrication/protection.

Quote:

Just search this forum and look up engine failure and see how many people were running Rotella. Also, if you have a oil pressure gauge and you run Rotella. See how much pressure has dropped after a hard run at both idle and cruising rpm's.

Use it at your own risk. You have been warned.

Quote:
Actually, you clearly don't know the difference. Both Rotella and M1 0w30 suck because they both have huge pressure drop (thins out) when pushed. However, M1 0w40 is a completely different oil and is considerably better than both of them, but you wouldn't know that would you? Because you talk out of your [censored] and assumed M1 0w40 is just like 0w30. You're a typical internet idiot, that doesn't know shiet, but talk alot of [censored].

The bottom line is, Rotella kills bearings and should never be used in turbocharged Subaru engines. Only an idiot and a fool would claim otherwise.

Quote:

The "actual" amount of pressure drop/thinning of Rotella and M1 0w40 is very different from each other in real world conditions. All you need to do is monitor the oil pressure of both oils under hard conditions. Rotella drops considerably more (i had seen it drop by 10+psi) than M1 0w40 (around 5psi). Hence Rotella has a poorer ability in continuing to provide a layer of film between the journals and the bearing under high load situations. Also, it's clear that you and many others have not used M1 0w40, let alone monitor how it behaves over time. I have and the difference is day and night compared to Rotella. Rotella breaks down quickly and is about as good as water. With that being said, I like Motul 5w40 the best. It holds up better than the other oils under high load, however it not readily available everywhere like M1 0w40.

As i said before, use Rotella at your own risk and don't buy into the fanboi [censored] that's a good oil. You have been warned.

More here:

What are the chances that someone here has some OP readings on both?

Discuss.
35.gif

-Dennis

I find most of the Subaru oil comments entertaining, but lacking in evidence. So now it's Rotella causing problems whereas before it was M1 5w30? I don't buy it.

Originally Posted By: buster
I find most of the Subaru oil comments entertaining, but lacking in evidence. So now it's Rotella causing problems whereas before it was M1 5w30? I don't buy it.

I'd also question which Rotella they're talking about; none of those posts mention T6 specifically.

I know of a few people who claim that M1 kills the turbo ... can't say I've heard of any evidence.

If T6 runs in an 18 wheeler with no problems, I don't see why it would have problems with a Subaru. And , I've seen what people do to them ... I doubt oil causes the failures seen in them.

There's a guy on TDIClub who similarly claims T6 (and non-T6 CJ4 back when it was just Shell Rotella T) isn't a good choice for TDIs either because "Shell stripped all the zinc out of it" which is silly on several different levels.

First because even cheap $20 spectrographic VOA shows that is patently false.
Second because there are millions of kilometers racked up on TDIs running T6 for the stock 16k km OCIs and even longer with zero issues and stellar UOA reports.

I've never seen any objective evidence that T6 is anything but a great choice for non-CR TDIs or turbo Subies.

Yeah most of these people unfortunately don't know what they're talking about.

Rotella T6 is designed to hold up for a high load turbocharged engine and so is Mobil 1 0w-40. Honestly, those are probably a couple of the best mainstream 40 grades on the market right now. If a Daily Driven subaru motor is blowing up using those oils (and kept topped off), there is likely another problem other than the oil.

Its your standard forum banter about oil. Everyone thinks they know everything about it because its what their mechanic or autostore salesman told them. Tell them to spend a few hours on this forum and see if their opinion changes.

The Subaru guys that I know all strictly run Rotella T6 5w40. They say its a great oil at a great price. Mobil 1 0w40 is also a bit tougher to find here for whatever reason. I'd run the T6 without worry, its a great oil.

My girl's dad builds Subarus as a hobby. He can't believe some of the ignorant fools he comes in contact with sometimes. Oil ruining the bearings? I doubt it, unless they are using the wrong grade of oil, but I 100% think that owner abuse is responsible for the bearing problems, not Rotella vs. Mobil 1.

There are also some great turbo Subaru UOAs on this site using T6.
thumbsup2.gif

That forum discussion sounds more like a case of abusive owners who need something to blame. Its like the bro-truck diesel guys who crank up the boost on their diesel pickups and use a tuner to crank out 800 hp, then blame the vehicle manufacturer when the truck breaks.
33.gif

I should also point out that all of the quotes come from the same person, and there doesn't appear to be anyone that shares the same views.

scurvy, I've seen similar comments a out zinc being removed from Rotella.
smirk.gif
lol.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The Subaru guys that I know all strictly run Rotella T6 5w40. They say its a great oil at a great price. Mobil 1 0w40 is also a bit tougher to find here for whatever reason. I'd run the T6 without worry, its a great oil.

My girl's dad builds Subarus as a hobby. He can't believe some of the ignorant fools he comes in contact with sometimes. Oil ruining the bearings? I doubt it, unless they are using the wrong grade of oil, but I 100% think that owner abuse is responsible for the bearing problems, not Rotella vs. Mobil 1.

There are also some great turbo Subaru UOAs on this site using T6.
thumbsup2.gif

That forum discussion sounds more like a case of abusive owners who need something to blame. Its like the bro-truck diesel guys who crank up the boost on their diesel pickups and use a tuner to crank out 800 hp, then blame the vehicle manufacturer when the truck breaks.
33.gif

Cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two. From what I've seen out of the Subaru crowd, it's cheap and fast. But with the numbers they're pushing, there's no way the cars can be reliable without soaking a lot of money into it.

Yeah, I read this post over at Nabisco the other day while at work. Quite entertaining to say the least. I can now understand why some of the people over there can be such @ssh@ts at times given the nonsense that gets posted as truth.
I'm a fan of M1 0W-40 and haven't found anything I'd rather use in my WRX other than maybe PU 5W-30 for winter here in Minnesota. But I can't even begin to understand the OP's logic. Its almost like he's just trying to get people all worked up for a few personal laughs.

Originally Posted By: palahniuk
Yeah, I read this post over at Nabisco the other day while at work. Quite entertaining to say the least. I can now understand why some of the people over there can be such @ssh@ts at times given the nonsense that gets posted as truth.
I'm a fan of M1 0W-40 and haven't found anything I'd rather use in my WRX other than maybe PU 5W-30 for winter here in Minnesota. But I can't even begin to understand the OP's logic. Its almost like he's just trying to get people all worked up for a few personal laughs.

Nice. I see that you don't have OMGIMustUse5W-30itis in a 2013.
01.gif

-Dennis

Perhaps a slight thread jack, but would you pick PU 5w30 or PU 10w30 for a turbo Subie in Phoenix, AZ? I just got one a few weeks ago and want to get 2 jugs of the $10 MIR PU for it. I was planning on 10w30...

Thanks, Doug

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

01.gif

-Dennis

Actually, I'm a bluesubie convert. We had a conversation over at IWSTI a few months ago about motors oils. You sold me on M1 0W-40 w/ a quart of M1 0W-30R. I've been very happy thus far and will probably stick with this combination for the foreseeable future.
Since I don't drive the car hard in the winter I'll probably run PU 5W-30 during the winter which will give me the needed receipts for my warranty.
All is right with the world.

Originally Posted By: dvancleve
Perhaps a slight thread jack, but would you pick PU 5w30 or PU 10w30 for a turbo Subie in Phoenix, AZ? I just got one a few weeks ago and want to get 2 jugs of the $10 MIR PU for it. I was planning on 10w30...

Thanks, Doug

If these two are your only choices then I'd just run the 5W-30. They will both be the same viscosity at temp as far as I know but I'm not sure how much of a difference there might be in shear stability between the 5W and 10W, have you seen the HTHS of both oils? The other upside would be you'd be within your warranty using the 5W-30. I'd just keep on top of your maintenance and check your oil level every week and top off when necessary. Then get a UOA after 3750 miles and go from there.
If it were me I'd run the M1 0W-40, check your oil level every week, run it for 5K miles and go from there. It will hold up better than the 5W-30 in the heat and isn't as heavy as the T6 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

01.gif

-Dennis

Actually, I'm a bluesubie convert. We had a conversation over at IWSTI a few months ago about motors oils. You sold me on M1 0W-40 w/ a quart of M1 0W-30R. I've been very happy thus far and will probably stick with this combination for the foreseeable future.
Since I don't drive the car hard in the winter I'll probably run PU 5W-30 during the winter which will give me the needed receipts for my warranty.
All is right with the world.

Oh, that's right.
thumbsup2.gif
I've also seen more and more 2012/2013 owners running RT6 as well.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back