RPM's

Funny that RPM's are so prominently display on the dash. I understand many here might look or maybe those with Standard's. Probably somewhat limited to a certain
age. I know I take a peek out of habit but all my kids wouldn't know the difference or probably even what it means...(full discloser...I don't either revolutions of what exactly)
I just know she revvin' high and it isn't good. If I had to guess I would say most wouldn't care too much anyway if they were high on RPM's...like a soccer mom or dad isn't going to slow down if they are high.

For most people driving most modern cars, yeah they’re not really necessary. I personally want one in my cars though. The 1986 D150 with a 4 speed manual I drove? I would have loved to have a tach in that.

For quite a while, Rolls Royce have not had a tachometer in their vehicles. As they tell it, indicating engine speed is exposing the driver to coarse mechanicals. This would be unsophisticated and not befitting the car, the Rolls Royce brand, or their owners.

Instead, they use a "Power Reserve" dial that indicates how much engine power is being utilized, from 0-100%.

If a Roller doesn't need a tach with 600+ HP and nearly 700 lb. ft. of torque, I'm gonna say a 150 HP Corolla with a CVT can probably do without one too.

High RPM is bad? The engine is designed to operate within a range so I don't understand why people think high = bad.

Especially with these smaller high compression turbo engines, you gotta get the revs high to get anything out of them.

No, it's better to lug the engine and get LSPI...

I can’t recall anyone ever saying “how many RPM is it running?” it has always been “how many rpm’s?” Tomato tahmahto.

Or my personal favorite, rippums.

I always say RPM, as it is indicating Revolutions Per Minute. NOT Revolutions Per Minutes.

When I see RPM's, I always think Revolutions Per how many Minutes?

High RPM is bad? The engine is designed to operate within a range so I don't understand why people think high = bad.

Especially with these smaller high compression turbo engines, you gotta get the revs high to get anything out of them.

No, it's better to lug the engine and get LSPI...
Smaller turbo engines have tons of torque down low in modern form. LSPI has been tuned out of them pretty much, as well. It's just not an issue with modern ones. When the first came out it was though, for sure.

My first two manual trans vehicles (1991 Toyota Pickup and 1999 Dodge Neon) did not have tachometers so I had to go dig into the owners manual to find out max speeds in each gear - then all my autos after that handle shifting had tachometers. Personally because I am a car person I use them to kind of monitor my driving style even in automatic trans cars - doubt the general population who use cars like appliances could care less.

My BEV e-Golf has a power gauge that goes from 0-10 and is supposed calibrated to show the % of motor power you are using with some coloring to show the "efficiency" driving areas (basically 0-40%). Thinking a power gauge like this would provide more information for common non-car type people.

My first two manual trans vehicles (1991 Toyota Pickup and 1999 Dodge Neon) did not have tachometers so I had to go dig into the owners manual to find out max speeds in each gear - then all my autos after that handle shifting had tachometers. Personally because I am a car person I use them to kind of monitor my driving style even in automatic trans cars - doubt the general population who use cars like appliances could care less.

My BEV e-Golf has a power gauge that goes from 0-10 and is supposed calibrated to show the % of motor power you are using with some coloring to show the "efficiency" driving areas (basically 0-40%). Thinking a power gauge like this would provide more information for common non-car type people.

I’m surprised the Toyota didn’t have one.

I never stare at the tach while shifting. My ears tell me when to do so.

Revolutions per minute, not revolution (singular) per minute. How many RPM is the engine running?

It was the absolute cheapest Toyota Pickup you could purchase in the 1991 model year (no a/c, no power steering, no radio, vinyl bench seat, no clearcoat, steel wheels). I think I found the original window sticker at some point and I want to say it was like $9-10k brand new.

It was the absolute cheapest Toyota Pickup you could purchase in the 1991 model year (no a/c, no power steering, no radio, vinyl bench seat, no clearcoat, steel wheels). I think I found the original window sticker at some point and I want to say it was like $9-10k brand new.
Had a '92 Toyota 4x4 pu - no tach and it was a 5-speed.

I found that I couldn't trust my ears. For a few events, I had to drive my Corvette without a tach, after I converted to an aftermarket ECU. Initially I had no tach, so I tried driving it by ear. Then after the day's running, I would download the logger data from the ECU to see where I had been shifting. 4800 rpm, and I knew from chassis dyno testing that peak power was at 5600. I was giving up a lot of power on the track because I couldn't trust my ears. I put a tach on it as soon as I could.

Back