RP Max clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any experiences with RP Max clean? Oreillys had them on sale for $5 off (was $15, now $9.99) and I couldn't help myself, so I picked up a few.
grin.gif

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-clean-fuel-system-cleaner/

its good stuff, 10$ is about the right price.

Is it better than regular techron concentrate .. no idea.. but its good.

My Dodge has just the slightest little bit of a rough idle. It only has 84k miles, and I have already performed a tune up, changed out the PCV valve (which in this vehicle is a PITA) and I have been running MMO through it every tank. MMO seems to help but it still has that slight rough idle. I even took it to the Dodge dealer. Their answer was, "Dude, Its a Dodge. They are all like that..."
mad.gif
Thank you Mr. Technical Expert. Anyhow, Im hoping that this will be just enough ooomf to clean out a dirty injector. I will be adding it tommorow, and will report back soon!

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
...but it's purple, it has to be better....lol

Everyone likes to make jokes about how "its purple it must be better" and "that purple dye costs more" etc.
smirk.gif
But in their defense and FWIW, I have yet to experience anything but stellar results from all the RP products I have tried.

Last edited:
I bet it's good stuff, but as rarely as I use fuel cleaner, I'll pay a little more for Redline Si-1. I've always had great results with it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Its just RoyalPurples version of Berryman B13 Chem tool.

RP has PEA. Berryman does not. It isn't the same type of product.

Quick update. I added the RP Max clean to a 1/4 tank early sunday morning, and then added a couple gallons of shell v-power to bring it up to a 1/2 tank (about 14 gallons total.) Since then I have been running it hard, then letting it sit, trying to clean out the injectors. Initial response: Truck ran VERY rough from the time I pulled out of the gas station until I reached my workplace (about 22 miles at highway speed.) I mean BAD. At one point I thought I may have had to siphen the tank and refill it, but I kept driving it, hoping that that meant it was working. After sitting for 12 hours, it ran a little better on the way home. And today, it has been idling much smoother and seems to be more responsive on the throttle. We will see what happens tommorow, I still have 1/4 tank left to burn!

FWIW, Berryman B-12 Chemtool "Injector Cleaner" part # 1112 does have PEA as one of the ingredients.

Last edited:
I am never happy with any remedy which makes thing worse before making it better. I am afraid that I would never really know if the things at the end are better than I started with or not. Obviously, you are relieved when the worse stage passes over but one can never be sure if in the end, did it do any good or not.

I prefer all my remedies to show the improvement without going through the "runs poor" stage.

I definately was NOT expecting the vehicle to run like hammered dog...well you know. Im not going to lie, I turned a little green when I started the vehicle and pulled out, thinking I may have just inadvertently injured or destroyed my motor. But, it started running normal again and the idle does seemed to have greatly improved. Has anyone else had a similiar experience with a motor running rough after adding an injector/fuel system cleaner? Should I be concerned after how the vehicle responded at first?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I definately was NOT expecting the vehicle to run like hammered dog...well you know. Im not going to lie, I turned a little green when I started the vehicle and pulled out, thinking I may have just inadvertently injured or destroyed my motor. But, it started running normal again and the idle does seemed to have greatly improved. Has anyone else had a similiar experience with a motor running rough after adding an injector/fuel system cleaner? Should I be concerned after how the vehicle responded at first?

Never.

I don't bother using that stuff in the fuel tank. Not strong enough. I suck it up through a vacuum line.
Sounds like you've got issues with sensors,not injectors however since I'm not there I can't say for sure.
Having now owned 3 of those trucks,2 with a 5.3 and 1 with a 6.0 I've learned what works with them in particular.
Try driving in 3rd gear til the fuel is gone. Yes even on the highway. Your revs at 60 mph will increase by 500 rpm or so.
You want the velocity of airflow to be high to help clear everything out.
Jackrabbit starts don't help. Light throttle inputs til you get moving then gradually put the pedal down.

Its not a sensor issue, it is very much an injector or hardware issue, but I will try the acceleration method you recommended and let you know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back