RP & M1 filters the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since people on this board have stating that WM is closing out M1 filters for $7. I stopped by my local WM to get a few. Well, the WM in my area did not have M1 filters on close out - they were priced as they have been at $7.97. Since Autozone charges $12.99 and PEP Boys, $10.99 for M1 filters, I went ahead and picked one up. I would have picked up 2 but the only other M1 filter they had for my application looked like it had been installed and then removed from a car and the can was badly dented in 4 places.

WM did not have the oil I was after so I went to PEP Boys. PEP Boys had a display of the new RP filter. Looked up my application and they had the filter I needed for $14.99. I looked at the filter and it is identical to the M1 except the RP has a purple antidrain back diaphragm. Do not know who makes the filters marked ZZ on them but, as stated, the RP and M1 are identical down to the location of the ZZ. The AC Delco for my application is also stamped with ZZ but the holes are a different size (larger) then the RP and M1 filters.

These filters are not the same. The pictures or cutaways I have seen show the RP has a wire-backed %100 synthetic media while the M1 has a synthetic blended media with more conventional-looking paper pleated look. Both are manufactured by Champ and appear to be well-made and over-built for extended use or in severe duty applications.

bmwtechguy is right there NOT the same,,use the RP filter much better,,then run it out 10,000 miles easly.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
These filters are not the same. The pictures or cutaways I have seen show the RP has a wire-backed %100 synthetic media while the M1 has a synthetic blended media with more conventional-looking paper pleated look. Both are manufactured by Champ and appear to be well-made and over-built for extended use or in severe duty applications.

bmtechguy is 100% correct.

As stated they are not the same. RP filters use a "100% synthetic micro-glass media" that is reinforced with a mesh backing. Mobil 1 filters use "synthetic fiber blend media". It looks like these days the M1 and K&N filters are/may be the same but the RP filter is different.

When you look at the RP and M1 filter guts it is clear they are not even close to being the same filter. Here you go...

RP:
RPfiltercut.jpg

M1:
filter-mobil1-08-xv.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an un-oiled K&N air filter scrunched in an oil filter can!

Could it be a Donaldson or Baldwin filter? Or some other.

Originally Posted By: axjohn

Similar to Donaldson's SYNTEQ media, which also appears in Fleetguard's synthetic filters and is licensed by AMSOIL for the EaO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Purple filter is made by Champ Labs. If you get on their website, you'll see it listed there.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: axjohn

Similar to Donaldson's SYNTEQ media, which also appears in Fleetguard's synthetic filters and is licensed by AMSOIL for the EaO.

yup and AC's UPF's, best filters made IMO.

Thanks for the pics.... Clearly an example that you can not judge a book by its cover or a filter by its can or base plate. Now, if the RP was just some other color...

That base plate doesnt look like the last M1 I saw. I'd never have thought them to be the same.

I looked at a M1-113 and RP XX-48 (AC Delco PF-48 replacements) and on those 2 filters the base plates were the same and as noted earlier - smaller holes than on the AC Delco filter.

That RP filter looks very nice. 14.99 seems high but you get a nice filter.

PepBoys is the only one that stocks it?

Originally Posted By: panthermike

$14.99 is steep but this filter should be good for two OC,20K.

yes PB is the only place.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

frown.gif

That kind of sucks, there's not a whole lot of PB's around here.

Originally Posted By: daman

frown.gif

That kind of sucks, there's not a whole lot of PB's around here.

Yea i know,my closes one is 2hr's away.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The Royal Purple filter is made by Champ Labs. If you get on their website, you'll see it listed there.

I am aware of that. But the synthetic glass media is likely licensed from Donaldson, and if not, is very similar in nature to theirs.

Quote:
but you are up the thumb

Took me a bit to figure out what this meant. It does look rather isolated compared to the rest of the state. Backing out from google maps in satellite mode works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back