RP filter review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few LOLs.

"Emergency bypass valve" ...
"Glorified cardboard" bypass valve ...

Hummm .... but what's the efficiency of the Royal Purple. If spending high end filter prices, I'd be expecting high filtering efficiency too.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
A few LOLs.

"Emergency bypass valve" ....

Well...... If you read this:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ssure-data-pure-1-motorcraft#Post3197094

One would be led to believe the valve truly does only open during an "emergency".........

the "bypass valve" (a.k.a. "emergency valve") certainly does NOT see a lot of flow during normal operations, considering a good filter and good oil.

Really a Pressure Relief Valve (PRV), but maybe considered only an "emergency valve" when it opens 0.1 PSI before the media trears from too much delta-p.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by shanneba
99% @25 microns 98.7% @ 20 microns 80% > 10 microns ISO 4548-12

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/
with 99% filtration efficiency at as small as 25 microns.

These are the same numbers for the Amsoil EA series filters and they look identical inside except for the purble ADBV. I think they are made in the same factory because even the glue is identical.

Great filter, over-priced considering what Ultra offers, that's why I switched from the EA filters from Amsoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shanneba
99% @25 microns 98.7% @ 20 microns 80% > 10 microns ISO 4548-12

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/
with 99% filtration efficiency at as small as 25 microns.

If I remember right, the Ultra has BETTER numbers, for a cheaper price, AND has broader availability. Sure, the RP filter looks good and will far exceed OEM, but for my money, I'll take an Ultra. Maybe two.

I use Ultra on my second car that is less finicky about lubrication, but the GM test does show the RP catches more grit then any other filter tested, even the Amsoil one. I do realize they are made with similar specs from the same lab, yet the RP patch was cleaner. Furthermore, the Ultra are stiffer out of the gate and are not as pliable as the RP filters are after use. I did a 2 year 10k mile oci and cut RP filter open and it was very soft and pliable. I had an oci 1/2 that on the second vehicle with less miles and it wasn't as bad as paper, but nowhere near the RP filter. When just considering the Media, my results of the few filters I have cut open mimic the result on the GM test as far as quality. And the value in this review was he compared it to the wix XP which was the one glaring thing missing from the gm test.

The patch on the right is the contamination running around an engine, RP far exceeded the field in this GM test. The cleaner the patch on the right, the less contamination that micron in your engine. Synthetic media took all of the top spots, they flow better and catch more grit.

Royal Purple

[Linked Image]

Fram Ultra

[Linked Image]

K&N

[Linked Image]

Wix

[Linked Image]

I have been using these filters long before I was aware of these tests based on the results I had. Very popular filter among the hemi crowd as well. Guys want to keep those engines clean, and it seams clear to me RP is a great choice for a filter, especially for a long oci. At a minimum, it is worthy of a personal test for someone considering filtration. Do a long oci on your favorite filter, then consider trying a RP once and cutting both open.

Originally Posted by burla
And the value in this review was he compared it to the wix XP which was the one glaring thing missing from the gm test.

The XP wouldn't have done well in the GM test based on the efficiency WIX claims.

And yes, the guy in the video doesn't talk about efficiencies of the filters. Some people buy a filter based on looks and construction, and don't even know what a "micron" is or understand efficiency ratings.

If I really wanted to prove what filter did best, it would require a particle count under controlled conditions. I've used an RP on both of my Cummins Rams in the past, but the FG Stratapore Venturi beats it-the stacked disk section can give any bypass filter a run for its' money, and the standard Stratapore media is right there with the RP & Ultra.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If I really wanted to prove what filter did best, it would require a particle count under controlled conditions. I've used an RP on both of my Cummins Rams in the past, but the FG Stratapore Venturi beats it-the stacked disk section can give any bypass filter a run for its' money, and the standard Stratapore media is right there with the RP & Ultra.

Yeah no doubt, but I'd need to relocate what I got to make that for in the 5.7.

Originally Posted by spj
I pay $11 delivered for RP filter not that much difference than the ultra.

Except on its best day a RP filter never see's 99% at 20 Microns.

I can get 6 Ultra's on Ebay for $30 delivered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back