RP 5W30 7500 Miles in Severe Conditions/Particle C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really short trips of 1.5 miles and the dusty and hot conditiosn of Fresno CA. THe oil filter was an Mobil 1: 104, but I should have used the OEM as you can see from this information:

The oil was changed at 1K, 2.5K and 9.8K

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1374742#Post1374742

LabAssay2-1.jpg

Last edited:
No,man. That's a nice run and performance by the oil filter. Doubt you can get better filter performance.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
particle count from Blackstone is not real

What is that supposed to mean? Not real, as in "faked?" Not real as in the OP is listing false data? Not real as in Blackstone does it in some slipshod way? If you are making a serious charge against a well-known company, you should make yourself very clear and give a detailed account of what you believe to be true.

Last edited:
C'mon Ben, let's hear it? If you have something legit, you're doing us a favor by telling us. If you were just having a bad day or just passing a little "gas," no biggie, we've all been there. I just wanna know.

By the way, Johnny Law, I forgot to say before that this was a good report, both from the oil and filter standpoints. I wouldn't be sweating it.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: benjamming
particle count from Blackstone is not real

What is that supposed to mean? Not real, as in "faked?" Not real as in the OP is listing false data? Not real as in Blackstone does it in some slipshod way? If you are making a serious charge against a well-known company, you should make yourself very clear and give a detailed account of what you believe to be true.

I can't pretend to be Ben, and I am not a particle count expert, but in a very short, simplistic nutshell - Blackstone does not do a standardized nor ASTM particle count. Some (including myself) have some serious doubts about the accuracy and precision of their machine method.

I see no issue with the filter here. Running longer than normal OCI, dusty conditions and insoluables are still low.

Blackstone uses a pore blockage method to "model" a particle distribution. True particle counts with opaque fluids is typically not done. It's done mainly on hydraulic and other non-combustion exposed lubricants.

A fixed volume of oil is pushed through a membrane at a fixed rate. The rate of change and the onset of change forms a curve of blockage. That curve is then compared to comparative models of like blockage contour.

Hardly a slope until xx amount of fluid is through the membrane ..less large particles blocking it.

To get a true optical laser particle count the fluid must be within certain standards of clarity with a (iirc) 100:1 dilution factor.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Blackstone uses a pore blockage method to "model" a particle distribution. True particle counts with opaque fluids is typically not done. It's done mainly on hydraulic and other non-combustion exposed lubricants.

A fixed volume of oil is pushed through a membrane at a fixed rate. The rate of change and the onset of change forms a curve of blockage. That curve is then compared to comparative models of like blockage contour.

Hardly a slope until xx amount of fluid is through the membrane ..less large particles blocking it.

To get a true optical laser particle count the fluid must be within certain standards of clarity with a (iirc) 100:1 dilution factor.

Like this Lab: http://www.oillab.com/particle.html

If not, who is the best in regards to particle counting? Also I do not want to spend more than 75 for the test and I should have another sample soon with a different filter soon.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Polaris Labs does the laser optical. If your oil is translucent enough, then they can probably do the laser optical counting method. You should also get a PQ Index.

I think with Polaris you would order an Industrial fluid analysis with PQ and PC.

I don't know how much it would costs.

Thank you for your insight, but do you know of any other labs so I could send the same sample to two labs?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back