RP 5w/30, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 25K, 251K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. 25K from RP is really stretching it. 12-15K is what the oil was designed to do and is marketed for by the company. Great report on such a long OCI.

My 3200/3 month oci on RP had a perfect uoa. No wear metals whatsoever,and it was all super-short back and forth to work trips every day,and daily wot runs.

As to the value,it`s actually the cheapest genuine synthetic oil you can buy. Even at $8.99 a quart,it`s a buck or two cheaper than the other common,easy to get synthetics,and I`m talking about grp IV and higher,not grp III dinos.

Last edited:
i emailed them about the HTHS of some of their oils:

The values for those three RP Oil formulations are listed below with the minimum standard value for that motor oil viscosity shown in parentheses:

RP SAE 0W-40 3.6 (2.9)
RP SAE 5W-40 3.5 (2.9)
RP SAE 10W-30 3.37 (2.9)

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy

RP SAE 0W-40 3.6 (2.9)
RP SAE 5W-40 3.5 (2.9)
RP SAE 10W-30 3.37 (2.9)

Good needed data!

25k? Remind me never to buy a used '03 Cooper S!

BTW, divide the mileage/5 and the wear/5 and this UOA shows that you can still 'recommend' or use RoyalPurple.

Mobil1 HTHS 0w40 is 3.8! RP is 3.6. Cold MRV is better with RP. RP might be a better choice for someone that wants to go thicker but not too thick.

All oils shear and then thicken up. I have little faith in insolubles to show that. Oxidation/nitration would be interesting(different lab needed).

TBN/TAN would be a must if you plan on doing this often. But, 25k/8months screams much highway commuting which is low 'time' on the oil compared to 25k of traffic ;-)

1.5 quarts in top off helps. What is the sump capacity?
What filter was used?

The RP 5W-40's HTHS vis of only 3.5cP doesn't seem right.
It shouldn't be lighter than their own 0W-40 particularly with a higher KV100 of 15.7cSt vs 14.3cSt.

If anyone was considering this oil I'd double check that figure.
3.5cP is he spec' for a heavy 30wt like GC not a 40wt oil.

Great report, but a TBN/TAN would have been very useful to see just how far you could have run this and how close to the limit you were.

Another great report for a highway car. At 3,125 miles a month, 781 miles a week the only thing wearing is the cruise control button.

Until I moved to the middle of nowhere most of my driving was stop and go in the city. At best I'd get 35-40,000 miles out of a set of brakes and shocks/struts (the roads were and still are riddled with potholes from all the traffic). Now I travel long distances on paved 2 lane highways most of the time at 60-65 mph (mostly 55 mph speed limit here). I'm driving 35-40,000 miles per year. Wear on the vehicles (particularly brakes and suspensions) is practically nil with that kind of driving. Now if I could find a place to buy a pair of shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back