RP 5w/30, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 25K, 251K

Status
Not open for further replies.
This if from a fellow MINI enthusiast, we would appreciate comments on the report.... Stock super charged version of the MINI Cooper.... This car is still on the original clutch, some indication of how it is driven.

Quote:
Well I finally got around to changing my oil on my 03 Cooper S and just got back the results from Blackstone Labs. All in all it looks good to me, this interval was super long ~25,000 miles. Unfortunately I forgot to ask for the TBN option. Next time I suppose. So to refresh memories I have an 03 S with now over 250,000 miles and I have always changed my oil when the OBC indicates to, usually between 15,000 and 21,000 miles. I have had both the oil pan off (leaky gasket) and the valve cover off in the past and the inside of the motor has always appeared to be super clean.

Code:
OIL RP 5W/30

MILES IN USE 25K 8 MONTHS

MILES 251,136

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/17/2011

ALUMINUM 6

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 28

COPPER 20

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 146

NICKEL 3

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 1

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 7

BORON 11

SILICON 9

SODIUM 52

CALCIUM 2468

MAGNESIUM 1162

PHOSPHORUS 916

ZINC 969

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0

ANTIFREEZE 0

FUEL
FLASHPOINT ºF 415

SUS VIS 210ºF 61.5

cSt @ 100ºC 10.65

Last edited:
looks real good
smile.gif

Forgot to note:

Code:
Make up oil added: 1.5 qrts.

Yea, first my mouth dropped at 25K OCI, then again on Royal Purple from what I have read. That really says something for Royal Purple even with the make up oil. (MINI Coopers often use oil. My wife's 2010 MCS used 1/2 qrt in the first 5,000 miles right off the show-room floor).

Thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming.....

wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wow - that is amazing!!!

....so much for RP not being any good, eh guys?

Unfortunately royal purple search results are riddled with posts about how "[censored]" it is....when it is NOT [censored] at all. Their filters are among the best (if not the best) and their oil is fantastic for a good majority of applications.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wow - that is amazing!!!

....so much for RP not being any good, eh guys?

Unfortunately royal purple search results are riddled with posts about how "[censored]" it is....when it is NOT [censored] at all. Their filters are among the best (if not the best) and their oil is fantastic for a good majority of applications.

I have to agree that RP is a pretty good oil in certain applications.

I just prefer my oil Gold in color.
grin.gif

Very decent performance!

I am curious as to where the Cu is coming from. After 25k miles, it's not bad for a "per mile" basis, but when you look at the Al and Pb, they seem VERY low. So likely not a bearing. Could be residual from some other equipment or event. To really know, we'd have to see several successive UOAs of similar exposure. Certainly nothing to panic over; more of an interesting note to track.

This is where a synthetic pays off; good numbers from extended OCIs. I don't think any of us would expect to see any dino oil get this far.

To be honest, there are times when RP (and RL and such) do turn in some less-than-stellar (and borderline ugly) UOAs; that is not a completely undeserved reputation. Even when "moderate" results are seen, they tend to be overshadowed by the gross expense of the product.

But, one cannot argue with such a great UOA as this. RP may not fit all situations, but in this one it clearly is working well!

This is EXACTLY why one has to do UOAs and see how well (or poorly) they have matched their operation, maintenance and lube choices.

Here, I would call this a successful venture.

Last edited:
Wow, that RP 5W30 really sheared right down, didn't it?
33.gif

Just so my wry humor doesn't fly right over someone's head, RP 5W30 is supposed to be a "shear monster," so claimed by people who don't like the grape juice. I think we can acknowledge this Mini must lead a fairly easy life because most supercharged engines can chew up the best, most shear stable oil. Still, it's a 25K run and viscosity is still well within grade and near the factory mark. A fine performance by any standard

RP's starting Tbn is about 12.1. Tbn retention has always been good with RP from what I've seen. The main issue everyone complained about was the shearing due to the use of VM.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
33.gif

Just so my wry humor doesn't fly right over someone's head, RP 5W30 is supposed to be a "shear monster," so claimed by people who don't like the grape juice. I think we can acknowledge this Mini must lead a fairly easy life because most supercharged engines can chew up the best, most shear stable oil. Still, it's a 25K run and viscosity is still well within grade and near the factory mark. A fine performance by any standard

It's possible, however, that the oil has already sheared and is now thickening and happened to be captured at a point when it was near its virgin viscosity. Not that it apparently makes a difference in this great UOA.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
33.gif

It's possible, however, that the oil has already sheared and is now thickening and happened to be captured at a point when it was near its virgin viscosity. Not that it apparently makes a difference in this great UOA.

True, but you usually see high insolubles with that situation.

MINI's are factory filled with synthetic and their "free" 3 year service includes synthetic oil changes. They are very specific with what oils they recommend, due to the long OCI with their OLM system.

Quote:

The oils listed below meet MINI's Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in MINIs in the US market with gasoline engines.

Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

- Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

- Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

- Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

- Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Last edited:
The main criticism of RP is that they're poor value for a syn oil. There are simply cheaper oils that have better stat's like PP and PU. RP 5W-30's VI of 157 is below average and they don't provide HTHS vis' spec's.

Having said that, their 0W-40 is interesting with a 182 VI and a MRV of only 20,000cP (M1's 0W-40 is 31,000cP). Again it would be nice to know the HTHS.

Good report!

As I've said,there's nothin wrong with this oil!
Many people run it in their street vehicles and race vehicles,only on this forum,on the internet,is it a "bad oil".

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The main criticism of RP is that they're poor value for a syn oil. There are simply cheaper oils that have better stat's like PP and PU. RP 5W-30's VI of 157 is below average and they don't provide HTHS vis' spec's.

Having said that, their 0W-40 is interesting with a 182 VI and a MRV of only 20,000cP (M1's 0W-40 is 31,000cP). Again it would be nice to know the HTHS.

Gimme RP over any oil out there not named Fuchs Titan. I like PP and PU but RP is a higher quality oil, but not enough to justify the cost.

I will agree with most others, I don't believe RP has added value to go with the added cost. However, when you use a synthetic for long OCI, the initial cost of the oil is spread out so far as to be not an issue. At 5 oil changes (of 5k each) of something like PYB, the comparable price could have been 15 bucks a qt and still be a better value.

Nice report (although I agree the copper is curious..).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back