RP 15W40 HD vs LiquiMoly 5w40 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, i've been baffled by the new formulation from royal purple 15w40.. I noticed that there is a 'HD' label attached to this oil.. as in the case of liquimoly...

the other grades of RP (eg: 10w30, 10w40) do not have the 'HD' label

some suggest that HD indicates 'for diesel only'. my '99 sentra runs on petrol. can I use the above grades for my oil change???

thanks!!

quote:

Originally posted by yipPEE:
hi all, i've been baffled by the new formulation from royal purple 15w40.. I noticed that there is a 'HD' label attached to this oil.. as in the case of liquimoly...

the other grades of RP (eg: 10w30, 10w40) do not have the 'HD' label

some suggest that HD indicates 'for diesel only'. my '99 sentra runs on petrol. can I use the above grades for my oil change???

thanks!!

HD as in HDEO - Heavy Duty Engine Oil. This is the manufactures way of saying a oil with a heavy additve package suitable for a Diesel. In the US to the best of my knowledge all 15W-40 oils are HDEO as well as most 5W-40 oils. This does not mean they can not be used in gasoline/petrol engines. As long as the oil in question has a API S* (SL is the latest) rating or a ACEA A* (A3 preferred) rating it is suitable for gasoline engines as well. In the US many of us prefer the HDEO oils over conventional PCMO - Passenger Car Motor Oils for their extra heavy additive packages and suitability for extended drain use.

A little research shows in the US this oil appears to wear a SJ rating and have a very robust formulation with a good dose of ZDDP and Moly. There is a current VOA in the Virgin Oil Aalysis section.

Gene

[ July 06, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

quote:

Originally posted by yipPEE:
Hi Gene,

From your reply, something comes to mind - with a heavy duty oil like that, would the fuel consumption suffer quite badly compared to other PCMO rated as Xw40?

Also, from the below website, i noticed that RP 15w40 is actually SL rated?

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html

Thanks!!

I would expect the fuel mileage to be between a 10W-40 and a 20W-50 since most 10W-40 PCMO tend to be on the thin side and most HDEO tend to be on the thick side for a given grade. I dont think the difference in fuel mileage between most oils would be over 1-2%. I think most of the time people report a significant change there are other factors involved.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back