RP 0w10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Royal Purple is nothing but rebottled, overpriced [censored] anyway. Its gotta be the purple dye that makes it so special...
wink.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2204348

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
man I wish I still had my D16Y7, would love to try that for 5k OCI and see what happens during the upcoming cold weather!

I have a '99 Civic Ex with ~280,000 miles, still runs fantastic, I bag the thing too, I swear it's made of inda!@#$%^structable metal. lol

Last edited:
shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the CAFE and automakers about it! This might be a good oil to use in hybrids, where the engine isn't always on, and regular stop-and-start cycles would benefit from the thinner oil. Most late-model non-European cars with auto stop/start might also experience something good.

Waiting for Caterhamm's thoughts
35.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Wow that's like a 20-wt oil! Check out the Cst Vis at 100C. The range for 20-wt is 5.6-9.3

Wouldn't a 10 have to be below 5.6 Cst?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Wow that's like a 20-wt oil! Check out the Cst Vis at 100C. The range for 20-wt is 5.6-9.3

20s are now 6.9-9.3 - HTHS >2.6
16s are now 6.1-8.2 - HTHS >2.3

IMO...RP makes some really outstanding oil. However, this 0w-10 from RP is geared for Racing and High Performance engines. Most likely it is loaded with ZDDP and might be close to an API-SJ motor oil.

I notice that the AZ page just mentions API and nothing further. IMO....it would be best to check a UOA or have a VOA performed BEFORE you decide to run this oil in a modern day engine. This is most likely a high zinc and phosphorus oil and might damage your CAT and sensitive sensors if it is not the right spec. Just my opinion.

I picked up some Red Line 5wt Racing Oil off of Amazon for less than $15 a gallon. I plan on using this 5wt oil, Cst (0w20), along with GC 0w30, 50/50, for my winter run. My vehicle is a 1997 and is approved for API-SJ and forward and the GC is API-SL. Cheers Ducks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the CAFE and automakers about it! This might be a good oil to use in hybrids, where the engine isn't always on, and regular stop-and-start cycles would benefit from the thinner oil. Most late-model non-European cars with auto stop/start might also experience something good.

Waiting for Caterhamm's thoughts
35.gif

I commented on this oil 2 years ago:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2841118/4

What did we learn in school? Don't judge a book by it's cover.
That certainly applies hear.
It's a race oil so the 10 grade is for RPs marketing purposes.
It's low KV100 of 6.86 is due to a lack of VIIs but it's HTHSV is still in the 2.5-2.6cP range and it has a lower VI than even a cheap dino 5W-20 at 140.
Bottom line, a typical API 0W-20 will be lighter at all start-up temp's and the high VI OEM 0W-20s like TGMO, MGMO, Sustina and SynGard will be much lighter at all temp's.

Sorry.
There are some truly light race oils such as the 0W-5 and 0W-2 offers from various race oil formulators. RP also has one called XPR 3.1 which has a KV100 of 3.1cSt.
Now if someone is brave enough to try one of these in there daily driver I'd love to hear about it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Sorry.
There are some truly light race oils such as the 0W-5 and 0W-2 offers from various race oil formulators. RP also has one called XPR 3.1 which has a KV100 of 3.1cSt.
Now if someone is brave enough to try one of these in there daily driver I'd love to hear about it.

I was just pulling your chain CATERHAM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2841118/1

SimpleGifts- Is this supposed to be impressive?? $15/qt oil that looked good on a 5K OCI??? Ummmm ok.

I can do that on a dyno oil! and save $$$$

It was for reference only; where did i say it was impressive.

Look @ the 5W-30 UOA, $9/qt oil for 25K miles, so it is far from junk.

Quote:

dyno oil

Where is that bought? At a speed shop? j/k

Last edited:
Sorry.

if someone supplies the oil and UOA fees, I will be more then happy to find a 1zz-fe to try this in, no jokes, I would love to add some Data.

An old forum friend named Gary Allan (RIP) tested a custom 0W10 in his 2.5L powered Jeep. The UOA numbers were actually pretty good. Personally, Gary's effort was influential in my interest in thinner oils in my AMC engines and now I run 5W30 exclusively. My rock buggy is coming along very slowly (a college kid will do that to you) but my plan is to run some type of thin race oil in it's AMC 2.5L with a SAAB turbo. Hopefully I can begin testing next season.

Zaedock, Gary's rig had my lower hose thermostat on it...they drove it to NY to meet us in 2010.

Miss that dude.

I miss him too. He added a lot of logical thought and compassion to our discussions. He never insulted anyone, just simply presented gentle facts.

Sorry.

I'd totally try it if my car was spec'd for a 0/5w20

*looks for a cheap Focus on Craigslist*

Joe Gibbs racing sells a line of racing oils and they're all watery-thin. I'd run an OCI in my subaru but it would probably all leak out before 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back