Royal Purple's viscosity change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
In a recent thread on one of the f-body message boards I frequent, the topic of Royal Purple came up and I mentioned my problems with it thinning out on me. You'll never believe the funny response I got from one guy who spoke to someone at RP about this.

What do you guys think of this quote:

quote:

I also spoke with [email protected] and asked about the thinning you are suggesting. The difference with RP is that it finds the proper viscosity for your engine and changes its viscosity for the best protection. If it is thinning out then the tolerances needed to protect you engine in the best possible manner are requiring the oil to become thinner to get within those tolerances for best protection. RP then stays at such level to aid in protection for startup and not be much thicker as to not give initial protection.

So according to him my oil is adjusting itself for the right viscosity needed? I can't see how that's even possible.

[ September 15, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

My BS meter just went off. How can an oil determine the proper viscosity for itself? I like RP, but VI are all the same. I don't think they can engineer a VI to shear until the oil reacts a specified flow in a fluid system. If they can, I'd be surprised that it would be sold for $5 per quart. Plus I think they'd market the h*ll out of a feature like that.

Speaking of RP, is it a PAO/ester based synthetic or a group III dino? I couldn't tell off of their website published MSDS.

Sounds like crap to me
rolleyes.gif

Repeated UOA's on the same fill could be interesting.

How about e-mailing the RP resident expert and asking him to describe this process on these boards?

How did he say that and keep a straight face?

[ September 15, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

THat takes the cake as the best oil related B.S. I have seen in print!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

My side is hurting from uncontrolable laughing!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
THat takes the cake as the best oil related B.S. I have seen in print!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

My side is hurting from uncontrolable laughing!!!!

Should we call 911?

Cool! A one size fits all...oil,
grin.gif

I.E.,
One oil fits ALL engine and temperature combinations.

Wow, the chemistry these guys come up with is beyond comprehension!
mad.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade, but how reliable is the source of the original quote?

If it was quoted from a guy who has an @royalpurple.com email address, and he truly did say that, it doesn't say much about the quality of their tech department!

Oil with adaptive intelligence ? Great Idea.

Dave Canitz where are you ?????????? You got some esplainin to do.

If you really think about it, an oil that can think is the answer to all of our prayers. And would end all discussions on this site!
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
If it was quoted from a guy who has an @royalpurple.com email address, and he truly did say that, it doesn't say much about the quality of their tech department! [/QB]

Patman, I agree wholeheartedly with you......if that was what was actually said. But I also realize that this is a quote from someone else, off of another forum, about something that was told to him, by someone else.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would try to feed a load of crap like that to anyone. I just wonder if it is one of those "fish" stories, where the fish gets bigger each time the story is told.
dunno.gif

I've come to this thread late ... and what d'ya know ...

... everything I would have said has already been posted above!
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back