Royal Purple's "SYNERLEC">What Exaxctly Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the "backbone" of Royal Purple's synthetic fluids, really different from additives found in most other synthetics>?
confused.gif

I'm curious what is to be made of their "Synerlec" technology
dunno.gif

From their website:
Synthetic oils enable Royal Purple to make superior lubricants, but it is Royal Purple's advanced Synerlec® additive technology that gives its lubricants their amazing performance advantages. Synerlec® additive technology truly is beyond synthetic™.

Synerlec® additive technology forms a tough, slippery, synthetic film on all metal surfaces. This proprietary film significantly improves lubrication: first, by increasing the oil film's thickness, and second, by increasing the oil film's toughness, both of which help to prevent metal-to-metal contact. It displaces moisture from metal surfaces and protects all metals against rust and corrosion. It also fortifies the oil against the detrimental effects of heat, which causes oil to oxidize.

I recall Castrol SynTec, use to claim their oil had chemical bonding ro engine parts as well. Is this something common in all synthetics?

dunno.gif
Thanks for any help trying to explain "synerlec"
smile.gif

its proprietary, how is anyone on this site going to know? Terry might know, but he cant say. He has said that the guy who started royal purple is a genius and also said that RP was a very well formulated oil. At least thats what was stated a few years ago. Maybe its gone to **** now, i dont know. All i know is my mazda6 loves it.

Can't tell you what SYNERLEC is, but I recall the ads for Certs breath freshener tablets from the 1970s that talked about the miracle additive Retsyn. It turned out that if you looked at the ingredients, Retsyn was identified as simply being vegetable oil. Royal Purple might be pulling something similar . . .
lol.gif

Synerlec might be something simple, like MoDTC.

However I'm not inclined to believe their ** about 'micropolishing'.
rolleyes.gif

the micropolishing is true, but its most likely just the side effect of the Moly. Havoline probably has a similar side effect.

"Micropolishing" is something I avoid. To polish is to abrade and that means induce some wear, if even only initially.

I'd thought about this a couple years back and figured "Synerlec" was either MoDTC (which is now found in almost every oil, to some degree) PTFE (Teflon) or the stuff in one of the other infomercial additives like "Zmax."

I think if it were some type of chlorinated compound, we'd find a lot of soft metal degradation in UOAs and in some applications (like Ed Hackett's Subie) the stuff seems fairly chemically stable.

Of course, I'd like to know the real deal so the chemists that roam this board could comment with some authority.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

the micropolishing might also just be the difference between a new engine and a broken in engine. its marketing, so its hard to say.

ekrampitzjr wrote: "Retsyn was identified as simply being vegetable oil"

Retsyn is a tradmarked name for the combination of copper gluconate and hydrogenated vegetable oil. The combination creates a slow release copper that has some microstatic/antimicrobial properties.

I don't know what "synerlec" is.

Based on RPs website, synerlec is in their "ashless" 2-stroke oil that is called "Aegis." So, synerlec is not a metal salt, metal soap, nor anything else that will leave "ash". They describe it again and again as being polar and adhering tenaciously. My bet is that synerlec is an ester.

quote:

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:
Can't tell you what SYNERLEC is, but I recall the ads for Certs breath freshener tablets from the 1970s that talked about the miracle additive Retsyn. It turned out that if you looked at the ingredients, Retsyn was identified as simply being vegetable oil. Royal Purple might be pulling something similar . . .
lol.gif

Yes, yes, but parse out the name carefully: ret-SYN. See, it's a synthetic vegetable oil . . . and therefore of course, a better breath freshener!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Sounds like an ester to me as well. It sounds pretty close to what Cstrol says their "Startup" brand can do. It is a GroupII/V blend where the esters allow a cling ability to metal and claim to help reduce stress especially at startup.

Hello, everybody.
Street commodores tested 18 engine oils(Redline, Castrol, Mobi1,Valvoline,Shell,pennzoil,Motul & others). Royal Purple ended as the best oil of them all. Street Commodores concluded that the Synerlec stuff seemed to work as advertised. Mobil1, Castrol, Shell and Redline didn't do it well in this test(Timken)and several blends outperformed them. The results were rather surprising for Street Commodores, so they have decided to do more extensive testing.

quote:

Originally posted by jonny-b:
Hello, everybody.
Street commodores tested 18 engine oils(Redline, Castrol, Mobi1,Valvoline,Shell,pennzoil,Motul & others). Royal Purple ended as the best oil of them all. Street Commodores concluded that the Synerlec stuff seemed to work as advertised. Mobil1, Castrol, Shell and Redline didn't do it well in this test(Timken)and several blends outperformed them. The results were rather surprising for Street Commodores, so they have decided to do more extensive testing.

I would like to know what tests were ran (I suppose where the results didn't meet their expectations) and what tests will be ran and how relevant all the tests are to the type of driving being tested.

quote:

Hello, everybody.

confused.gif
Might you have a link, or something. Sounds interesting...

quote:

Hello, everybody.

Which issue ?
It has to be an Aussie mag with that name....

and as far as I was aware, the Timken load test is pretty much irrelevant to engine oils, much like the 4 ball wear test. I believe it tests more the EP capacity of a grease...

I believe I have seen that test. It was the timken test and really doesn't hold much weight in comparison to "real world" engine testing such as oil analysi/engine tear downs/sequence testing done by the API. However, this does not mean RP isn't good oil. They make some of the best racing oils from what I've read on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back