Royal Purple??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Short answer:

Is it better? I would say absolutely. It is the only oil I use in my escape (except for during the break in period.). It has been the best oil I have ever used. I have seen improvements in fuel economy, engine idle and noise.

Is it just rebranded valvoline? NO. I get really tired of this nonsense rumor floating around.

Is it a boutique oil? No. Just because it is made by a smaller refinery doesn't make it a boutique oil.

What about redline? If you want a true gimmick oil, go for redline. My two cents, YMMV.

Is it expensive? Price is relative. Go to Jegs.com. They have the best price on Royal Purple hands down and they provide free shipping.

Which oil should you use? Go with their HMX line. High mileage oil with synerlec additive technology. Outstanding stuff. Visit their website for more details. Awesome stuff I assure you and their customer service is second to none.

Anything else? Pair it with a RP oil filter. Possibly the best filter on the market. Outstanding efficiency and they are built like tanks. Makes other filters (I.E. Fram ultra) looks like children's play toys. I promise you won't be disappointed! Good luck!

P.S. I will be posting some pictures of a dissected RP filter with 8k miles on it soon. Stay tuned for details!

Its always good to see another Champ/Fram syn filter supporter!

Does anyone remember that stupid infomercial RP did in the 90's where they drained all the RP out of a Viper and supposedly hot lapped it for an hour with no oil pressure to show how well RP sticks to cylinder walls and critical wear parts? I wish I could find that video. I remember thinking how stupid the idea was when I saw it and I wasn't even 16 yet.

RP may be a solid quality product, but the gimmicky ads from the past drain any credibility in my mind.

What about redline? If you want a true gimmick oil, go for redline. My two cents, YMMV.

Blanket statements are usually off a bit. My "YMMV" did vary. I hate to be the dorky guy who defends an oil (Hey, it's oil) but that Redline "gimmick" oil has seen 225,000 out of the 242,000 miles on the SE-R in the signature. It has been beat upon, run in an absolutely "fun" manner its whole life, autocrossed, drag raced, road raced, loaned to many members of the family (including teenagers), driven coast to coast three times and it uses no oil in annual changes, has never broken or been opened and, honestly, runs just as strong now as it ever did. It still sees at least one "time trial" to the top and back of my favorite mountain usually once a week to clear my head. I want more gimmicks like the oil that has held all that together.

Short answer:

Is it better? I would say absolutely. It is the only oil I use in my escape (except for during the break in period.). It has been the best oil I have ever used. I have seen improvements in fuel economy, engine idle and noise.

Is it just rebranded valvoline? NO. I get really tired of this nonsense rumor floating around.

Is it a boutique oil? No. Just because it is made by a smaller refinery doesn't make it a boutique oil.

Is it expensive? Price is relative. Go to Jegs.com. They have the best price on Royal Purple hands down and they provide free shipping.

Which oil should you use? Go with their HMX line. High mileage oil with synerlec additive technology. Outstanding stuff. Visit their website for more details. Awesome stuff I assure you and their customer service is second to none.

Anything else? Pair it with a RP oil filter. Possibly the best filter on the market. Outstanding efficiency and they are built like tanks. Makes other filters (I.E. Fram ultra) looks like children's play toys. I promise you won't be disappointed! Good luck!

P.S. I will be posting some pictures of a dissected RP filter with 8k miles on it soon. Stay tuned for details!

None of which says a darn thing, BTW.

And as for gimmicks, which brand's site has a testimonial from someone claiming a 21% fuel economy increase due to the oil? The fact that they post that tells me all I need to know.

Back in 1972 I was kidnapped by midget gypsies driving a Dodge Traveler van. This was the full sized van, it also happened to have wood grained side panels. Not real wood, just vinyl printed with a wood look.
I ended up on Ecuador six months later mopping floors in a very seedy cantina. By seedy I mean a lot of rough hombres passed through those doors. It took me eight months of saving to get the cash together to buy a Renault Fregate from the local priest who could no longer drive due to glaucoma. No amount of panama red could help him so he agreed to sell me the car if I mailed him a case of Bibles when I got back to Arizona. Of course I agreed as I had had enough of the dangerous situations unfolding nightly in that bar.
As soon as I saved enough money for fuel for the trip to the US border (including bribe money for the local constables and federales) I set out in the dead of the night. This was a risky move as I didn't even give the required two weeks notice to the grubby dirtball of a boss I worked for. I made it as far as Chihuahua before the Fregate spun a rod bearing and started knocking like a wood pecker hopped up on smack. I knew for sure I was stuck.
Amazingly enough as I was searching through that old Renault I found 3/4 of a quart of RP in the trunk. That was all it took. The car fired right up, quiet once again, and delivered me safely back to the good old U S of A.

P.S. I am kidding and in no way meant to offend anyone.

P.S.S. I did indeed send Bibles back to that priest. In 1993 there was a knock at my door and lo and behold a young ecuadorian immigrant stood there, tears in his eyes, holding a tattered Bible and thanking me for the wonderful gift.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Royal Purple is no better or worse than any other(non extended OCI) synthetic oil

Maybe, but what are you calling a non-extended OCI synthetic oil? RP has an OCI guarantee exactly between that of M1 and M1 EP, which, of course, is much further than anything Shell offers. Right, Gena?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Royal Purple is no better or worse than any other(non extended OCI) synthetic oil

Maybe, but what are you calling a non-extended OCI synthetic oil? RP has an OCI guarantee exactly between that of M1 and M1 EP, which, of course, is much further than anything Shell offers. Right, Gena?
whistle.gif

Exactly...

LINK
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/1-year-1-oil-change-pledge/

ROYAL PURPLE 1 YEAR / 1 OIL CHANGE PLEDGE
EXTEND YOUR DRAIN INTERVALS WITH ROYAL PURPLE
Our API-Licensed Motor Oil is backed by the Royal Purple 1 YEAR / 1 OIL CHANGE Pledge. What does that mean to you? It means that you can go 1 year between oil changes.* Our API-Licensed Motor Oil combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high performing motor oils that optimize and extend engine performance. The Royal Purple 1 YEAR / 1 OIL Change Pledge is valid for up to 12,000 miles when using Royal Purple API licensed motor oils or the OEM recommended change interval listed in the vehicle owner/operator manual, whichever is longer.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Short answer:

None of which says a darn thing, BTW.

And as for gimmicks, which brand's site has a testimonial from someone claiming a 21% fuel economy increase due to the oil? The fact that they post that tells me all I need to know.

It's diff oil I know, but I just drained the RP 75W140 out of my Nissan, and the purple is black, and it came out complete with globs, two or three "pulses", and when shaken in a glass jar, there's a non uniform surface.

Refilled with Redline.

Just saying.

Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
Back in 1972 I was kidnapped by midget gypsies driving a Dodge Traveler van. This was the full sized van, it also happened to have wood grained side panels. Not real wood, just vinyl printed with a wood look.
I ended up on Ecuador six months later mopping floors in a very seedy cantina. By seedy I mean a lot of rough hombres passed through those doors. It took me eight months of saving to get the cash together to buy a Renault Fregate from the local priest who could no longer drive due to glaucoma. No amount of panama red could help him so he agreed to sell me the car if I mailed him a case of Bibles when I got back to Arizona. Of course I agreed as I had had enough of the dangerous situations unfolding nightly in that bar.
As soon as I saved enough money for fuel for the trip to the US border (including bribe money for the local constables and federales) I set out in the dead of the night. This was a risky move as I didn't even give the required two weeks notice to the grubby dirtball of a boss I worked for. I made it as far as Chihuahua before the Fregate spun a rod bearing and started knocking like a wood pecker hopped up on smack. I knew for sure I was stuck.
Amazingly enough as I was searching through that old Renault I found 3/4 of a quart of RP in the trunk. That was all it took. The car fired right up, quiet once again, and delivered me safely back to the good old U S of A.

crackmeup2.gif

I've never heard any RP fan come up with any proof RP has more/lots-of PAO, more esters, better UOA records, anything, even what in the Hades is this Synerlick stuff made of?
With absolutely no facts to go on, and a company ruled by a marketing dept who like purple dye, why should anybody fall in luv with RP ?
I admit a lot of product knowledge and/or reasons to buy comes down to how much we trust the company, yet wouldn't that make us use the big names (armies of scientists) like Mobil, ShellOPUS, Castrol, Chevron, etc., over RP?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's diff oil I know, but I just drained the RP 75W140 out of my Nissan, and the purple is black, and it came out complete with globs, two or three "pulses", and when shaken in a glass jar, there's a non uniform surface. Refilled with Redline. Just saying.
You'd think it shouldn't glob like that. I like Amsoil SVG for diff oil, based on some test reports.

I took the factory fill diff oil out of my GTO at 45k miles. It smelled like a rotting dead whale, but it sure didn't come out in chunks.

P.S.S. I did indeed send Bibles back to that priest. In 1993 there was a knock at my door and lo and behold a young ecuadorian immigrant stood there, tears in his eyes, holding a tattered Bible and thanking me for the wonderful gift.

You left out the most important part. Your boss had a SUPER HOT Latina daughter that you fall madly in love with and begged you not to go. BUT (as you looked off into the Chihuahua sunset) you looked into Maria's eyes and said,"Baby,the open road is calling me"
19.gif

GREAT POST

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Garak

whistle.gif

Exactly...

LINK
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/1-year-1-oil-change-pledge/

ROYAL PURPLE 1 YEAR / 1 OIL CHANGE PLEDGE
EXTEND YOUR DRAIN INTERVALS WITH ROYAL PURPLE
Our API-Licensed Motor Oil is backed by the Royal Purple 1 YEAR / 1 OIL CHANGE Pledge. What does that mean to you? It means that you can go 1 year between oil changes.* Our API-Licensed Motor Oil combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high performing motor oils that optimize and extend engine performance. The Royal Purple 1 YEAR / 1 OIL Change Pledge is valid for up to 12,000 miles when using Royal Purple API licensed motor oils or the OEM recommended change interval listed in the vehicle owner/operator manual, whichever is longer.

What am I getting at ? AMSOIL !!,

Not 12,000 or oem if it is longer

25000 amsoil signature series
Completely different classes of oil

Seriously tho, I think the signature series is a little better than RP, or any other synthetic out there
My buddy ran it in his civic for 24000 and posted the UOA on here
I think it had 16 ppm iron

Would I spend an extra $5 per quart just to get amsoil? No way. Amsoil is cheaper than RP at Walmart... Just sayin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
You're comparing API Royal Purple to Sig Series Amsoil?

Umm, yes? Let's look at price.

RP 5w30 is $8.42 at Walmart 10 min drive from my house
IMAG0464.jpg

Amsoil signature series 5w30 is $7.85 at warehouse 15 mins from my house
IMAG0463.jpg

Sorry for the pics but at somepoint we needed some hard data instead of the he said she said shenanigans

Next question.

That being said I don't think spending 7.85 a quart for amsoil only to run a 10K OCI is the best idea

I would rather buy M1/QSUD/PP for the $23 jug at Walmart for those applications

Last edited:
Rofl,
Ok do you want a pic of the price of OE
IMAG0465.jpg

So I can go on amsoil api OE until my MM% on my car tells me to change which is about 10K... So $4.70 a quart for 10K Oci vs RP at $8.70 a quart

Last edited:
I was pointing out that you were comparing an API oil to one that isn't. I could care less what the price is since i have no dog in this fight. If you go back and check, you'll see price was never mentioned in my posts.

So your new car specs an API 5w30, other than that they say to follow the MM

$4.70 You could buy amsoil OE and follow the MM

$8.42 Buy RP and follow MM to protect warranty

$8.42 Buy RP and run 12k OCI potentially voiding warranty

$7.85 buy amsoil SS and run 25k OCI also potentially voiding warranty

$4.99 a quart Buy Mobil 1 5w30 for $24.97 a 5 at jug from Walmart

What do you choose?

Cheapest ,warranty safe? Amsoil OE or M1...... Not RP
Best price per mile potentially voiding warranty.... amsoil SS, not RP

Pablo will give you a free amsoil acct for wholesale prices ask him

Last edited:
Status