royal purple vs mobil 1 vs pennzoil platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 to me is garbage so go with PP. I don't know anything about RP. By me RP and M1 are almost 7 bucks a quart. PP can be found for $4. Easy for me to choose.

My friend has a car and he is getting ready to start using RP 5w20 exclusively with his vehicle at 5k mi on the odometer. I think he will be doing 7,500mi OCIs. I told him to wait until the 3rd run of RP to do a UOA because from what I have seen, there seems to be a bit of a transition period with RP. Hopefully he'll drive the crap out of it and we can find out soon!

los angeles
grin.gif

thx all

Any one should work just fine. Maybe you should choose the one you can get on sale. If your driving and weather are moderate, you could buy a cheaper oil and do just as well.

Are you in Liberia?

I have no idea how RP 5W20 behaves. I know I was never impressed with RP 5W30. It would shear out of grade 99% of the time. I do not think that a premium priced synthetic oil in 5W30 should shear!! Depending on your OCI the PP may or may not be a bargin. We know that M1 will do a good job even at longer milage and time intervals. We have no idea how well the PP will do. I would try them both M1 and PP and see what you see? The longer the OCI the more M1 and M1EP will pull ahead of PP.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I have no idea how RP 5W20 behaves. I know I was never impressed with RP 5W30. It would shear out of grade 99% of the time. I do not think that a premium priced synthetic oil in 5W30 should shear!! Depending on your OCI the PP may or may not be a bargin. We know that M1 will do a good job even at longer milage and time intervals. We have no idea how well the PP will do. I would try them both M1 and PP and see what you see? The longer the OCI the more M1 and M1EP will pull ahead of PP.

yes, I've used M1 nearly the entire life of this car, I even recently had an incident where i was a moron and the drain bolt fell out and i drove a block with no oil and the oil analysis showed basically no damage at all. I wonder if the residual M1 helped at all.
tongue.gif

link

I feel a bit like a traitor now for even considering anything else besides M1 now that you mention it.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:

quote:

M1 to me is garbage so go with PP.

Not to knock the Pennzoil Platinum, but if I regarded THIS piece of "expert" opinion, I'd have to run like he11 from the PP.

That offering is the most "expert" I've seen so far.
lol.gif

Not taking sides here, but I remember reading a post from speedtc where he used M1 and said how G0d awful it made his engine sound. Something like a bag of rocks was in it (or something). Sometimes the best "expert" advice we can give on a particular matter is strictly out of personal opinion and/or point of view...
cheers.gif

well not to start a fight,Mobil is a very fine oil,and so is Royal Purple,what is Penzoil Platium?? this stuff PP is one of the overly tested engine oils by Shell,Up Shell,I personally would use PP over the other Mobil and Royal P,,Penz Plat is very good for your engine,as a step up is Schaeffers and Amsoil,But not by much,engine design and frequency of change outs also make a difference along with oil filter,..BL

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:
RP $6
M1 $5
PP $4

for 5w-20, all available locally at listed price, for an 03 2.4L honda, which is preferred?

I just switched today to Pennzoil Platinum in my 06 Acura TL. I originally had the dealer switch to synthetic (they put in Castrol Syntec) at my first oil change. I put in 5-20 Platinum and a Mobil 1 oil filter today (2nd oil change) and this may sound nuts but I swear the engine feels like it runs smoother now. I've followed this site for a while now and have heard similar claims and ignored them - until now.
smile.gif

[/QUOTE] I even recently had an incident where i was a moron and the drain bolt fell out and i drove a block with no oil and the oil analysis showed basically no damage at all. I wonder if the residual M1 helped at all.
tongue.gif

NO.

AA also has the PP on sale thru July 29 for $2.44/qt (after $15 rebate on a case of 6) and they are MUCH better about sending rebates then the PoopBoys.

(link removed-it was making the page too wide for some browers)

[ July 02, 2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back