Royal Purple vs Amsoil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
If if fails the test with air it may or may not pass with oil.

That's right...And it may pass the air test and leak oil after a couple days.
I never claimed my little check was anything more than playing the odds. I'm sure as h--- not buying a filter that blows by the AD valve.
StevieC can do whatever he wants. It's his engine.

over 170K KM's and no problems to date. My dad has over 300K KM on his caravan using FRAMS and no problem to date... I'm sure one of us would come into contact with these supposed faulty filters.
wink.gif

Lets get at least 400 km or 250K miles out of an engine before we call it worn.
Especially since my truck often sets un-started for 3-7 days, I'm going to keep spending the extra 10 seconds per OC to blow into filters, bro.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Recently I was in Gainesville Fl. and while there I stoped in at Pep Boys to buy a new gas cap. While loofing in the oil section I saw my first RP filter and was surprised at the price. $15.99! I'm not sure what the attraction would be to pay that much.

$14.99 for them here( NH - so far it seems to be a blanket price regardless of part # at my local PB ). K&N and M1 run $10.99-$13.99.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't find a link that identifies either as having manufacturing in Mexico ..but I believe that Donaldson does.

I have some Donaldson filters in stock, the ELF7348 is made in Mexico (marked on box & filter).

You be hard pressed to find an RP products in this part of Michigan. Local parts store chain used to carry it but it was not selling.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: tig1
Recently I was in Gainesville Fl. and while there I stoped in at Pep Boys to buy a new gas cap. While loofing in the oil section I saw my first RP filter and was surprised at the price. $15.99! I'm not sure what the attraction would be to pay that much.

$14.99 for them here( NH - so far it seems to be a blanket price regardless of part # at my local PB ). K&N and M1 run $10.99-$13.99.

Exactly the same prices in south florida.

Next OCI I plan on trying a RP filter. I used one on my mothers TL about a month ago. Oil is staying quite clean thus far. My only concern is that they might not sell very many at Pep Boys and discontinue them!?? I am running an EaO on my tacoma right now and the valve train is much louder than with a mobil 1. It would be interesting to see particle counts between the M1, EaO and RP filters. There is a member of bitog who is doing this with the exclusion of the RP in his Tundra.

Last edited:
Sure thing stevieC. Just have to figure out how to post pics on here. I just havent taken the time as of yet to sit down and figure it out. Should be fairly easy from what gary allen has told me.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Next OCI I plan on trying a RP filter. I used one on my mothers TL about a month ago. Oil is staying quite clean thus far. My only concern is that they might not sell very many at Pep Boys and discontinue them!?? I am running an EaO on my tacoma right now and the valve train is much louder than with a mobil 1. It would be interesting to see particle counts between the M1, EaO and RP filters. There is a member of bitog who is doing this with the exclusion of the RP in his Tundra.

I see from your signature that you have a 2006 V6 Tacoma. I had an 05 with the 4.0L and it was extremely picky on filters. Got tons of drivetrain noise( not just at start up either - at load and highway speeds ). The M1 filter made most of it go away. I tried quite a few and the M1 was the best of the bunch for reducing the DT noise. If you do try an RP filter I would be curious to know what it does for the DT noise.

Oh, and I don't think they will be going away from PB shelves any time soon. My local PB can't keep the more popular sizes on the shelf. Started out slow they tell me but they are now outselling K&N and M1 by at least a 3 to 1 margin despite the $14.99 price tag. At least here they have caught on big time. Figures my filter is one of the more popular ones too. I have one left here at home. Next time PB has some kind of deal( like the recent $10 off $30 or more )I will grab a couple more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Sure thing stevieC. Just have to figure out how to post pics on here. I just havent taken the time as of yet to sit down and figure it out. Should be fairly easy from what gary allen has told me.
You can e-mail them to me and I will post them in my web space for you to link to or you could use Photo-Bucket like the other members do here...

The RP looks very similar to the new TRD oil filters, the only difference seems to be the gaskets, and the 1 inch nut at the top which the RP doesn't have.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Amsoil EAO filters are primarily made by Baldwin but I thought I read somewhere that Champion is also making certain filters. (Not sure though)

Baldwin was the manufacturer of choice back when Amsoil also marketed Hastings.

As you'll note, Amsoil now markets WIX (WINK:WINK) and Donaldson (WINK
wink.gif
WINK)

I can't find a link that identifies either as having manufacturing in Mexico ..but I believe that Donaldson does.
So your saying in a wink, wink, nod, nod, kind of way, that Amsoil's EAO filters are made by Donaldson (he asked knowingly)?

Last edited:
Amsoil's media is manufactured by Amsoil under license for the SYNTEQ process. Wix is the probable man of choice for many of the filters (and probably the EaBp line) but not all. All Donaldson Endurance filters are available ...except where they conflict with EaO numbers.

Essentially, as far as I can nail down the implied invisible elephants in the various rooms, Amsoil has license and marketing agreements with Donaldson ..and marketing agreements with WIX...and probably manufacturing agreements with both.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Amsoil's media is manufactured by Amsoil under license for the SYNTEQ process. Wix is the probable man of choice for many of the filters (and probably the EaBp line) but not all. All Donaldson Endurance filters are available ...except where they conflict with EaO numbers.

Essentially, as far as I can nail down the implied invisible elephants in the various rooms, Amsoil has license and marketing agreements with Donaldson ..and marketing agreements with WIX...and probably manufacturing agreements with both.
Thanks Mr. Allan. My intial thought was actually Honeywell (they have plants in Mexico). I'll just settle on that they are made by both Donaldson and Wix. Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
Too bad RP don't make the oil filter for my application.

-ttvr4

Do you know if RP will make air filters too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back