Royal Purple vs Amsoil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
The Search I did came up with a thread talking about the filter and a Bypass unit so I assumed it was a bypass style filter for a bypass unit...

LOL.gif

I think that you're looking at it all wrong.

I'd say that PB wanted to sell upscale high cost filters. They approached RP about renting their name. They chose Champ Labs for the lowest cost HIGH quality manufacturing vendor since they already make M1 and K&N.

You can tell that RP hasn't a thing to do with it. If it was RP's baby, they would be offering them on their own site. They don't sell these filters. They sell Cantons
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I think that you're looking at it all wrong.

I'd say that PB wanted to sell upscale high cost filters. They approached RP about renting their name. They chose Champ Labs for the lowest cost HIGH quality manufacturing vendor since they already make M1 and K&N.

You can tell that RP hasn't a thing to do with it. If it was RP's baby, they would be offering them on their own site. They don't sell these filters. They sell Cantons
LOL.gif

This is actually my understanding of it. I don't believe RP actually had anything to do with the filters. PB bought the rights to have them made and sell them with the RP name on them.

What does it really matter who licensed it, who sells, and who makes it? It's a [censored] filter, I could care less about the rest.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
What does it really matter who licensed it, who sells, and who makes it? It's a badarse filter, I could care less about the rest.

I would say it only matters in the respect that people want to try them but not everyone has a PepBoys near them where they can do so. People keep asking about other retail sources but unfortunately, due to the reason discussed here, they can't buy them anywhere else. I think some people anyway would like to know why they are only offered at PB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
What does it really matter who licensed it, who sells, and who makes it? It's a badarse filter, I could care less about the rest.

I would say it only matters in the respect that people want to try them but not everyone has a PepBoys near them where they can do so. People keep asking about other retail sources but unfortunately, due to the reason discussed here, they can't buy them anywhere else. I think some people anyway would like to know why they are only offered at PB.

I agree with you on the availability issue. It just looked like this may turn into a bashing thread like most do.

I'm on my third day with the filter and I'm amazed every morning I start the car. It's the same time to pressure whether it's the first start of the day or a restart after sitting for 5 minutes. And this is with an upright filter. Glad mine is not upside down like some.

I talked to some guys running the EAO13, the stock sized filter for this car and they have no problems with time to pressure. I'm running an EAO13 (oversized for her car) on the girlfriend's Murano and there was no change in time to pressure. I wonder if this problem is unique to the 20??? The 13 also passed the suck/blow test.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with the Amsoil filters. I just don't use their products. Can't really say in regards to your theory.

Last edited:
I use the 20's on my truck and they work fine. All the ones I have in the Garage are sealed in plastic inside the boxes otherwise I would do the suck/blow test but the one I put on my truck last weekend didn't pass this so called test.

It's not causing dry-starts like other filters have done in the past so I'm not sure how much merit this test has, at least in my application anyways...

thumbsup2.gif

New here.....

not sure I want to know what the so called "suck and blow" test is......but I'll bite. Lay it on me.

On a side note. On my EAO filters, they are stamped as "made in Mexico". Anyone know who manufactures them for Amsoil?? Are they made by Honeywell (which has a plant in Mexico)??

Amsoil EAO filters are primarily made by Baldwin but I thought I read somewhere that Champion is also making certain filters. (Not sure though)

The Suck/Blow test
LOL.gif
is a new way of supposedly checking the ADBV in the filter. If air from your mouth only moves one way then the filters ADBV is supposedly working.

I think this is a great way to tell if someone is a BITOG-er or not, but holds little if no real world truth, although there are some on here that think it might.

cheers3.gif
and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: herrhaus
The only "suck and blow test" that I was previously aware of dates back to high school..... :)

Thanks for the welcome.

LOL.gif

You're welcome!

I wouldn't say it's a meaningless test. The EAO that did not pass the test also caused a longer time to pressure on a cold start. The RP that passed the test has a much shorter time to pressure.

I would guess that if it passes the test with air it will pass with oil. If if fails the test with air it may or may not pass with oil.

I didn't say it was meaningless I said it had meaning for some folk. I personally don't believe it to be an accurate way to test a filter. But you are entitled to do it.
wink.gif

Quote:
Amsoil EAO filters are primarily made by Baldwin but I thought I read somewhere that Champion is also making certain filters. (Not sure though)

Baldwin was the manufacturer of choice back when Amsoil also marketed Hastings.

As you'll note, Amsoil now markets WIX (WINK:WINK) and Donaldson (WINK
wink.gif
WINK)

I can't find a link that identifies either as having manufacturing in Mexico ..but I believe that Donaldson does.

Recently I was in Gainesville Fl. and while there I stoped in at Pep Boys to buy a new gas cap. While loofing in the oil section I saw my first RP filter and was surprised at the price. $15.99! I'm not sure what the attraction would be to pay that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back