Royal Purple vs Amsoil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the talk of the new Royal Purple filters on here I had to try one. The one thing I've never liked about the EAO filters is it seems like the ADBV doesn't work at all. This has always been in the back of my mind. Once the car has been started for the first time in the day and the engine is warm, pressure is pretty quick going by the idiot light. But when it sits all night, there was a noticable difference in time to pressure over factory and the M1 filter. I've been through a bunch of EAOs since I've used them exclusively from the 3rd oil change on and they all fail the suck blow test and they all take about the same time to pressure. I'm one of those people that always watch the idiot light when starting.

So I tried the RP filter without changing the oil. I didn't want to add any variables and I just did an oil change anyway. Didn't notice much at first since the engine was warm and the oil had been flowing. This morning was it's first test. I started it and watching the light, it went out by the time I was releasing the key from the start position. Just as fast as if I shut it off and immediately restarted hot. I didn't drive all day and the car sat until this evening. When I started it again, same thing, the light went out nearly instantly. What a difference! I ran some errands and the car would sit for about 20 minutes at a time. There's no doubt it got pressure faster every time. I'm kind of [censored] that the Amsoil filters are so terrible in the ADBV department. In this case I may have had less wear with a cheap Fram filter with a functioning ADBV. The RP filter also has the 0-ring style gasket.

This was the S2000 filter, PN 10-2808 vs the Amsoil equivilent EAO 20. After reading that both are a fully synthetic media with similar filtering and flow capabilities, I'm sticking with the RP.

Good to know, because I'm a fan of the EAO's... What is the Micron rating on the RP filters? Is it 15 like the EAO's?

I might have to order one to try for myself too as my Santa Fe can be very picky with filters.
wink.gif

Thanks Bud!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Good to know, because I'm a fan of the EAO's... What is the Micron rating on the RP filters? Is it 15 like the EAO's?

I might have to order one to try for myself too as my Santa Fe can be very picky with filters.
wink.gif

Thanks Bud!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm a big fan of the EAOs too.

There's a thread somewhere in here that showed filtration to be equal, possibly slightly better with the RP. It's close enough that I wouldn't bother switching based on the filtration alone.

On their website it says 99% at 25 Micron. I think EAO's are 99% at 15 micron. So I think there is a difference on paper, but real world it might be the same ?!?

Thoughts ???

On their website it says 99% at 25 Micron. I think EAO's are 99% at 15 micron. So I think there is a difference on paper, but real world it might be the same ?!?

Thoughts ???

Here's what I found:

Amsoil EaO Oil Filter Royal Purple Oil Filter

98.7% @ 15 microns 99.5% @ 20 microns
65% @ 10 microns 88% @ 10 microns
50% @ 7 microns 60% @ 5 microns

Found here- http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1374742

Sold... Gonna get me some and try it. Those numbers as good enough for me.

I was poking around the RP website and found out that the 5w30 is SL rated... I wonder if this is an old document or if in fact it has higher ZDDP levels. If that's the case then maybe I will use the oil too ???

Thoughts on this??? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread!)

Most of their oils are SL rated. So no I do not think it is an old document. I have brand new RP 10w40 oil in front of me and it is also SL rated. I'm using the RP 10w40 with the RP filter as soon as I get done with my ARX cleaning. :)

Sold... Gonna get me some and try it. Those numbers as good enough for me.

I was poking around the RP website and found out that the 5w30 is SL rated... I wonder if this is an old document or if in fact it has higher ZDDP levels. If that's the case then maybe I will use the oil too ???

Thoughts on this??? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread!)

RP has resisted/refused going to SM on all but a small handful of odd weights due to the lowering of allowable ZDDP. They feel the SL oils are superior. So the 5W-30 info you found is current. Their 5W-30 is an excellent oil. I have run it for a lot of years, in a variety of vehicles, with excellent results. GIve it a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
After all the talk of the new Royal Purple filters on here I had to try one. The one thing I've never liked about the EAO filters is it seems like the ADBV doesn't work at all. This has always been in the back of my mind. Once the car has been started for the first time in the day and the engine is warm, pressure is pretty quick going by the idiot light. But when it sits all night, there was a noticable difference in time to pressure over factory and the M1 filter. I've been through a bunch of EAOs since I've used them exclusively from the 3rd oil change on and they all fail the suck blow test and they all take about the same time to pressure. I'm one of those people that always watch the idiot light when starting.

So I tried the RP filter without changing the oil. I didn't want to add any variables and I just did an oil change anyway. Didn't notice much at first since the engine was warm and the oil had been flowing. This morning was it's first test. I started it and watching the light, it went out by the time I was releasing the key from the start position. Just as fast as if I shut it off and immediately restarted hot. I didn't drive all day and the car sat until this evening. When I started it again, same thing, the light went out nearly instantly. What a difference! I ran some errands and the car would sit for about 20 minutes at a time. There's no doubt it got pressure faster every time. I'm kind of [censored] that the Amsoil filters are so terrible in the ADBV department. In this case I may have had less wear with a cheap Fram filter with a functioning ADBV. The RP filter also has the 0-ring style gasket.

This was the S2000 filter, PN 10-2808 vs the Amsoil equivilent EAO 20. After reading that both are a fully synthetic media with similar filtering and flow capabilities, I'm sticking with the RP.

I think I just saw a pig fly by my window. BuickGN saying something good about an RP product and actually using it!
shocked2.gif

J/K
LOL.gif

I am running an RP filter now on my 08 HEMI Ram. 20-820.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I think I just saw a pig fly by my window. BuickGN saying something good about an RP product and actually using it!
shocked2.gif

J/K
LOL.gif

I am running an RP filter now on my 08 HEMI Ram. 20-820.

LOL. I'm crossing over to the dark err purple side. It seems to be a great product. Now if only their oil was as good.......kidding. Probably the best full flow filtration for automotive use and a better gasket and ADBV than the Amsoil unit.

Besides, I've always been jealous of the purple in your signature.

My owners manual says I can use an SG or better oil, so I guess SL will be fine!
LOL.gif
(Kidding)

As for the filter, I'm really eager to see how it performs because my truck can be quite picky with filters/oil. She's cranky!
grin2.gif

As for Purple in the signature, it should start out in Purple and end in Brown like the Engine oil...
LOL.gif

I like some of the strict control processes they use... You can see this on the video on their main home page. It's pretty cool.

I will venture over to my local RP dealer sometime in the coming weeks and pickup some and see how it works out... First I will try the filter with my Amsoil so that only the filter has been changed in the equation.

Thanks for the good info...

cheers3.gif

My owners manual says I can use an SG or better oil, so I guess SL will be fine!
LOL.gif
(Kidding)

As for the filter, I'm really eager to see how it performs because my truck can be quite picky with filters/oil. She's cranky!
grin2.gif

As for Purple in the signature, it should start out in Purple and end in Brown like the Engine oil...
LOL.gif

I like some of the strict control processes they use... You can see this on the video on their main home page. It's pretty cool.

I will venture over to my local RP dealer sometime in the coming weeks and pickup some and see how it works out... First I will try the filter with my Amsoil so that only the filter has been changed in the equation.

Thanks for the good info...

cheers3.gif

Just out of curiosity what is the application that is picky on filters? I have had 2 vehicles that were real picky on filters or you got a lot of drivetrain noise( not just as cold start either ). A 2005 4.0L Toyota Tacoma and a 2008 3.4L Chevy Equinox. The Toyota liked M1 filters and the Chevy liked AC. They both hated Wix/Napa which I found odd.

I have seen that video too. Looks like some kind of hi tech lab doing top secret weapons or medical research.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
As for the colours in the Signature, I'm funnin' with yah...

My Santa Fe 2.7 Litre is picky on filters and oil choice... It ticks like crazy when cold/hot depending on filter/oil choice. The only ones that seem to work is Amsoil, M1 in the cold and EAO or Wix filters...

yes the RP filters seem killer i almost bought some up but sence i can get the AC UPF and the Fleetgaurd(StrataPore)synthetic filters for $9ish
banana2.gif
,, i passed on them.

As for the colours in the Signature, I'm funnin' with yah...

My Santa Fe 2.7 Litre is picky on filters and oil choice... It ticks like crazy when cold/hot depending on filter/oil choice. The only ones that seem to work is Amsoil, M1 in the cold and EAO or Wix filters...

No offense taken. I know you were joking.
thumbsup2.gif

Are these only available at Pep Boys? Anyone know?
We have no Pep Boys for hundreds of miles and I can't seem to find them for sale online either. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Are these only available at Pep Boys? Anyone know?
We have no Pep Boys for hundreds of miles and I can't seem to find them for sale online either. Thanks.

Yes,,ONLY at PB for OTC.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back