Royal Purple users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on here a long time RP user? I'm looking for any feedback on this stuff. The UOA section is a bit thin on RP results. I just recently changed over from M1 5W20 to RP 5W20 in my '08 Mustang GT mainly out of curiosity to try something new. Please don't turn this into a "try Amsoil or PP" thread as I am only interested in anyone's experience with RP. Thanks!

Purple Purple ... :) Good Oil... Im jumping between those 3 in my sig.

But no you will not gain any HP.. :D;)

Last edited:
I've been using it for several years now in 5w-30 trim for both my vehicles. Have nothing but good things to say about it.

I gave it a try after using M1 for about 5 years. So far It`s excellent! I`ve tried the 15W40 and the 20W50 weights. I bought a case of their 20w50.

Like Ndx,I`m going back and forth between a couple of different oils to keep from getting bored :^P......RP 20W50 and VR1 20W50. Both of these oils so far have given me excellent results in the way my car runs/performs. Whisper silent startups and smooth as silk wot runs.

Last edited:
Im using their Synchromax Tranny Fluid and their 75140 Gear Oil in my 07 Stang GT with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
Im using their Synchromax Tranny Fluid and their 75140 Gear Oil in my 07 Stang GT with excellent results.
Same here with good results also. My rear axle had a moderate gear whine from 65-75 mph. Ford came out with a TSB to hang a dampener weight behind each backing plate. This fixed about 75% of the whine and the RP 75W140 fixed the rest! I was so pleased that I tried the Synchromax in the tranny and its quieter also. These are the main reasons I wanted to try their motor oil. Guess I'll run it one OCI and see.

Forgot to mention that I'm using the 75w90 Gear oil with superb results in my Cherokees f/r axles as well. Also using their Max ATF in the AW4 tranny for awhile now with exceedingly good results.

I tried it and found that it drained away from the lifters in my engine and caused dry-startup. It also wasn't the best for gas mileage in my engine. I have switched to Amsoil, and haven't gone back since. I might try it again in future, but I'm hesitant to... I know the talk around here seems to be that most don't care for it because for the price you can get other products which seem to perform better. To each their own...
grin2.gif

Have used it since mid-2008 on a new vehicle since switching over to synthetic after the first oil change, and have had excellent results with it and plan to stay with RP 5W-30 long term over any other synthetic oil. Fuel efficiency and engine temperature have both improved in my particular case. Retail costs for RP synthetic is somewhat cheaper than other popular synthetic oils such as Mobil-1, in my area. Recommended.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Anyone on here a long time RP user? I'm looking for any feedback on this stuff.

I have run it since approx 1990. I have nothing but good to say about it. I have run the 5W-30 and 10W-30 99.9% of the time though. I ran one OC of 5W-20 in my 04 HEMI Ram but ended up selling it shortly after the OC. My 08 Ram calls for 5W-20 and I want to run the 5W-20 but have concerns about warranty issues as it does not have the right API certification( only API SL and I need SM/API Starburst ). That would be the only thing that would keep me from using it.

I also have run, in various vehicles, RP's MaxGear gear oils( 75W-90 and 75W-140 ), MaxATF tranny fluid, and their Purple Ice coolant additive. Basically if they have what I need for my vehicle I use it.

I have used it in Daily Drivers, Muscle Cars, and bracket racing drag vehicles with nothing but EXCELLENT results. IMO it would be an excellent choice for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have run it since approx 1990. I have nothing but good to say about it. I have run the 5W-30 and 10W-30 99.9% of the time though. I ran one OC of 5W-20 in my 04 HEMI Ram but ended up selling it shortly after the OC. My 08 Ram calls for 5W-20 and I want to run the 5W-20 but have concerns about warranty issues as it does not have the right API certification( only API SL and I need SM/API Starburst ). That would be the only thing that would keep me from using it.

I also have run, in various vehicles, RP's MaxGear gear oils( 75W-90 and 75W-140 ), MaxATF tranny fluid, and their Purple Ice coolant additive. Basically if they have what I need for my vehicle I use it.

I have used it in Daily Drivers, Muscle Cars, and bracket racing drag vehicles with nothing but EXCELLENT results. IMO it would be an excellent choice for your vehicle.
Thank you very much, thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for. My only concern is like yours....the API SL instead of the SM rating. I put Ford's 100k mile extended warranty on this car and don't want any warranty issues down the road. I can't imagine that would ever happen since the 4.6 V-8 is pretty bulletproof and if this oil is as good as I think it is.

There is good explanation why its API SL ... its because they care more about your engine then a catalytic converter ...

IS your Car API SM ? or SL

Do you have another car you are buying oil for that is SM rated? Keep the receipts for that for this car and just claim you used it in this car.
LOL.gif

I agree...screw the converter. I want the better oil! Yes its SM according to the manual.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Converters are cheaper than most engines... What were they thinking?
LOL true.

And the crazy thing is a worn out engine will probably pollute more than a converter not working properly because of some ZINC Exposure. But a worn out engine will definitely degrade a converter so it makes much more sense to protect the engine and not the converter... Guess that's why I work in the Food Industry!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
And the crazy thing is a worn out engine will probably pollute more than a converter not working properly because of some ZINC Exposure. But a worn out engine will definitely degrade a converter so it makes much more sense to protect the engine and not the converter... Guess that's why I work in the Food Industry!
LOL.gif

How true but the tree huggers don't agree with us. They would rather we all did this to our cars!
15.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back