Royal Purple Syncromax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of using this in my Focus with the MTX75 manual tranny. I read the old thread on here (searched) regarding the Ford fluid (honey) and the Terry Haines recommendations.

What are all you other Focus owners using in your MTX75? I can get the RP for $13/quart locally.

I have a ZX2, not the same tranny as you.
But he Ford honey sauce is reportedly great. Amsoil and Redline make superb tranny oils, as well.

I am not a fan of RP anything.
I'd use one of the other three I mentioned.

I have an MTX-75 that has had Syncromax in it for years. Works great. Much smoother shifting compared to OEM fluid. I'll be replacing it with the same in the somewhat-near-future. I paid about the same for it, too($13).

I have not used RP SM in your application but if it is compatible with your fluid needs it is an excellent product as are all of their fluids.

I have a 1996 Contour with the 5 sp manual MTX that originally spec'd ATF then in 2000 they spec'd the Ford "Gold" 75W-90 manual tranny fluid. I had the Ford Gold for a while, everything was fine. Went to replace it and several dealers didn't stock it and didn't want to order it unless I bought the entire case. From a Contour site I was a member of Royal Purple Synchromax was recommended as a good alternative. Been using it for several. It shifts just fine. And it has the EP & AW that this tranny needs. Plus I paid mail order $9/qt shipped versus $21/qt at the dealer for the "Gold", it lives up to it's name
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

Guys, careful about throwing around various names of synchro fluids and assuming they are all comparable/interchangeable. Their viscosity varies greatly:

Syncromesh Fluid - Viscosity in cSt

ATF type: 6.0 – 7.5 typical

Honda MTF II 7.5
Royal Purple Synchromax 7.7

GM/Chrysler Synchromesh type: 8.5-10.0 typical
Torco MTF 8.35
Pennzoil Syncromesh: 9.08
Amsoil MTF (5W-30) 9.6
Red Line Oil MTL 10.6
Honda MTF I 10-11?

75W-85 Gear Oils: 12.0-12.5 typical
Specialty Formulations MTL-P 12.0-12.5
Castrol Syntorq 75W-85 12.0???
Nissan 75W-85 12.0???

90 weight Gear oils: 15-16.5 typical
Chevron Delo 80W-90 14.2
Royal Purple Max Gear 14.5 (Claimed:21)
Amsoil MTG 14.7
Mobil 1 75W-90 15.2
Pennzoil GL4 75W-90 15.3
Red Line Oil MT-90 15.6

Just put Amsoil MTF in my Honda in place of Honda Genuine MTF. I must say it does shift smoother, even when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back