Royal Purple or Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing the oil in my wife's 2012 Escape 3.0 soon. I have been using 6 qts Royal purple 5w20 and various filters so far. I have heard a lot of good things about Pennzoil Platinum recently, and while at walmart I noticed that it is considerably cheaper than RP. I know one of these threads went around a couple years ago, but what is the final verdict? I used the RP because of the synerlec and have always had good luck with everything RP, but if PP is the same as or better than the RP I'll save the $12 and go with PP.

API SN RP does not have Synerlec. Only the HPS, non API versions of RP have synerlec.

RP is a great oil but for a daily driver, there is no reason to spend more.

If your buying the RP at Wally I don't think it has the synerlec.
PP, M1, EDGE or any name brand syn at Wally is a better deal and doubt it will effect your vehicle at all. Jmho

Originally Posted By: badtlc
API SN RP does not have Synerlec. Only the HPS, non API versions of RP have synerlec.

The 5w40 does. It's the only one.

Originally Posted By: dparm

You'll have to link some evidence for that. The 5W40 is API SM which would indicate it does not contain any Synerlec. RP's site says that if you want Synerlec, you need to use the HPS oils.

Originally Posted By: dparm

You'll have to link some evidence for that. The 5W40 is API SM which would indicate it does not contain any Synerlec. RP's site says that if you want Synerlec, you need to use the HPS oils.

Their technical support guys told me in an email in 2012:

The only RP SAE street oil that still contains Synerlec is the 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle). The update to API SN and ILSAC GF-5 required compliance with chemistry restrictions that precluded the use of Synerlec and required a reduction in anti-wear additive. We did introduce a new line of performance street oils, though. Royal Purple HPS oils are an improvement of the older street synthetic oils, all containing a generous dose of Synerlec and high levels of anti-wear additive.

I drank the PPU juice for my van and have been getting a noticable mileage increase.

I think past RP posts were saying the base oils are group 2+ ??
Was branded a boutique oil.

I'm switching away from VV synpower to PPU.

Alright I was wrong. No synerlec in the Wally World RP. Their website just says "increased additive package". I assumed synerlec and was wrong on that one. So back to the issue, does anyone have any info on PP vs RP? Yes, I know it's not a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean I want to use the best commercially available oil in it!

Originally Posted By: EricF
I drank the PPU juice for my van and have been getting a noticable mileage increase.

I think past RP posts were saying the base oils are group 2+ ??
Was branded a boutique oil.

I'm switching away from VV synpower to PPU.

RP is PAO and Esters.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The PP is a much better value.

Why do you say that? FWIW Where I am it is about $10 cheaper than Royal Purple. I don't think ten whole dollars will break the bank for a better oil. But if its (Pennzoils) properties are the same and/or greater than Royal Purple, I wouldn't be against saving that ten dollars towards...say...another filter.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I will be changing the oil in my wife's 2012 Escape 3.0 soon. .... if PP is the same as or better than the RP I'll save the $12 and go with PP.

Save more. Your Escape does not ask for synthetic. Use PYB, cheaper and at least not worse. Just curious, why do you use synthetic? What benefits are you expecting?

Originally Posted By: timeau
I will be changing the oil in my wife's 2012 Escape 3.0 soon. .... if PP is the same as or better than the RP I'll save the $12 and go with PP.

Save more. Your Escape does not ask for synthetic. Use PYB, cheaper and at least not worse. Just curious, why do you use synthetic? What benefits are you expecting?

Factory spec is 5-20 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. The day I put Royal Purple in it (its 4th oil change) it gained a considerable amount of fuel economy ( about 3 mpg +/-). Thats not the OLM, thats me calculating it at fill ups. We bought this car brand new, and it will replace my truck when the time comes. I plan on using the best oil I can, even if I dont run crazy extended oil change intervals in it.

Last i checked the jug of RP at walmart was over $40 and the PP was $25. The API SN RP doesn't contain any synerlec and i would be surprised if it contained any PAO/Esters either.

PP is already overkill for this application, use the money you save and buy a Fram Ultra. If you can throw money around like it's nobody's business, go for the Amsoil Signature series.

Factory spec is 5-20 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. The day I put Royal Purple in it (its 4th oil change) it gained a considerable amount of fuel economy ( about 3 mpg +/-). Thats not the OLM, thats me calculating it at fill ups. We bought this car brand new, and it will replace my truck when the time comes. I plan on using the best oil I can, even if I dont run crazy extended oil change intervals in it.

I say give PP a try for a few OCIs and see how your vehicle behaves. If it likes it, stick with it and save a few bucks. PP and RP will both protect your vehicle just fine, and prevent your vehicle from having any oil related break downs. Neither one is going to allow something to happen that the other one would've prevented. So try the PP, and if the Escape likes it then you can stick with it and save some cash.

If after a few OCIs you're not liking it, then switch back to RP. No harm done.

As others have noted, API SN RP does not have the excellent Synerlec additive.
API SN RP is very similer to Synpower.
Nothing wrong with it and it should perform well in service, but you're paying a premium for a sodium based add pack over Synpower or NAPA's version of it.
PP is good stuff, as are Ultra and M1.
You could use any of these plus Synpower or NAPA's labeled version of it for less money.
Your engine would be fine on any of these oils.
No need to pay a premium for faux RP.

It sort of sounds like your heart is set on the RP. If so, disregard all the good advice in this thread and go with your emotional choice. You could do a lot worse than RP.

Originally Posted By: sicko

I say give PP a try for a few OCIs and see how your vehicle behaves. If it likes it, stick with it and save a few bucks. PP and RP will both protect your vehicle just fine, and prevent your vehicle from having any oil related break downs. Neither one is going to allow something to happen that the other one would've prevented. So try the PP, and if the Escape likes it then you can stick with it and save some cash.

If after a few OCIs you're not liking it, then switch back to RP. No harm done.

This sounds like a plan. I will probably stick with the RP this oil change since (A) No one has really said one is definatively better than the other because of ______. (B) Because I still have that RP oil filter waiting to be used! I will try PP on the next run, most likely with a Purolator Synthetic filter or Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: wemay
It sort of sounds like your heart is set on the RP. If so, disregard all the good advice in this thread and go with your emotional choice. You could do a lot worse than RP.

I try and look at these things objectively. The only reason why I sound biased is because of my experience with RP. I dont have any experiences with PP yet.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Last i checked the jug of RP at walmart was over $40 and the PP was $25. The API SN RP doesn't contain any synerlec and i would be surprised if it contained any PAO/Esters either.

PP is already overkill for this application, use the money you save and buy a Fram Ultra. If you can throw money around like it's nobody's business, go for the Amsoil Signature series.

My local Walmart has RP for $38.99 and PP for $28.99. The one quart bottles are about equal. $7.99 RP and $7.49 PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back