Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
SuperTech full synthetic

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: timeau
I will be changing the oil in my wife's 2012 Escape 3.0 soon. .... if PP is the same as or better than the RP I'll save the $12 and go with PP.

Save more. Your Escape does not ask for synthetic. Use PYB, cheaper and at least not worse. Just curious, why do you use synthetic? What benefits are you expecting?

Factory spec is 5-20 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. The day I put Royal Purple in it (its 4th oil change) it gained a considerable amount of fuel economy ( about 3 mpg +/-). Thats not the OLM, thats me calculating it at fill ups. We bought this car brand new, and it will replace my truck when the time comes. I plan on using the best oil I can, even if I dont run crazy extended oil change intervals in it.

You're not the first one to to report a mileage increase changing to RP. I am also one of them. PP is a Grp III synthetic and RP is a Group IV+V synthetic. This is why you pay extra money for it. Sometimes when they say that you get what you pay for is true. If you want the best oil then IMO Grp IV oils are better because they burn cleaner and have better oxidative stability.
But honestly you could use either oils and your engine will outlast the rest of the car.

Thats good to hear. I watched the video of the phalax test with Royal Purple and I was sold. That was actually the first, and only, synthetic oil I have ever used so far. Before that it was always dino or synthetic blends. I still will be trying out Pennzoil Platinum though. Everything SOPUS makes is top notch in my book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
PP is a Grp III synthetic and RP is a Group IV+V synthetic. This is why you pay extra money for it...
But honestly you could use either oils and your engine will outlast the rest of the car.

+1

Last edited:
BITOG is sure an interesting place. When it comes to oil, they say go with whatever is cheaper of the two. When it comes to oil filters, spend the $$$$ for "cheap insurance".

To the OP, you could go with either RP or PP and your Escape won't notice the difference, however, if your heart is set on RP, keep an eye out for the occasional deal and build a 1 or 2 OCI stash.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
BITOG is sure an interesting place. When it comes to oil, they say go with whatever is cheaper of the two. When it comes to oil filters, spend the $$$$ for "cheap insurance".

To the OP, you could go with either RP or PP and your Escape won't notice the difference, however, if your heart is set on RP, keep an eye out for the occasional deal and build a 1 or 2 OCI stash.

Exactly. If topic strarter already made a decision, what can we do?
BTW, I definitely like this:
PP is a Grp III synthetic and RP is a Group IV+V synthetic. This is why you pay extra money for it. ... If you want the best oil then IMO Grp IV oils are better because they burn cleaner and have better oxidative stability.

For me this sounds like "Beef grows on a ground and oysters in the sea. This is why you pay extra money for it. If you want the best product then IMO oysters are better because they are cleaner and have hard shell."
No offence, please, I did not intend to offend anybody. But this is so naive... Same as +3 mpg for RP. If this would be true, all manufatures would use it without any additional efforts. Just marketing...

Customer support -- RP
looks like they use group 3 as well ..

On Friday, August 1, 2014 2:19 PM, Cody Bartkowiak wrote:

Good Afternoon Andy,

Royal Purple synthetic oils use a proprietary blend of synthetic base stocks, including Groups IV and V. The only non-synthetic consumer engine oil we offer is Royal Purple Break-In Oil.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple, and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Cody Bartkowiak

Automotive, Technical Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p 281 354 8600 f 281 354 7600

e [email protected]

One Royal Purple Lane Porter, TX 77365

Since changing the oil in my Crown Vic 4.6 with Royal Purple I have noticed a slight increase in mileage & an incredibly quiet smooth running engine.

Same as +3 mpg for RP. If this would be true, all manufatures would use it without any additional efforts. Just marketing...

You really cant believe that a brand new vehicle gained MPG when switiching from a semi-synthetic (Motorcraft) oil to a full synthetic oil? Come on now, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Same as +3 mpg for RP. If this would be true, all manufatures would use it without any additional efforts. Just marketing...

You really cant believe that a brand new vehicle gained MPG when switiching from a semi-synthetic (Motorcraft) oil to a full synthetic oil? Come on now, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

No, otherwise OEM's would just specific synthetic oil and make off like bandits with their CAFE credits. But they don't, so it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, otherwise OEM's would just specific synthetic oil and make off like bandits with their CAFE credits. But they don't, so it doesn't.

You beat me to it... If this were substantiated by any manufacturer, it would be a winfall of fantastic proportions and give them 777 CAFE kudos.

Your right. It is that either I am the first person that has ever seen an increase in fuel economy by switching to a full synthetic oil, Im lying; or, we all got together, had a meeting, and decided to help out big oil company _______ by spreading these rumors. Get a grip. Accept that switching to any full synthetic oil can increase fuel economy.
33.gif

Last edited:

Your right. It is that either I am the first person that has ever seen an increase in fuel economy by switching to a full synthetic oil, Im lying; or, we all got together, had a meeting, and decided to help out big oil company _______ by spreading these rumors. Get a grip. Accept that switching to any full synthetic oil can increase fuel economy.
33.gif

See, that's the thing, I've done just that and never observed a difference. I've gone from 5w-20 to 5w-40 and THAT didn't make a difference in my one vehicle.

3Mpg gain in fuel economy from going to conventional to synthetic is Unicorn territory. Manufacturers go from spec'ing 5w-30 conventional to a 0w-20 synthetic and only gain a fraction of a MPG and even that is significant to their CAFE situation. That's why 0w-16 is coming about...

If they could have avoided the hassle of coming up with an entire new oil grade, engineering wider bearings to accommodate it and all of the other engineering that needs to be done and instead just run synthetic, they would have. But then the 0w-16 and the 0w-20 are already synthetic
wink.gif

Im not going to argue this point any longer. There is a plethora of research out there that proves that many, many people have increased their MPG when switching from dino to full synthetic oils. Perhaps you should do some research. Just because it didn't happen for you does not make it impossible.

Im not going to argue this point any longer. There is a plethora of research out there that proves that many, many people have increased their MPG when switching from dino to full synthetic oils. Perhaps you should do some research. Just because it didn't happen for you does not make it impossible.

See, that "research" is very subjective and claimed by people with an agenda usually. That agenda of course being that they are observing some sort of measurable benefit from the change. Going from 5w-30 conventional to 5w-30 synthetic isn't going to net anybody a 3Mpg gain. If it did, as I said, the OEM's would be all over it, as it is WAY cheaper than re-engineering an engine to run a grade thinner, which is the current approach.

That's not to say somebody won't pick up a fraction of a MPG or something, that's believable. A high VI synthetic, on a car that is short tripped I'm sure will have some form of small measurable increase in fuel economy. But 3Mpg is not a small increase and is the number I am contesting here.

If Royal Purple could claim that they net the average conventional user a 3Mpg gain in fuel economy with a switch to one of their synthetic offerings in the same grade you'd bet they'd be all over that too
wink.gif
Any oil maker would be. Instead, the claims are vague, like with Mobil one's "AFE" lineup, because the gains primarily occur during warm-up and really aren't that much.

See, that "research" is very subjective and claimed by people with an agenda usually. That agenda of course being that they are observing some sort of measurable benefit from the change. Going from 5w-30 conventional to 5w-30 synthetic isn't going to net anybody a 3Mpg gain. If it did, as I said, the OEM's would be all over it, as it is WAY cheaper than re-engineering an engine to run a grade thinner, which is the current approach.

That's not to say somebody won't pick up a fraction of a MPG or something, that's believable. A high VI synthetic, on a car that is short tripped I'm sure will have some form of small measurable increase in fuel economy. But 3Mpg is not a small increase and is the number I am contesting here.

If Royal Purple could claim that they net the average conventional user a 3Mpg gain in fuel economy with a switch to one of their synthetic offerings in the same grade you'd bet they'd be all over that too
wink.gif
Any oil maker would be. Instead, the claims are vague, like with Mobil one's "AFE" lineup, because the gains primarily occur during warm-up and really aren't that much.

This thread has nothing to do with oil weights. Why you keep bringing this up, I have no idea.

You cant believe that I gained considerable MPG on the highway when I switched to a high grade, full synthetic oil.

I cant believe you are on BITOG saying that Synthetic oils wont/dont/cant increase your gas mileage as compared to conventional oils.

I will let the rest of the members here decide which statement has more merit.

From M1's website, concerning their AFE:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx

Fuel Savings Worksheet

Cumulative Miles 50,000 100,000 150,000
Estimated Savings* $147.....$294.....$441

*Based on 20 MPG, $3/gal gasoline and a potential 2% fuel economy improvement (based on a comparison versus those grades most commonly used). Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current motor oil viscosity.

This thread has nothing to do with oil weights. Why you keep bringing this up, I have no idea.

Because the weight of the oil has a far greater effect on fuel economy than whether the oil is synthetic or conventional. Why you fail to get that, I have no idea
wink.gif
This is why OEM's are chasing lower visc oils and not just spec'ing the same grade in synthetic.

Quote:
You cant believe that I gained considerable MPG on the highway when I switched to a high grade, full synthetic oil.

No. I can believe you possibly picked up something like 2% (as per the Mobil claims wemay posted) but not 3Mpg. Unless of course your vehicle already got 150Mpg
smirk.gif

Quote:
I cant believe you are on BITOG saying that Synthetic oils wont/dont/cant increase your gas mileage as compared to conventional oils.

I clearly stated that they won't give you 3Mpg and also stated that the gains from synthetic, which are real, but not huge, primarily come from when the vehicle is warming up where the higher VI synthetic oil will have a lower viscosity than the conventional oil.

Quote:
I will let the rest of the members here decide which statement has more merit.

You think this is the first time we've had this type of discussion? I can't believe YOU are on BITOG and thought it was
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back