Royal purple or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Personally I have seen no reason to use Royal Purple over Mobil1. Patman is using it now and he may be able to advise you. We just have seen enough oil analysis. Why not do an oil analysis and then compare it to the Mobil1. That's really the only way to tell. Also consider the 10W-30 vs the 5W-30 in the Mobil1.

There are a couple of technical reasons I like Royal Purple over Mobil 1. Number one, it's got more moly (my RP VOA showed 112ppm), and also it's a bit thicker too (11.4 cst at 100c for 5w30)

I also have a hunch that the base oil in Royal Purple is now better, and uses more esters, but it's just a hunch, with nothing to back myself up other than the fact that it's SL formula shows much better technical data than the SJ formula did.

The problem with my comparison test though is that in my wife's car I'll be comparing SL formula RP to SJ trisynthetic Mobil 1, so it's not a totally fair comparison between the two latest versions of each.

The fact that I noticed a difference in the running or the start up in the cold weather might be due to the fact that I think Mobil 1 is a bit thinner to stat with than the Royal Purple not to sure.Do you think that I will get the same protection from the RP as with the Mobil SS ? Thanks for the input.

Between these two brands, I’d opt for Mobil 1 (current SuperSyn formula) for many of the same reasons Al stated, it’s more of a known quantity. There are a lot of us here who are anxiously awaiting Patman’s analysis from his wife’s car … but even that will only be one analysis and not too much can be gleaned from a sample of one.
dunno.gif

One thing plexx, is that we all want to read a lot into how the engine feels/sounds but it’s awfully unscientific. Audible engine noise under the hood can be caused by a lot of things and they are not necessarily an indicator that wear/damage is taking place. Look at the used oil test results posted a few days ago by a guy running Chevron Supreme. He complained that the engine was very noisy by the end of the drain interval even though analysis showed his wear to be very low overall.
smile.gif

We’re all susceptible to this “perception thing” but we should try to tune it out as much as possible.

But, if it really bothers you, keep this (current) interval modest (3,000 or so miles) and switch back to Mobil 1.

--- Bror Jace

I know this sounds silly but when I have driven my wife's car lately it does feel more powerful to me than it did when it was running Mobil 1. I've always scoffed at people on the net who claim their engine runs smoother and has more power since the switch to Royal Purple, but I noticed it here, and wasn't expecting it at all.

Although at the same time, her average MPG has not gone up, if anything it's gone down It's hard to tell for sure since this winter has been so brutally cold, so when the weather warms up I can better compare her April average MPG to her October average (since both months are typically very similar temperature wise)

Power goes up ... but not fuel economy? Then I can't imagine it's reduced drag due to the oil. Those two should go up and down (roughly) together.

Maybe it's getting an exhaust leak and merely sounds meaner?
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hehe, her exhaust is so quiet, with the tailpipe the size of a McDonald's straw!
smile.gif

Her MPG has been going down steadily since last year anyways, so it's possible the power went up with RP, but MPG is still going downwards due to other problems.
dunno.gif

One of these days I am planning on taking her car on a little highway trip to see if the gas mileage sucks then too. If it does, then it's time to bring it to the Honda dealer.

My Civic's exhaust rotted out at 80,000 miles and 4 1/2 years ... so I got a DC Sports stainless steel cat-back with a coffee can exhaust tip.
grin.gif

Hmmm ... bring wifey's car to the dealer after checking the brakes ... corrosion causing any sticking?

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that you would have alteady thought of.

--- Bror Jace

Nope, definitely not brakes, she had them all done in the fall, and even went back in for a recheck when she had some grinding.

One thing that has been bothering me is that almost every UOA on RP involves the LS1 motor which never seems to give a good report. I think myself and everyone else would feel more comfortable using RP if there were more positive UOA's involving Rp on this site. Since Rp is API certified I guess it can't do any harm and the warranty will still be enforced.I plan on doing analysis at 3000 mile intervals.Today I filled up the tank and so far it seems the millage has gone up about 1.5 mpg. who knows, maybe I just had the wind behind me.
rolleyes.gif

The way I see it anymore, unless an oil is very superior in every way shape and form, it's not worth buying. That being said, RP, Redline and Amsoil are not light years ahead of M1, if at all ahead. So I would stick with M1 for the convienience, performance and availability.
smile.gif
You will even find analysis that shows M1 beating out these other top brands at times.

[ February 12, 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster; I agree with you, M1 is a great oil, no arguement there.I just wonder, if you don't drive a ultra- high performance car, is using synthetic really worth it? I have a neighbor of mine who has an old chevy blazer with 260,000k on it using only Castrol GTX, he doesn't belive in synthetics. In my Toyota, which I will most likley get rid of before 200k, do you think I will notice a difference if I switch back to a good dino? Also I only drive this truck about 5,000 miles a year.

I really don't think you need it. If you change the oil every 3k or even 5k, I would just stick with dino, especially if you are not going to keep it past 200k. I'm using a synthetic mainly bc I need to get 200k + out of my car due to my driving conditions. I like the extreme temperature protection of synthetic and it's abilities to keep an engine clean. In your case, switching back would be no problem at all. Dino oils are better now then they have ever been. You will get just as many trouble free miles using dino if you change it every 3-5K
smile.gif

[ February 12, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Plexx, there are regulars here who consistently denigrate Royal Purple for many reasons, most of them irrational. They think the color and name are gimmicky, so that puts them off and they project that onto the performance of the oil itself. It's not such a known-quantity as the bigger names, yet some who would recommend that you use something different are themselves using oils that are just as much niche players as is Royal Purple. It's not widely available, so that's a strike against it, too.

Consider this: it's a well-built oil. Its components--viscosity, esters, and moly--may very well outperform Mobil1 under conditions of heat and stress. It comes very highly recommended by Mr. Dyson, a regular here, who knows his oils and who is a generally-impartial judge and advocate for quality. Also, you've put this oil in to your vehicle in the dead of a tough winter when vehicle performance is challenged from all sides.

I wouldn't be so quick to change course. I agree that the sounds and feel of one's special vehicle are subjective and immeasurable. Maybe yours does "prefer" Mobil1. I'd just let it ride for a while and see how you feel once it warms up and you get a few tankfulls under your belt. You've got 5, 7, or 9 thousand miles yet, at least, to make up your mind.

This is a Toyota 3.4 v6 with about 25k.At first I was running Mobil 1 5w30 SS then I decided to swicth to Royal purple 5w30.I know this sounds weird but the motor seemed to run smoother with the Mobil 1.Should I switch back the the more proven oil "Mobil ss" or give the RP some time in the engine.The RP has been in only for a few hundred miles , but I can,t help feeling like the truck ran ALOT smoother, and the cold start up was better with the Mobil SS. Any ideas.

Does anyone have any proof that Royal Purple is an ester based synth? Any PDF/MSDS/Email stating anything????? What is Synerlec additive????

I used it and I could tell a difference during cold/hot starts. Mobil1 was quieter cold. Not that it drops to -10 every night. But when it did, the engine with RP sounded just like any other dino oil. During the summer, RP and even Castrol was quieter than the Mobil1. Wierd!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=196187&_requestid=4479

http://www.selectlubricants.com/manufacturer.asp

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
My Civic's exhaust rotted out at 80,000 miles and 4 1/2 years ... so I got a DC Sports stainless steel cat-back with a coffee can exhaust tip.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

No, please say you are not a "ricer"

YZF150: “there are regulars here who consistently denigrate Royal Purple for many reasons, most of them irrational. They think the color and name are gimmicky, so that puts them off and they project that onto the performance of the oil itself.”

Gee, sounds like you are talking about me specifically … and I’d hardly call my (mostly past) criticism of RP “irrational.” But putting past discussions aside, If you go to the beginning of this thread and re-read my posts (carefully this time), you’ll see that I was actually quite positive and I told plexx not to be in too much of a hurry to switch brands. I guess you skimmed over that part.
rolleyes.gif

“it's a well-built oil. Its components--viscosity, esters, and moly--may very well outperform Mobil1 under conditions of heat and stress.”

You sound awfully confident of the oil’s quality … while even the most knowledgeable among us here (not just unDummy) admit that the oil’s composition is still a mystery for the most part. $25 virgin and/or used oil analysis will show some, but not all of an oil’s components and that is not (alone) an indicator of quality or a reliable predictor of performance. One of the best OTC dinos available (shows consistently good results in a number of vehicles), Chevron Supreme, looks completely unremarkable when a virgin sample is analyzed.

And Terry says positive things about MOST of the oils he encounters in North America … which makes sense as most of them are at least decent. You have to go out of your way to find a bad one … and the type of person who runs an indifferent quality oil for 12,000 or more miles before having it changed practically never has a sample analyzed by a lab.

Actually, I’d love to see someone find an abused car which has gone something like 20,000 or more miles on a cheap oil and have it analyzed … just for laughs. Actually, I think someone posted something like this in the UAO section a while ago … I just don’t remember the specifics.

Spector, I’m too old to be a ricer, but I do have a couple of the attributes … just not enough for actual membership of that club.
wink.gif
I have the oversized exhaust, the cone intake, bright yellow ignition wires, strut brace, a few stickers … but only 14” aftermarket alloy wheels which no self-respecting ricer would dare have on his ride.
shocked.gif
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

YZF150: Gee, sounds like you are talking about me specifically … and I’d hardly call my (mostly past) criticism of RP “irrational.”

Wow-I was about to respond because I thought he was talking about me
shocked.gif
. But actually I think that any of us that have been posting here for some time do not criticize an oil or product based on what we like or what we use. I was pointing out-and so was Bror that we just have not seen enough information to judge if RP is any better than a well proven product such as Mobil 1 (and btw that would hold true for Amsoil. I don't use Amsoil but I will be the first to admit that Amsoil for the most part puts up better analysis numbers than Mobil 1)
cheers.gif

[ February 13, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Spector, I’m too old to be a ricer, but I do have a couple of the attributes … just not enough for actual membership of that club.
wink.gif
I have the oversized exhaust, the cone intake, bright yellow ignition wires, strut brace, a few stickers … but only 14” aftermarket alloy wheels which no self-respecting ricer would dare have on his ride.
shocked.gif
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Stickers and a coffee can exhaust tip? NOOOOOOOO!!!! Say it isn't so!!!! By the way, how much horsepower did your stickers add? Does one of the stickers say "VTEC RULEZ!"? What's next? A carbon fiber wing?

King Iso

[ February 13, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: 2533a ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back