Royal Purple Oil filter with Dino oil ??

The very purpose of paying a premium price for a filter like RP is to be able to use it for long range. If i can not use it for at least as much as Mobil extended filter, then i would not be considering it. M1 filter is rated for 15k miles. Between my cars, i have over 100 k now (reusing either RP or M1 filters), with no damages so far.

Save the rhetoric for yourself. Thought it was a very simple question … never mind.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Oh, I'm not going to remove a $15 filter, deal with the mess, and risk damage or leaks … defeats the purpose of buying a long range filter for me … Carry on …

I agree 4wd... Just leave that badboy on... In my car 85-92 percent of the oil comes out with leaving the filter on. Not worried about what is left in there. Like some of other guys say on here... Oil being better is way more important at the end of the day.

^^^ Compare the set in the rubber base gasket on a used vs new filter and that will show why removing and reinstalling a used filter isn't ideal.

I don't think he removes it … but certainly have been threads on the subject.
For me it means changing 7/8 oil mid way … but it's synthetic anyway …

Exactly 4wd...

I ain't removing that filter.

I agree with Zee that it is not best practice to remove and put a filter back on...

Pardon me 4wd. I didn't mean to offend you. I think there was some disconnect in the communication because i didn't quite understand what you were saying before.

What if the filter was taken out, the rubber gasket area cleaned thoroughly (perhaps using a cotton bud ?), new oil rubbed on the gasket to give it some life, and then filter put back on again ? Would that help ? Or is it better simply to leave the filter on during oil change ? In that case i would guess that about 1/2 of quart or less (of the old oil) would remain. Isn't better to empty out the filter oil too to create a clean start again ?

If anyone can point me to a thread where some scientific study was conducted on this subject, i can read up. Thanks.

Originally Posted by seekingbuddha
What if the filter was taken out, the rubber gasket area cleaned thoroughly (perhaps using a cotton bud ?), new oil rubbed on the gasket to give it some life, and then filter put back on again ? Would that help ? Or is it better simply to leave the filter on during oil change ?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ple-oil-filter-with-dino-oil#Post5160957

There is hardly any "give" left in the rubber base gasket that's been crushed and has taken a permanent set. If you're going to use a filter more than once, just leave it on the engine. The small amount of used oil in the filter isn't going to matter.

No worries … like to leave them on based on miles even if not maxed out … 1,2,3, OCI … leave it and choose OCI.
But, I was trying to point out that two shorter runs - even though I leave a quart out of 8 behind... is not the same as a quart out of 4 quarts on a smaller engine. I'm running 0w20 in DI V8's so cannot get my head around long runs with thin oil getting diluted thinner. 7/8 changed on M1 is no big deal …
Plan to pull my RP with +/- 12k from two runs. They are awesome filters … but a bit over priced …
Will cut it open and post at some point before decision to buy another … my filter stash bred like rabbits already …

Good grief, I been taking off and reinstalling filters for years now. Never damaged one nor had it leak. I don't know why people freak out about the idea.
It's not necessary to torque the filter on so tight the gasket looses all pliaibility. Can't think of another semi reasonable concern.
To the op, Just tighten the filter hand tight and be sure to oil the gasket first and no worries.

Good grief … you removed and then reinstall … ? make better use of your time …

No vehicle manufacturer that shows using an oil filter for two oil changes in the service manual ever says to remove, drain and reinstall the filter.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Oh yeah because I might not have time to talk about it on a forum like this if I take an extra 5 minutes to drain the filter. Lol ok I see so clearly now.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
No vehicle manufacturer that shows using an oil filter for two oil changes in the service manual ever says to remove, drain and reinstall the filter.

No service manual ever said not to.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by 4WD

Oh yeah because I might not have time to talk about it on a forum like this if I take an extra 5 minutes to drain the filter. Lol ok I see so clearly now.
lol.gif

HaHa … but I'm not the one doing something foolish …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD

lol.gif

HaHa … but I'm not the one doing something foolish …

Are you sure?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

No service manual ever said not to.

If vehicle manufacturers thought it was a good idea to remove and reinstall the oil filter, they'd say so in the manual. People can do what ever they want, but no official source ever recommends it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I learnt something new (about leaving the filter on, during oil change). Also came to know that there is some used oil left behind in the engine, and the oil in the filter is less compared to what is left present in engine. So, not all old oil gets out when an oil change is done.

Amazon description says RP filter is rated for 15k miles (when used with a synthetic oil). I have to do a UOA at 8k miles and 16k miles, to estimate the value of this filter and oil combination. If i remember, will report back here again after a year.

Back