Royal Purple Oil filter with Dino oil ??

Hello everyone,

Nice to be back on bitog.com (which is a different website now). On my 2008 Honda civic, at 140 K miles, i put in a Royal purple oil filter, with Chevron brand Dino oil. Under the assumption that i can run this filter for extended miles, i did one oil change (using the same Chevron 5-30 traditional Dino oil bought in local Costco). So, the oil was changed at 146 K miles, but i reused the same filter. Now, the car is at 149 K miles, and it is time for the next oil change. Since the car is starting to show some oil leak (which has been there in slow development for last 30k miles), my next oil would be synthetic.........I have 3 questions :

• Can i switch to a high quality (like Mobile) full synthetic, using this same filter for another 5K miles ?
  • Is it time to switch to a High Milage Synthetic oil (OR), can i wait few more years before switching into HIGH MILAGE synthetic ?
  • I have 1 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 Full synthetic sitting in my garage for past 2 years. Can i mix this with Volvoline High Mileage Synthetic oil (3 quarts of it) during next oil change ?

I am a big fan of RP filters, but not a big fan of your strategy. If you are being that cheap (this I understand living in bay area too), move over to fram ultra and change the filter every time would be my strategy at that point There are no compatibility issues with modern oils that I've heard of, so you can do whatever mixing you want, not that I recommend that, but it wont cause compatibility issues. Do you know where the leak is coming from? If you haven't changed the pcv within the last 50k miles, do so.

You have a costco card? The 5w30 m1 case for 27.99 is still one of the best on going oil deals anywhere. on sale every other week.

Last edited:
Hey folks from the bay area!

Anyway, looks like you are still doing 3000 mile oil changes? Why not go 5K on the Chevron Supreme and then 10K on the RP filter?

1) You can switch to synthetic and use this filter a third time, but I would not advise it. Even if you've kept up on maintenance and your engine is very clean, you will reach 15k on the filter before you get any real benefit of the synthetic oil. So it looks like you would not save any money regardless. Don't do it. If you are determined to use this filter again, use conventional and change your oil and filter at 155k miles (assuming the RP filter has a 15k rating).
2) I think it's a bad idea to switch to synthetic as your oil leak is getting worse. But also, switching to high mileage oil *may* slow the leak, if the leak problem is from an engine seal.
3) You can mix any type or grade of oil from any oil company, so long as they are the same API classification (for example, SN). Mix Supertech conventional 10w30 with Amsoil 0w20 and you will not have any problems. In this example, a great oil will be diluted with an adequate oil, but still you will be fine.

Thanks for all the replies, especially the detailed reply from DGXR.

Called Royal Purple technical support, and he advised me not to reuse this filter (even though he did not say that "IT CAN NOT be done"). His stand was similar to DGXR. The oil is not dripping from bottom, but i did notice oil cluster at bottom of oil pan area during last tire (last week). So, i need to track down the source of the leak, and meanwhile i will take all the suggestions here and switch to High milage synthetic oil (perhaps after another 1000 miles). I don't understand why DGXR says "it is bad idea to switch to synthetic during a oil leak". Please explain.....

Royal purple rep also suggested using their HPS oil which is better than their High milage. But that was selling more than 2x than Mobile 1 HM or other competitors. Not sure of the reason for their pricing. Is that as good as that pricing ??

No, i am not cheap, even though i live in bay area :)
Otherwise, i would not be running a RP filter and Mobile Synthetic oil on my civic for 100K (except for the last 9 K of Chevron Supreme). Many here have reported good UOA with Chevy Supreme at 7K miles, but i ran it for an average of 4.5K (2 times).

By the way, today i noticed that the oil level shown on the dash board is 60% which means that the car thinks that i have atleast 2000 miles left on the current oil. Also, here is a picture from local costco..... (same $29 price for 5-30 and 0-20) with Chevron Supreme 10-40 listed at 2.75/qt (not on sale). Thanks for the heads up on this deal, but i also note that i can get Valvoline 5w-20 High mileage for pretty much the same price from Amazon (OR Mobil 1 High mileage for $1/quart more). Hence, currently i am leaning towards Valvoline which has good reviews on this site (as good as Mobile 1 HM, and i can not tell the technical difference apart). Royal purple is out, due to price.

20190117_122800.jpg

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you ever go to West Berkley go to the .99 only store and pick up Kendall GT-1 synthetic for 2.99 a quart.

Good oil!!! Fantastic price!!!

Originally Posted by seekingbuddha
By the way, today i noticed that the oil level shown on the dash board is 60% which means that the car thinks that i have atleast 2000 miles left on the current oil.

I stuck to DGXR suggestion (sort of because i did not do the oil change as i was mentioned in the first post). After review of some threads here, i saw that chevron supreme can easily run to 7k miles. So, i stalled the oil change until my OLM (oil level monitor) on my civic told me to do the oil change. So, the RP filter ran from 140k to 153k miles without any problems. (BTW, even if the filter broke down inside its metal compartment, how can anyone tell the filter problem at oil change ? ) At oil change, the only thing i can see is that there were no external problems on the filter, and the oil looked like normal used oil coming out with 7k miles on it.

The effectiveness of the RP filter was also proved by Blackstone labs test. I ran a UOA 149k miles, before reusing the filter. My Insolubles were at 0.2% and Blackstone told me that the filter is not broken as long as it remains their 0.6% limit on the insolubles. The test paid for itself, because they were able to confirm that Chevron supreme can be run until my OLM indicates the need for a change. So, the last run was from about 146 to 153 k miles ( 7k miles) giving the RP filter a run of 13k miles. I do not remember exactly, if memory serves right i remember the following from my my research into oil filters few years ago ....
  • Mobile 1 Extended mileage filter has recommended 15k but RP filter has a reco of 12k miles (from manufacturers).
  • RP filter was my choice because it had better filtration (lower micron) capability over Mobil 1.
  • I have typically run my RP filters few times, for 12 to 15k miles in the past.

I have switched to Valvoline Synthetic High mileage oil at 153k miles, along with a new RP filter. Perhaps i should have switched to this oil around 100k (hindsight is 20 / 20), which would have fixed my oil leak issues before they started. Did a steam clean of engine area, before i put in the new oil and a dye. (Dang, engine wash costs $250 in bay area now, and i had to drive all the way to San jose to find a shop who will do it - wonder if they conform to CA regulations on engine cleaning). After 500 miles, i noticed traces of oil stuck to the bottom oil pain, but originating from somewhere above in the engine. I wonder where i have to take the car to get an exact location of leak - the local shop i took it to did check for free and brushed it aside saying it is too minor to worry about and fix.

Found the following articles on internet today, which i happened across during some study about oils. Thought they were well written, and wanted to bring it into BTOG.

About OLM on civic
We can trust OLM
Detailed article on oil types, their properties and what to use

Good articles for newbies to read.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about switching to synthetic. The car dosent require it and it's went this long without it. You could just use any high mileage oil.
I'd leave that Royal purple filter on for at least 20k miles if you have a clean engine.

If your doing 5k mile oil changes then that's four oil changes to 1 filter.

The guy who is talking about oil properties in detail seems knowledgeable. That article mentioned last in my post above is worth reading. Check it out and see what you think about filter changes. I have talked to the customer support of RP filter, and they are did not even say an ok to reuse the filter after my first 6k of usage (with dyno oil). But my blackstone labs test does indicate that the filter would easily go over the 12k miles that RP recommends for that filter. I have indeed used it upto 15k (but with mobil 1 extended oil).

My civic seems to easily do 5k + before the OLM indicates an oil change, even with dyno oil (like seen in previous post). So, perhaps i will take up your suggestion of trying a 20k run on this filter, but with synthetic oils only. If you can give me some references to discussions where people have run this filter to 20k i would feel more comfortable with this project. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by seekingbuddha
The guy who is talking about oil properties in detail seems knowledgeable. That article mentioned last in my post above is worth reading. Check it out and see what you think about filter changes. I have talked to the customer support of RP filter, and they are did not even say an ok to reuse the filter after my first 6k of usage (with dyno oil). But my blackstone labs test does indicate that the filter would easily go over the 12k miles that RP recommends for that filter. I have indeed used it upto 15k (but with mobil 1 extended oil).

My civic seems to easily do 5k + before the OLM indicates an oil change, even with dyno oil (like seen in previous post). So, perhaps i will take up your suggestion of trying a 20k run on this filter, but with synthetic oils only. If you can give me some references to discussions where people have run this filter to 20k i would feel more comfortable with this project. Thanks.

There are guys that have gone 20k plus miles on regular non premium filters and all was fine.
I think 1 guy recent went 20k on a tg and another went like 28k or something with a mc.
I've used the m1 out to 20k and the fram ultra also. The media in the ultra and the Royal purple are very similar too. Royal purple is just better made in every other way. So I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a royal purple for 20k in a clean engine

Do you know the difference in how much oil stays behind when the filter is not changed. I have two 8 quart engines that trap a quart and will do that once. (one of them has an RP 20-500 on round 2)
I have two just over 4 quarts and don't reuse filters on them …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Do you know the difference in how much oil stays behind when the filter is not changed. I have two 8 quart engines that trap a quart and will do that once. (one of them has an RP 20-500 on round 2)
I have two just over 4 quarts and don't reuse filters on them …

I do not understand. When my oil is changed, the filter is taken out, all the oil in filter is drained by inverting it,and all oil in engine comes out too. So, in the case of Honda civic, any old oil that can be trapped is the residual that is left stuck to the filter unit (after inverting and pouring out). Honda civic takes about 4 quarts of oil. So, my guess is that the old oil that is left behind will be less than 0.1 quart (if at all that much) in the filter unit - this is my assumption. Is this correct ?

@Pinoak - thank you. I have decided to take my RP to 20k miles this time, thanks to you. Perhaps will do oil change around 10 k this time, since i have premium oil in it now.

Oh, I'm not going to remove a $15 filter, deal with the mess, and risk damage or leaks … defeats the purpose of buying a long range filter for me … Carry on …

Back