Royal Purple oil filter 2006 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
For quite some time I have been experimenting with different filters on my 4.0 tacoma. As many of your are aware this engine can be very noisy with the wrong filter. Up until yesterday I was running a non recommended filter from Amsoil (Eao34) which is larger than factory. Don't do it. Rattled like a mother. The Mobil 1 made it better. After adding the RP all of the noise went away completely!
banana2.gif

I also noticed that with the Eao34 it was always empty when removed. Leaky DB valve no doubt. I like the Eao57, but not the 034. My truck seemed to shift strange, made terrible noise( no it was not in my head). These RP filters are impressive. Now maybe it's time for a few particle counts!
LOL.gif
IF I can find an extra $75

Last edited:
Who makes the Royal Purple filter?

I've always used the Toyota filters on my '05 Tacoma (4.0L V6) with Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. Never any engine noises at start up, even if it sits for a week. Filter is always full when I change the filter too, so seems the ADBV on the Toyota filter works well.

The one filter I wanted to try which is similar to the RP is the TRD filter. Its expensive but has the micro-glass media. I would have to special order it. Sorry, if its that hard to get for just an oil filter I'm not too interested.

For a conventional media filter the toyota units seem to be pretty good. Use to run them in the camry.

I had an 05 Tacoma w/ 4.0L and you are not kidding it was very picky about the oil filter. At the time( 2005-06 )the Mobil 1 filter was the only option I found that stopped the problem. I will file away that the RP filter helped with it.
thumbsup2.gif

Is the 4.0 the one with the upside-down (threaded end down) filter at the top of the engine?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Is the 4.0 the one with the upside-down (threaded end down) filter at the top of the engine?

Yes ... almost perfectly vertical (maybe 10 degree from vertical).

I usually punch a hole in the top during the oil change so it drains completely. Helps keep the oil mess under control.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I usually punch a hole in the top during the oil change so it drains completely. Helps keep the oil mess under control.
grin2.gif

Good idea.
Do you use the filter-mount drain nipple?
Mine has the low mount verticle filter with the threads pointing up, but still has the same mount casting with the splash shield and drain. They just inverted it.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
We have an 06 Sequoia I have always used the toyota filter. I just switched to a WIX its quiet so far no problems.

You should check out the TRD filters, the build-quality on them is phenomenal.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

TRD filters are nothing special...all your paying for is the name. Im sure TRD doesnt make them. My 3.4L ive been running oversized Mobil One filters. Nextime ill be running K&N since i picked up AZ's Castrol Syntec and K&N filter special.

Im not sure if the 4.0L and 3.4L use the same filter...if it does get a filter for a 95 Ford Tuarus 3.0L, its oversized.

grin2.gif

Good idea.
Do you use the filter-mount drain nipple?

Don't have to due to punching a hole in the top of the filter and letting it drain awhile. When I remove the filter, there is only a few drops that come out, and I usually stuff a paper towel down in the drain cup so it keeps it clean.

I did the same hole punch trick on the RX-7s I owned. They also had a vertical mounted filter with the base down. If you didn't do this trick it make on heck of an oil mess when changing the filter.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

TRD filters are nothing special...all your paying for is the name. Im sure TRD doesnt make them. My 3.4L ive been running oversized Mobil One filters. Nextime ill be running K&N since i picked up AZ's Castrol Syntec and K&N filter special.

A tear-down on the the TRD filters posted on here recently showed a silicone ADBV and synthetic glass media.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif
... how do you unzip the .RAR files so there are in a usable setup?

I don't remeber exacly. I think I just used winzip or something either built in, or found online.
Lemme see if I can find the original link I got mine from.
I have this manual backed up of a couple flash drives so it's poratble.
It's nice I can print out any pages I want to use in color to do any work or look up torque specs or schematics.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif
... how do you unzip the .RAR files so there are in a usable setup?

Here it is--where I got mine...try this page.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Nice ... that's a better setup with the ZIP file. Thanks!

Nice ... that's a better setup with the ZIP file. Thanks!

Ya. zip is better. Sorry I didn't know the other site had some other type.
The paper copy is like $470 from the dealer, but this has everything that's in the paper copy.
When I go to the index, I just use the old Ctrl+F to find the chapter I'm looking for.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back