Royal Purple OEM 5W30 - K&N Oil Filter - User Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone Else Use these Products?

There seems to be an obsession here with Mobil 1. Obviously as it is an OEM recommended fill
I can understand all the users. Royal Purple as I have run in my Camaro from its first 3,000 miles to know at
60,000 has been excellent.

Every mechanic and racing insider I have spoken with have all pretty much said that Royal Purple is
the best "stuff" out there.

I have clearly noticed with Royal Purple:

Fuel Efficieny gains of 2-3mpg highway, smoother idle and highway cruise. The hp gain of
Royal Purple racing grades is also well known.

As for AMSOIL? My SAE race team at the Univ of Texas use to run it.
To our chegrin we stopped upon realizing that at least the then formulation of AMSOIL contained solids.
Whether or not AMSOIL has now changed upon its recent API certification i do not know.

As far as the K&N vs Mobil 1 vs AC Delco Ultraguard controversy for Best Oil Filter:

It is my understanding that those the three filters are ALMOST the SAME THING minus
brand specific features(end nut, burst strength). You can purchase the K&N at Jegs.com for only 9.99

By the way all 3 Filters are made my Champion Labs!!!!!

Well...If you had spent more time on this board you would have noticed that this board is not tilted to Mobil 1. In fact there are Shaeffer's and Amsoil sponsors here. Your post reads like an advertisement. I think in general we try to avoid such anecdotal evidence and try to base opinions on facts. Do you have some RP oil analysis to post?? Frankly RP oil analysis have been less than superior from what I have seen in posts here.

Welcome to the boards.
welcome.gif

welcome.gif
patriot.gif

Best run your combination, and do analysis' at reg. intervals. We love the data, dude.

As for Amsoil containing solids. Huh? Unless my knowledge is out to lunch, someone was misinformed at best. AJ is about anti-solids as any oillydude out there.

Champion manufactures a lot of filters for a lot of companies. That doesn't mean all Champion filters are the same. They use various media and construction based on what their customers want.

I wouldn't exactly say Royal Purple is the best there is, although the latest SL formulation looks pretty good. I'm testing out their 5w30 in my wife's Honda right now actually. It's too soon to say if her fuel mileage has gone up. She's been getting terrible mileage lately (22 MPG, and it's a Civic!) I think it's cuz we haven't had the valves adjusted yet though, and it's got just under 40k on it.

As far as those oil filters go, they are definitely different! They are made in the same place, this is true, but the Ultraguard Gold uses a fully synthetic media, and filters down to 8 microns. The K&N and Mobil 1 use a blended media, and the Mobil 1 filters down to 10 microns while the K&N is geared more for higher oil flow and filters down to 18.

Do you have any oil analysis results on your car running Royal Purple? Is your Camaro an LT1? I myself drive a 95 Firebird Formula, and would love to see more LT1 oil analysis results to compare mine to. I'm currently running Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10w30 blend. My last two analysis results were with Maxlife 10w30 though.

I'm also a big fan of the K&N oil filter, I've been running that one on my wife's car the last few intervals, and am putting one on my Firebird next oil change (in about 10 days)

[ November 27, 2002, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, I've been meanin' to ask you about the little lady's Civic. Does she do a lot of idling? That'd be my guess as to why her fuel economy is in the dumps.
thumbsdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
. She's been getting terrible mileage lately (22 MPG, and it's a Civic!) I think it's cuz we haven't had the valves adjusted yet though, and it's got just under 40k on it.

Patman, I noticed much better throttle response and a little better fuel mileage after I have the valves adjusted on my Integra. You also get a new valve cover gasket with the adjustment.
burnout.gif
-Joe

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Patman, I've been meanin' to ask you about the little lady's Civic. Does she do a lot of idling? That'd be my guess as to why her fuel economy is in the dumps.
thumbsdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

She does a little bit of idling, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. It was a lot more last year when the baby was first born, as she would warm up the car a little bit before driving, but now she basically starts and goes and doesn't sit around idling very often. I even asked her to cut the idling down so I could see if the mileage went up but it hasn't. When I first bought this car I drove it 95% of the time and used to get 30MPG with it (in busy rush hour highway traffic)

One of these days I'll get around to getting the valve adjustment done.

Patman, My '95 Civic 1.5L 5-speed never had a valve adjustment and this past Spring and summer it got an average of 42mpg ... with 120,000+ miles on the clock.
shocked.gif

A buddy of mine has a '91 hatchback with the same motor and gets over 50mpg on some trips.
shocked.gif

I wonder if it's the gas you are using?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Her car is auto, so it will never get the mileage of a 5 speed no matter what. It's also a loaded up EX (Canada's version, which gets the 106hp engine, not the VTEC). I don't think it's the gas, as she runs 87 octane Esso gas, and I get great gas mileage in my car with Esso. It's Sunoco up here which causes bad gas mileage, since it's got ethanol in it. Esso does not.

i notice no difference in gas mileage when using pioneer's gas. right now in my civic doing pizza delivery (car is started 20-30 times a night and idles probably 20 mins a night) i get 8.17l/100 km on shell. here's a record of my driving over the past 10 days
tongue.gif

-

[ November 30, 2002, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Greg ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back