Royal Purple Max ATF, good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Lack of a licence shows that there is no guarantee of anything.

My experience is limited here, so take what I say for what it's worth.

In another post a lot of quality concerns were discussed about the Honda Z1 ATF. Amsoil makes a great Universal ATF, but it is "Recommended" for use in various applications in the same manner that Royal Purple's Max ATF is. Red Line also makes some well respected ATF variants, such as D4, which is "Recommended" for use in several applications. Same thing goes for Schaeffer's #204SAT, which is also "Recommended" for use in various applications. I couldn't find a single "Top Shelf" Universal ATF that was listed as being certified and/or licensed.

Amsoil states that they would rather not pay the high fees that would be required in order to say that their products are certified. The cost, they say, would simply end up being passed along to those of us who buy their products. I guess that Royal Purple feels the same way, but who knows. I sincerely doubt that Max ATF would fail to meet any of the quality standards required for certification, but then again I don't know a great deal when it comes to ATF.

Based on the above, does this mean that no one should feel comfortable using a Universal ATF from Amsoil, Red Line, Schaeffer's or Royal Purple?

One last observation, I have noticed that lubricant companies change their formulations all the time without notifying their customers. Look at all of the Mobil One Group III discussions on BITOG. True enough that Mobil One still maintains its certification, but my point is that changes take place without notice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Alternator
Then maybe you all would care to tell us why the MaxATF is to be avoided - using of course, factual information as opposed to opinion?

I see some responding with positive personal experience. I'll believe that long before I believe a bunch of opinionated tribologist wannabe's.

Sure, go purchase and read the SAE paper about universal ATFs. I posted a link in this section. Info from the SAE is about unbiased as you can get.

Sorry, not buyin' it - literally OR figuratively.

I don't know what changes you are referring to with respect to Mobil 1 or it's retained credentials. I can tell you that various OEMs conduct 'policing' programs by taking product off the shelf and conducting analysis. Any company found to have an infringement are liable to have their licence removed. Oh, and in case you are wondering it has occurred.

I will also tip my hat toward Whitewolf's credibility as being knowledgeable in this area.

My question is, where are all the non OE spec fluid failures? There simply does not seem to be a rash of failures out there due to universal fluids.
21.gif

Well, we don't know do we? Once the vehicles are out of warranty the problem is that the cause is hard to determine. All I know is that I can run a vehicle well over 100k miles with no oil change and it still looks good to go again. I prefer to back what I know and what has been tested to extreme rather than just claims. I think you know that already. The problem is that there is some information that I can share and some that I can't, I'm sure that most of you understand that.

Quote:
The problem is that there is some information that I can share and some that I can't, I'm sure that most of you understand that.

Absolutely.
cheers3.gif
Thanks for sharing what you can.

I haven't seen you share anything except an opinion stating something to the effect that licensing is a reason not to use RP MaxATF.

You call that sharing?

I haven't seen you share anything except an opinion stating something to the effect that licensing is a reason not to use RP MaxATF.

You call that sharing?

He has shared a lot of info on various ATF fluid. He has said what his "opinion" is.
11.gif

Alternator,
You complained about the lack of data.
The Critic pointed you to the data.
Then that's not good enough either.
As far as I am concerned you can do whatever you like, but I for one will henceforth cease to respond to any of your desparaging comments or posts. If you have any genuine queries, or seek any advice, then I'll be more than happy to respond. I just don't believe that this is the place for poking fingers at anyone. Just so you know, I am a professional in the Transmission Fluid area and many of the people on this board appreciate my contribution. I'm sorry that you feel otherwise.

You call that sharing?

You've been a jerk in this thread and it's made me think you are worse than worthless as a member here. Change your ways man or get out of here.

What's the matter, can't stand the truth?

Still nothing but an "expert" opinion.

Tell us why it's no good. I don't believe I'm the only skeptic on this topic.

Please don't hurt my feelings like that JAG(o__). You really think I care what you think about me personally, based on some argument about oil on a web forum? Get real.

With respect to all who have responded to this thread, I feel that some of the personal attacks are uncalled for. I realize that I am a noobie on the BITOG site, and I respect differing opinions, but I am truly surprised how this thread has taken on a hostile tone.

I really just wanted opinions on RP Max ATF. I think everyone has chimed in and voiced both fact and opinion.

I'm sad that is taken this tone.
All I ever wanted when I joined BITOG was to help to correct some of the gross misconceptions and misinformation that was circulating.

Hey guys, don't let one Turkey spoil the broth.

Every once in awhile these drive-by jerks comes along and pretends to be a hypercynic, but they're only reason for being here is to cause turmoil.

You will notice they never really contribute anything of substance, just doubt.

Lyondellic,
Keep us informed on how your Honda responds to the Royal Purple ATF. I always like hearing people's experience with different ATFs in foreign transmissions that tend to require "special" fluids.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I'm sad that is taken this tone.
All I ever wanted when I joined BITOG was to help to correct some of the gross misconceptions and misinformation that was circulating.

And while you've supplied some respectable information, your constant posts that imply that ONLY licensed fluids should be used in everything are not the answer to everyone's question. So in a sense, you're causing exactly what you came to correct (misconceptions and misinformation).

The original poster was wanting people's experience with Royal Purple ATF, not for someone to make an attempt at persuading against the use of a possible better fluid than OEM fluid.

That's why I suggested Whiteboy keep his well-know opinion to himself.

My ignore list just grew a few names after this. JAG went back to read all my posts and assigned me "ordinbary poster" status. Broke my heart.

***** will be staying with him on my ignore list as well. I'd really appreciate it if you two master oiler boys reciprocate.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back