Royal Purple Max ATF, good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with RP Max ATF? There was a formula change in September 2007, so anything before that may not reflect what is being sold at the present time. The specs look pretty decent, but I know that some here at BITOG do not like RP products.

Well most of the people on this board know my view already.
Is it licenced, is it controlled (if so by who, not just the seller), is there any guarantee that the formulation will not be subject to undisclosed 'modifications'? If the answer to any of these questions is no, or I don't know, then to me the decision as to whether or not to purchase this or any similar product is clear.

It is an excellent ATF. The older formula was dex/merc. The newer is a multivehicle ATF.

A license doesn't guarantee superiority or quality.

So, you're saying GM's license is more important then a boutique companies recommendation or reputation.
If it were so great, why are their constant changes? Can't they finally get a fluid spec right? Will dexron12 be better then dexron6?

The simple answer to that is, yes because companies such as GM, Ford and Chrysler monitor the formulations and quality of the fluids which are marketed using their respective trademarks.

The reason that companies keep updating their specs is quite simple, it's called continuous improvement. As transmission design evolves, so does fluid design. Where would we be if we were still using TASA fluids?

Quote:

Sounds like a good reason not to repeat it - especially if it is not based on any substantive information.

When GM produces vehicles NOT needing a history of recalls and TSBs, I'll have more faith in their licenses.

When GM dumps the formula spec for a 'performance spec', I'll have more faith in their licenses.

Continual improvement? or goals not set too high to begin with?
Another pathetic political license requirement?

I picked up three quarts of the new RP Max ATF formulation yesterday. The label for the new formula reads: "Multi-Spec High Performance Automatic Transmission Fluid". The back of the container has a long list of vehicles that the fluid may be used with. I will try one drain/fill in my 2007 Civic LX this afternoon and see if the shift quality improves or stays the same. If everything feels good, I will perform another drain/fill every two weeks until I have done it four times. Stay tuned....

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
I picked up three quarts of the new RP Max ATF formulation yesterday. The label for the new formula reads: "Multi-Spec High Performance Automatic Transmission Fluid". The back of the container has a long list of vehicles that the fluid may be used with. I will try one drain/fill in my 2007 Civic LX this afternoon and see if the shift quality improves or stays the same. If everything feels good, I will perform another drain/fill every two weeks until I have done it four times. Stay tuned....

How much per quart did that run you?

Originally Posted By: Alternator
Quote:

Sounds like a good reason not to repeat it - especially if it is not based on any substantive information.

I can personally vouch for Whitewolf's credibility in this area. He information is extremely accurate and should be taken seriously.

Three quarts ended up costing $32 at my local O'Reily store. This puts the cost per quart at just under $10 before tax.

First drain/fill seemed to go very smooth. The drain bolt was pretty tight, but a 3/8" Breaker Bar worked very well. I measured the fluid that drained out and it was 2 quarts and 20 ounces, so I added the same amount of RP Max ATF. I also used a new crush washer and a torque wrench, which was set at 33 ft/lbs as per the shop manual.

The following is very subjective. I noticed much less noise from my transmission. The 2007 Civic LX has a transmission that makes a distinct whining noise that is pretty annoying. The cabin seemed much less noisy, which really stood out after months of listening to the whining noise. Shift quality seems very slightly more firm, but well within what I consider to be acceptable limits. The 37-39 mph shift point is actually smoother and quicker to engage.

Please keep in mind that the above is based on only one drain/fill. That puts my transmission at 35% RP and 65% Z1. I plan on doing another drain/fill with RP in about two weeks. I want to take my time with this.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Quote:

I can personally vouch for Whitewolf's credibility in this area. He information is extremely accurate and should be taken seriously.

So who's gonna vouch for you?

""I can personally vouch for Whitewolf's credibility in this area. He information is extremely accurate and should be taken seriously.""

I agree 100% what he says take to the bank.

bruce

All RP products are excellent and the MaxATF is no exception. Take the RP bashing here with a grain of salt. If it isn't Amsoil, PP, or M1 it "can't be any good".

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pleased with the results of RP ATF in my AW-4. Have RP in diffs, transfer case and crankcase and my Jeep is substantially quieter than stock. I vouch for myself. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Quote:

So who's gonna vouch for you?

I think the members of this forum who have known me long enough can.

Then maybe you all would care to tell us why the MaxATF is to be avoided - using of course, factual information as opposed to opinion?

I see some responding with positive personal experience. I'll believe that long before I believe a bunch of opinionated tribologist wannabe's.

Then maybe you all would care to tell us why the MaxATF is to be avoided - using of course, factual information as opposed to opinion?

I see some responding with positive personal experience. I'll believe that long before I believe a bunch of opinionated tribologist wannabe's.

Sure, go purchase and read the SAE paper about universal ATFs. I posted a link in this section. Info from the SAE is about unbiased as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back