Royal Purple = Increased HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK last night watchin the Outdoor Channel they had a car show on. They switched ALL the fluids over to RP.
Dyno before and after fluid switch showed an increase of over 20 or so HP at the wheels.
What gives? Would a switch to RP oil only increase HP? Just asking and drumming up some conversation.

Some lubes do decrease friction which results in less hp lost as heat and more delivered to the wheels. As to whether this particular test is accurate, repeatable, and worth the money to change all these lubes are other questions. Did they say exactly what lubes they started with, were they the correct viscosity, and were they well warmed before the first test was run?

Ken

[ January 11, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Although synthetics will increase HP, I don't see a 20 HP increase unless the visocity is changed greatly (20w50 conventional to a 0w30..etc) or on a high HP racing engine.

I recall seeing an episode of Two Guys Garage (I think it was Spike TV, formerly called TNN) where they did the same thing. The subject was a late model v8 Chevy pickup. All fluids drained and a total flush and fill on the tranny. The subsequent dyno numbers were something like 5-6 hp. A 20 hp bump would be met with a great deal of skepticism on my part. If that were the case I'd do it tomorrow!

Did they have dyno printouts to show the before and after numbers?

Mikep

Car Craft got 18 hp on the engine dyno going from 20W-50 dino to 5W-30 synthetic. That's a crock in my opinion. The only way I see an 18 hp gain is if they originally had 80W90 gear lube in it
grin.gif

A 90 weight gear oil, is about the same viscosity as a 50 weight motor oil. They use a different scale. There is a viscosity chart on bitog's home page, that will show this.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I don't know if I buy it. Sounds like marketing hype.

Yeah, how much did Royal purple pay them to do that test?
grin.gif
Yeah, there's definately an increase...but 20hp? Highly doubtful. I'm going to be getting an OBDII reader that hooks up to my pocket PC that caclulates HP based on quarter mile time. I'll try synthetic then and see how it does...

Yes it was in a 400+HP race car engine, that they ran the test.
But playing devils advocate, could ya get an extra couple HP in a regular gasser by swithching to RP Lubes?
Just fuel for thought.
wink.gif

[ January 11, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Swift ]

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
Yes it was in a 400+HP race car engine, that they ran the test.
But playing devils advocate, could ya get an extra couple HP in a regular gasser by swithching to RP Lubes?
Just fuel for thought.
wink.gif

Sure. See my previous reply.

BTW...had the guys on the Two Guys Garage switched that Chevy pick-em-up from a dino to Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1 they may very well have gotten the same 5-6 hp boost as they did with RP.

Mikep

I saw a test in either hot rod or car craft, where they gained 20HP (at the flywheel) by going from a 20w50 conventional, to mobil 1 0w30. But that is a big jump in viscosity, and almost a 500 HP engine. I don't believe that mobil paid anyone for the statements, I just believe that virtually any synthetic would have repeated close to those same numbers, since the viscosity change will be the biggest factor.

mikep and sbc350gearhead are correct. Unless they juiced the test with a really lousy/heavy beginning oil, the gains are from the Royal Purple (or Mobil 1, etc ...) being thinner (reduced hydrodynamic drag).

--- Bror Jace

Feel the difference between Red Line and Amsoil. Red Line's friction modifying ingredients are superior to anything that I have seen.

I'm intrigued by this oil and plan to run it my next oil change. The temps should be up then so I may go 10w-30 instead of the 5w-30.

For the skeptics:

+18 WRHP is questionable.

However, in 2000 HM High Tech magazine tested RP21 in there 355ci mule and there gain was 11+hp at the flywheel.

The is one site that did a similar test on a C5 vette with redline throughout the driveline yielding something like 8hp+

So, yes some oils can raise HP+...the real question is does sacrificing friction mean you are sacrificing Barrier protection?

Do synthetics increase horsepower-yes. Does it create that much of a drastic increase no. When I sold Kevin Harvick oil when he raced the Porter Cable in the NASACR TRUCK SERIES the qualifying oil of all the cars were 0 weight and when race day came 15w50 was put in.

[ January 13, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: scooter996 ]

I'm not gonna try it cuz I think it'll make my 2.7l 4 cyl Tacoma into a nitro funny car, I'm gonna see how RP performs via a UOA after use.

Swift I would stay away from RP. RP shears out of grade just pouring it from the bottle!! THe 2.7 needs a thicker 30Wt or they just sound loud on startup and going down the road. The difference between M1 10W30 in the winter and M1 15W50 in the warm months is unbeliveable.

That show was Horsepower TV on the now Spike TV formaly TNN. They specifically showed you the dyno run on the 2001 camaro I believe on regular juice, then showed them draining the diff, tranny, and engine and then showed them pouring in the oil from Royal purple quarts and it was purple oil. Then they reran the car. The HP increased by 8 HP.

It would have been a ton more informative had they just stated that they used a quallity brand name synthetic and switched the car over from regular oil to that. But then when your sponser is Royal Purple I guess you use and advertise their name, that is what they pay the big bucks for.

I wonder how many motor heads out there that watched that show went out and bought some RP and did it to their vehicle? Oh how Marketing can make a product sell, sell, sell.

Bringing an old thread back to life.

I found this site through google as I was searching for oil filter info and after looking around I stumbled upon this thread. I just wanted to add more info on what Rat407 and others were talking about(the car on HotRod TV).

It was a 00' camaro, the guy that owns the car is a member of another webboard I visit daily. The original fluid they replaced with Royal Purple was fresh Redline products.

Here is a qoute from one of his posts about the show:
quote:

Can't complain though, as the Royal Purple they put in it, picked up almost 10 rwhp over the fresh Redline stuff I had in it!!! They replaced the oil, tranny fluid, and rear end fluid.

Just thought I would share the info with you guys.
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back