Royal Purple Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search on this...no hits. Just curious. When I was a kid in the early 1950s, I don't remember that Royal Purple was around. However, I do recall an oil being marketed (and sold to the hot rod set) by Union Oil Co. called Royal Triton and that oil was dyed purple. Any relationship or just coincidental?

At this point of current additive and base oil development, probably more coincidence than design. Once Union Oil quit marketing a purple-dyed motor oil, I'd think the company lost all rights to the color and the descriptive word, "Royal". By the way, Union Royal Triton was marketed to more than the hotrod set. A lot of upscale Cadillac, Chrysler, and Lincoln owners insisted on its distinctiveness in the belief it was superior to other motor oils of the time. My Uncle used only Royal Triton in his '54 Olds 98 V8. My dad used Pep Boys' cheapest in our '55 Plymouth Savoy straight six. Both cars' engines were pooped at about 125,000 miles. Pop liked to rib his little brother about how well the Royal Triton had worked out on his Olds V8. Uncle Paul's face and eyes always turned red for some reason . . .

Thanks Andy!

The original purple motor oil is a little before my time, as I started driving in the late 60's. But I remember hearing comments about the "purple stuff".
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back