Royal Purple gave me more power!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kid you not!
First thing I noticed when I changed oil was this Royal Purple is slippery like an eel. I rubbed it thru my fingers and it is slick! I'm using the 15w40 RP for the first time and was much thicker out of the bottle than the dino equivalent Delo 400 I just drained out. Well after putting in 6 qts I started it up. Felt smoother. Then I backed it out of my driveway and gave it the same throttle I always do down my block. My car accelerated way faster. I already have 450rwhp and 480rwtq so must have picked up at least 15 hp according to SOTP. So the claims Royal Purple makes is no bull. You are going to gain HP, and for sure fuel mileage cause it takes less throttle now than before to go the same speed. Anyways I know a lot of you won't believe me, but I'm just stating the facts. My car IS a whole lot faster with Royal Purple!

Leo

In looking at the Royal Purple web site, I find their wording ambiguous when it comes to saying unequivocally that their oil is a full synthetic. Does anyone know if RP is a PAO/ester based oil like Mobil 1 and Amsoil?

From their website:

Is Royal Purple® synthetic motor oil?

Yes. Royal Purple® Motor oils are composed of a proprietary formulation of synthetic base oils and synthetic additives containing iso-paraffinic diluents.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
From their website:

Is Royal Purple® synthetic motor oil?

Yes. Royal Purple® Motor oils are composed of a proprietary formulation of synthetic base oils and synthetic additives containing iso-paraffinic diluents.

Yeah, it's the "iso-paraffinic diluents" that bothers me.

YZF150 how are things in Portland Oregon ?
grin.gif

I think all "synthetic" oils still use petroleum based diluent or "carrier" oils for the adds.

At least RP is honest enough to state that fact.

They make a very good product not to be dismissed out of hand by the marketing ploy of purple dye.

Bror, if they have gone grp III that will be news to me. Last formula tested was SJ and was PAO based, no GRP III.

confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
YZF150 how are things in Portland Oregon ?
grin.gif

I think all "synthetic" oils still use petroleum based diluent or "carrier" oils for the adds.

At least RP is honest enough to state that fact.

They make a very good product not to be dismissed out of hand by the marketing ploy of purple dye.

I was under the impression that Mobil stopped using mineral based carrier oil in Mobil 1 when Tri-Syn came out. Priot to that, they stated clearly on the bottle "...exclusive of additive carrier oil."

You're comment about rubbing the RP through your fingers is interesting. I feel the same way about Amsoil. It does feel different. Actually, it is quite hard to get off your hands. Go figure?

More observations!
I just took a 110 mile freeway loop, and my car is much smoother. It also takes longer to decelerate meaning there is less friction in the engine holding the car back. It also is running cooler on the freeway. When I got back home I got out of the car and listened to the idle and exhaust. The exhaust is a little quieter. It must be because it's using less gas to idle. Also there is less mechanical noise coming from the engine. Because this is my first experience with synthetic oil, I do notice a lot of things you guys already running synthetics take for granted. Now if I were running synthetics already, and switched brands to Royal Purple, then maybe I wouldn't notice that much difference. I have been a skeptic and cheapskate come to the cost of oil. So that's why I never did use synthetics. Now I'm a firm believer synthetics is all it claims to be.

Leo

[ January 19, 2003, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: pedaltothemetal ]

So if the synthetic additive package contains diluents (iso-paraffinic) that may not be 100% synthetic, does that mean that we can't or shouldn't call Royal Purple a fully synthetic oil?

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
So if the synthetic additive package contains diluents (iso-paraffinic) that may not be 100% synthetic, does that mean that we can't or shouldn't call Royal Purple a fully synthetic oil?

Not necessarily. Even Mobil 1 used to use mineral oil as the additive carrier. The issue is the base oil blend. If RP is using strictly PAO and esters, then it's "fully synthetic" irrespective of the carrier additive oil. (And if you subscribe to the "Group III = synthetic" school of thought, then even if they are using Group III in the base oil blend, they are still a "synthetic" oil.)

They are very private with their formulation information. I don't suppose that there is anyway to know short of a VOA on the current formulation.

But it sure doesn't feel like a petroleum oil. Strangely slick. Hard to wash off.

[ January 19, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

Please make a distinction Yall:

For all the posts people are alluding to a formulation difference between:

A)The OEM Royal Purple API certified grades (5W30 etc)

AND!

B)The Royal Purple Racing Grades (21 etc)

One post told me that the OEM are "blends" while the Racing grades are redline akin containg a high PAO content.

last time I was at my friends auto repair shop I was reading Hot Rod magazine from the summer of 2002. They dyno tested a high horsepower muscle car before and after results using Royal Purple engine oil, tranny and diff fluids compared to conventional oil and stock tranny and diff fluids. Based on their reporting the car picked up something like 14 whp on the dyno just by swapping in the fluids. I can't remember what viscosities were used. I thought it was interesting, as long as their results were accurate and not some sponsorship deal form of testing that you see in some other mags.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
After changing all fluids to Redline in my Outback economy is improved. Not hard I guess with the quality of OEM lubes.

Isn't this amazing. Takes much less throttle for a given load than before. My gas savings if offsetting my oil cost.

Leo

That Hot Rod Mag article about the horse increase was on a older Ford car I think and they went from dino 20W50,ATF in a 4 or 5 speed manual, and 80W90 in the diff to same weight Royal Purple. They took the car out and warmed it up then dinoed it at 408 RWHP. Then they changed fluids to RP and took it for a drive, came back and got 418.1 RWHP. So 10.1 horse on a street strip car from a lube change. Not a bad gain for the money and you didn't need to adjust the carb or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back