Royal Purple Duralec Ultra 15w40 API CI-4+/SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks for that one. I just saw it on the shelf, too, when I found the new Canadian Castrol varieties.

No problem

It won't be. It's a synthetic 15w-40. My supplier has some, but I never checked the price. I'm a Royal Purple fan, but I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to accomplish here. Granted, I'm sure they're using fine base stocks (with the -49 C pour point in a 15w-40, I'd suspect they are) and I'm sure it's a great product. Most guys going for a synthetic HDEO would be going for another viscosity, and their other Duralec line is CJ-4/SN, with 5w-40, 10w-30, and 15w-40 available. And, that line looks pretty good, too.

So, if their niche market is guys who want a synthetic HDEO but are old school enough to insist upon it being a 15w-40 and CI-4+, well, I guess they can claim that.

It won't be. It's a synthetic 15w-40. My supplier has some, but I never checked the price. I'm a Royal Purple fan, but I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to accomplish here. Granted, I'm sure they're using fine base stocks (with the -49 C pour point in a 15w-40, I'd suspect they are) and I'm sure it's a great product. Most guys going for a synthetic HDEO would be going for another viscosity, and their other Duralec line is CJ-4/SN, with 5w-40, 10w-30, and 15w-40 available. And, that line looks pretty good, too.

So, if their niche market is guys who want a synthetic HDEO but are old school enough to insist upon it being a 15w-40 and CI-4+, well, I guess they can claim that.

Amsoil AME (synthetic CI-4+ 15w40) remains a strong seller for Amsoil, so I don't see why it would not sell well for Royal Purple.

Holy smokes, I forgot all about that one. Although there is at least one retail place that sells Amsoil, I didn't pay as much attention to their 15w-40 as 5w-40. In any case, CI-4+ HDEOs are exceedingly rare up here, and have been for a long time. They make us wait forever and a day to get SN/GF-5 when that rolled out, but when CJ-4 came out, the CI-4+ stuff did not linger.

Holy smokes, I forgot all about that one. Although there is at least one retail place that sells Amsoil, I didn't pay as much attention to their 15w-40 as 5w-40. In any case, CI-4+ HDEOs are exceedingly rare up here, and have been for a long time. They make us wait forever and a day to get SN/GF-5 when that rolled out, but when CJ-4 came out, the CI-4+ stuff did not linger.

CI-4+ HDEOs are rare here too, only Amsoil and Lucas still make them, that I can recall right now.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

CI-4+ HDEOs are rare here too, only Amsoil and Lucas still make them, that I can recall right now.

Of the common mfgs one can still get CI4+ Delo 400 15W40 Multigrade from Chevron distributors. And I get Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (ACEA E4/MB228.5) from my local Mobil distributor. And I think one can still get CI4 Delvac MX 15W40 from Mobil.

Charlie

Imperial Oil got rid of all the Mobil stuff ages ago. One might have a shot at the SHC, but I never tried. It's not on the sell sheets. For Delo 400, I've never checked with Husky. They are who sells the Delo stuff here, plus a fair number of trucking outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back