Royal Purple and Synerlec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

After much searching-I decided to open a new topic on RP . Their big "claim to fame" appears to be "Synerlec" which increases film strangth-which adds HP and also increases economy. It has been discussed on this board-but not lately and not in detail. Besides we open up several new posts on GC daily lately
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Are there any updates with folks using it with respect to improved economy?

Any other thoughts on RP or this "Synerlec" additive. I wonder if it actually increases film strength or is it just another AW eo EP additive?? They claim it increases film strength. Possibly its similar to SuperSyn???

edit link to non site supporter.links to product data are allowed.mark.

[ October 05, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I never noticed any fuel economy improvement in my wife's car since I switched it from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple, if anything the MPG has dropped overall since then. I'm not one to usually say these sort of things, however her engine does feel more peppy since we switched to this oil. It's strange because you'd think that the MPG would also go up if the engine is seeing less friction. I doubt my wife has changed her driving habits since we put in this oil, she always drives like a maniac!
smile.gif

BTW, we should hit the 5000 mile mark on her current interval in the next two weeks, so my UOA will be posted here shortly. You'll recall that I did a mid interval sample on this batch around 2500 miles, and it thinned out to 9.3cst. I wonder if it continued going downwards or if it will finish up higher?

I have a 87 Ford F350 4x4 with 6.9L diesel.

I have Royle Purple/Long Rider 15w-40 in the engine
Maxgear 75w-90 in the trans.
Snychromax in the T-case.
Maxgear 75-140 in the rear.
Royal purple grease in the front wheel bearings.
And running Biodiesel

I can say that in my case that it did increase MPH, I went from about 150 miles per tank while towing to 200 miles, and when not towing I went from about 235 miles to 285 miles per tank.

And this was towing about 4000 to 5000 Lbs

And I run my tanks dry, so I know exactly how far I can go, when driving down the freeway I drive it till the motor shut off then switch tanks when coasting.

The RP also smoothed the engine out , and the trans shifts better now.

I will be doing some VOA and UOA at about 5K.

But so far I can say it has worked for me.

Christopher.
patriot.gif

Back to the original topic of this thread, I once theorized that "synerlec" was either PTFE or perhaps even "Linkite" which is the supposed active ingredient in Z-Max. The anecdotal evidence of increased mileage and pep (although some of that could be coming from short-term thinning) suggests these things might be additives in this oil.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

According to RP, they do not use PTFE. They still won't say what they do use though. It is probably just a good additive package, not much different than other top shelf synthetics. I have RP in my truck and camaro, and they do seem to run better on it, than with Mobil 1, although fuel economy has not changed.

To Christopher Wise - I hope you don't have in-tank electic pumps. They really hate being run dry, as they use the mass of the gasoline in the tank to disperse the heat of the pump.

Also, how do you cope without power steering and brakes when the engine shuts off while you are cruising down the highway?

I'm still wondering if Royal Purple 5w30 and 10w30 are true synthetics, using PAO and esters, or if it's a blend with mineral oil.

Al,

According to a phone call one Chem Engineer at RP said they use petroleum carrier oil for there Synerlec additive package. [API Grades]

The answered this question in response to my reading a label from a Synthetic Mobil 1 ATF bottle on what "exclusive of carrier oil" means.

To the other poster, alleging RP is akin to Z-Max, or Slick 50 in terms of there synerlec package....that is quite slanderess do you not think?

As specifically cited by Terry RP is a genuine oil. Indeed it does shear but whatever packagae it uses it is certainly holding up preventing elevated wear.

Side note:

Any bets to when AMSOIL will rephrase there beliefs on how evil Moly is?

All in all at least from the board perspective Moly is a good thing.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

When Big Al Amatuzio decends the holy mountain of oil with his clay tablets and decrees "And it (moly) is good"

However-lets give big Al some credit. I am sure they are testing Amsoil with moly as we speak but want to make sure it does well with respect to extended drain intervals and wear.

[ October 05, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

outrun wrote:

quote:

Al has said he will not use SOLIDS in the oil. He was referring to things like MoS2, PTFE, etc. He was spot on. So he left an out to use Mo in a soluble form.

For you to say the "board perspective Mo is a good thing" - are you speaking from a Bob or general consensus, POV? I would say in a well designed oil such as M1 or Schaefer's the Mo is great (soluble thio/carbamide form). I think the jury is out on the HUGE quantity in Redline. And Royal Purple? The oil is no GC. MoS2 has it's uses, but not a good thing in motor oil.

quote:

I concur with El Pablo. As MK has stated, Moly is not the Panacea. Amsoil doesn't need it nor does Delvac 1. Amsoil is as consistant as you can get and wouldnt benefit from Moly IMO. Amsoil for some reason also gets the wrong moly confused with what we are talking about as Pablo stated. I think Redline assumes that the general public is driving Formula 1 cars to work.

[ October 05, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
[ I think Redline assumes that the general public is driving Formula 1 cars to work. [/QB]

Now wouldn't that be awesome!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I don't think we have enough info to come to a conclusion on RP or GC. I have RP in my truck right now, and it will be changed out to GC in a month or so. I will change out to RL after that. I am going to do analysis on all 3, and the results should be interesting.

[ October 05, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:
To Christopher Wise - I hope you don't have in-tank electic pumps. They really hate being run dry, as they use the mass of the gasoline in the tank to disperse the heat of the pump.

Also, how do you cope without power steering and brakes when the engine shuts off while you are cruising down the highway?

First this is a diesel truck, mechanical pump on side of block.

Second this is a manaul trans,so the engine still turns over, so I still have power brakes and power steering, and besides I don't need them, I just switch tanks and in about 15 seconds it is up and running again, it is very smooth you don't even feel it.

CRW

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
CRW.......Isn't that hard on the engine?

Not really, I don't do it all the time, just every so often to check to see how a tank will get me.

There is still enough diesel in the injection pump to lube it.

Just not enough to build 2400psi to pop a injector.

CRW

I used RP 5W-30 in the last 2 fills. Then, I switched to Valvoline Syn Power 5W-40. RP doesn't make 5W-40. Next change I'll go back to RP. Whatever they put into that oil makes the engine idle and run smoother. I am very unhappy with Valvoline. Valv. makes my engine slugish and I lost 12 miles per tank
frown.gif

That's my 2 cents.

I want for Royal Purple to be good. It has not looked all that good in some UOAs that people have done here, but it apparently is used some in auto racing. But maybe we have not had enough UOAs to really judge this oil. A lot of the technology behind this oil looks exciting. I am hoping that it proves to be a good oil.

Just one more thing-where do you find Royal Purple? Is it available in stores somewhere?

I have never noticed it in a performance store in Pueblo, but I did notice some of the additive that they use. You can buy that separate from the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back