Royal purple 5w30 honest opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys i have been a mobil 1 guy for years both my vehicles have close to 300k on eqch of them amd have mobil1 in them most of their livesthinking about Royal purple.change but looking for opinions....Thanx in advance

They are both high quality high performing oils. I doubt there would be any usable difference. Mobil offers more opportunities for price beaks, sales, wide distribution, etc so unless you can identify some area where it's under-performing for you (and my personal opinion is probably not) I'd stick with the mass market variant. It's your money.

I think RP is overpriced. I would stick with what you have been using.

Originally Posted By: steve_a
Ok guys i have been a mobil 1 guy for years both my vehicles have close to 300k on eqch of them amd have mobil1 in them most of their livesthinking about Royal purple.change but looking for opinions....Thanx in advance

Mobil 1 is excellent oil. So are all the synthetic oils on the Walmart shelf. But I would stick with Mobil 1 as it has done well for you.

Running an oil that has served you well for 300k and you can readily get it with semi annual rebates for a great price and you are thinking about switching, please tell us your reasons.

RP data sheets used to show that they had a couple of grades (e.g. the 0W40) that were definitely at the top end, and the products in the adjacent columns were pretty ho-hum WRT CCS, MRV and the like.

Can't show you that, as RP censor these data sheets that I used to criticise...can't get them, can't link them.

Happy to be proved wrong by the fanbois however, as I've offered before...hook us up with the data sheet, as opposed to the menu that links to the data sheet.

I think it is their HPS line that is popular among street racers, but it is not API certified.

I didn't see anything about their SN 5W30 that suggested it was worth paying a premium for.

Marketing works. Obey. Oil is oil with the proper ratings.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
They are both high quality high performing oils. I doubt there would be any usable difference. Mobil offers more opportunities for price beaks, sales, wide distribution, etc so unless you can identify some area where it's under-performing for you (and my personal opinion is probably not) I'd stick with the mass market variant. It's your money.

^^ This ^^

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

^^ This ^^

+2

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4567039/Re:_Nissan_5.6_Castrol_GTX_vs_#Post4567039

I run both. I run RP HPS 5/30 in the Lightning and the GT500 but I wouldn't pay a premium price for shelf RP because I don't think it is any better than any other quality full synthetic oil. The HPS doesn't have a certification because it has levels of zinc, phos and moly which are to high to get a cert, you can see that in my UOA.

I'm trying the Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 in the Armada right now to see if I can get to 10K OCI, have another 1K to go and then I'll send that sample off to blackstone.

I order the HPS in 5 gallon containers, it works out to about 7 bucks a qt that way, the GT500 takes 8.5 qts so it makes sense for me.

It works well in my mom’s Honda Pilot. It has closer to 100k kms. She runs the oil indicator to 0 and the oil comes out nice and golden.

She buys it from Canadian Tire when it goes on a flash sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gixxer46
It works well in my mom’s Honda Pilot. It has closer to 100k kms. She runs the oil indicator to 0 and the oil comes out nice and golden.

Shouldn't it come out nice and purple instead?
crackmeup2.gif

(I know that the purple dye doesn't last long)

Steve should not try to fix / replace what's already working fine & dandy.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I think it is their HPS line that is popular among street racers, but it is not API certified.

I didn't see anything about their SN 5W30 that suggested it was worth paying a premium for.

Agreed.

I might suggest The OP may wish to try a REAL synthetic for once.

RP is like BOSE - street myth High end for the unwashed Walmart Trailer crowd
smile.gif

I can't find anything but anecdotes and invalid "tests" to suggest that any Royal Purple product is any better or worse than any comparable product.

Given that, I wouldn't try too hard to steer anyone away from Royal Purple, but nor would I recommend them or use them myself.

Don't forget: because RP tends to be more expensive than Mobil 1 (or PP, Edge, etc.) in most grades, it's not enough for it to be good. It has to be much better -- to the point that it extends the life of the engine by enough to offset the cost. With modern engines and modern oils, that's a deceptively high bar to clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back