Royal Purple/5W-30, 9,140 oci, 08 impala SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good results. Those who say RP never gives a good UOA, it shears, TBN does not hold up over EOCI's, etc... should all read this one. Those are very good results and without even adding any oil to "freshen" the oil to boot.

Also, they love to say any off the shelf brand of synthetic will do as good or better but your UOA improved with RP vs the previous Valvoline and this was the 1st run with RP as well which many times gives a poor UOA( i.e. - takes a couple OCI's for best results ).

Excellent results and it does not surprise me. Run it a little longer next time and if so inclined have it tested again and post the results.

As to the copper = common 5.3L issue and the oil cooler is another possibility as you mention. I question Blackstone saying it is the last of the wear in metals though with almost 23K on the odometer. Sounds a bit long for wear in remnents but maybe not( EDIT - well the oil was added like 9500 miles ago so ok that is reasonable - forgot to take into account starting mileage )?

Last edited:
Glad you chimed in NIHemi. My Impala was down a bit over .5qt and not knowing how it was holding up I decided to change the oil instead of adding more RP. Yes the TBN held up great, but I think it starts out at around 14. Maybe the oil cooler helped keep the oil a tad cooler and that helped keep up the TBN? My son and I drove it conservative (to help keep it in 4 cyl mode) but when we needed to pass on the highway we really went WOT and did that anywhere from 3 to 12 times per day on that trip. Also when we got into montana I bought new tires and I think that may have helped my mpg and the handling, went with Yokohama Avid Envigors and the tire shop gave me $25 each for my old tires.
Yes, the copper went down from 118 to 47 with 3 tmes the mileage on this oil. I thinking maybe the tin reading came from the punched hole in the bottom of the filter- you see the oil tech forgot to collect my sample per middle of the drain and had to resort to my oil filter. Do you think this RP would do this well during the winter and a 9 month or so OCI? I went with GC and some Lubro Moly MOS2 added (because RP has moly which i like and GC has little or none) and a K&N filter, but plan to change back to RP again. But will be trying the RP in my 95 thunderbird V8.

I bought the RP when on sale at Shucks for 5 qts and a K&N for $39.95, but the mgr also gave me a deal when the sale was almost over - he had only 12 qts left and gave me the 12 qts for the price of 10 - so ended up with 12 qts and 2 filters for $80
I had used RP years ago in my 95 Impala SS which I still have and it worked and ran very well in it, even had a couple of UOA's from it, but will have to try to find them again.
Do you think RP will be changing over to all grades to SM rated oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SSGSTbirdtoyman
Glad you chimed in NHHemi. My Impala was down a bit over .5qt and not knowing how it was holding up I decided to change the oil instead of adding more RP. Yes the TBN held up great, but I think it starts out at around 14. Maybe the oil cooler helped keep the oil a tad cooler and that helped keep up the TBN? My son and I drove it conservative (to help keep it in 4 cyl mode) but when we needed to pass on the highway we really went WOT and did that anywhere from 3 to 12 times per day on that trip. Also when we got into montana I bought new tires and I think that may have helped my mpg and the handling, went with Yokohama Avid Envigors and the tire shop gave me $25 each for my old tires.
Yes, the copper went down from 118 to 47 with 3 tmes the mileage on this oil. I thinking maybe the tin reading came from the punched hole in the bottom of the filter- you see the oil tech forgot to collect my sample per middle of the drain and had to resort to my oil filter. Do you think this RP would do this well during the winter and a 9 month or so OCI? I went with GC and some Lubro Moly MOS2 added (because RP has moly which i like and GC has little or none) and a K&N filter, but plan to change back to RP again. But will be trying the RP in my 95 thunderbird V8.

I bought the RP when on sale at Shucks for 5 qts and a K&N for $39.95, but the mgr also gave me a deal when the sale was almost over - he had only 12 qts left and gave me the 12 qts for the price of 10 - so ended up with 12 qts and 2 filters for $80
I had used RP years ago in my 95 Impala SS which I still have and it worked and ran very well in it, even had a couple of UOA's from it, but will have to try to find them again.
Do you think RP will be changing over to all grades to SM rated oil?

I would not hold your breath waiting for RP to reformulate their SL offerings to SM. They have been asked and asked about that and they always say they won't do it because they feel doing so would lessen the quality of their oil. I am not sure what will happen now that SN is on the horizon and SL will now be 2 service levels down? IMO they need to change their thinking a little and catch up to the times.

If they insist on standing firm and staying put, and refuse to change, they could go the way of the dinosaurs. At the very least have a 2nd line of oil that meets current spec's similar to what Amsoil does with their XL line.

They have a couple SM offerings but those were new weights for them so they just formulated them to meet the current spec. They definitely have resisted reformulating current formulas to meet the newer spec's though. I would like to see them offer some 0W20 and 0W30.

SL will most likely stay 'valid' through the time API SN is in effect - it will be API 'SJ' that becomes obsolete.

So, if they can justify the 'performance benefit' of SL, they may still have an oil that meets their criteria and is 'current' for another 4-5 years....

Like you have hinted, they should almost have 2 lines, a current one, and a 'performance' one - offer 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, and 5W-30 that are 'SN' spec, and offer 10W-30 'up' that are to their specs - SL or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back