Royal Purple 20w50, 5,240 miles, 2005 Harley TC88

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bike has 9,640 total miles with 5,240 miles on the oil. This is RP's normal 20w50 rather than their Motorcycle blend and was changed when this sample was taken. Stock engine and air cleaner with the 10 micron Harley-Davidson oil filter. The oil did thin down to a 40 weight however. I would like to hear comments on this issue and how I should respond.
First post by the way and thanks in advance.

Blackstone's Comments
quote:

No problems showed up in the initial sample from your Harley. All wear read close to
averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. The universal
averages show normal wear after 3500 miles on the oil. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and
blow-by) were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration. No fuel dilution or coolant was found. Silicon
was okay indicating adequate air filtration. The TBN was 5.6, strong - 1.0 is low. Viscosity was in the
SAE 40W range. Other than the low vis - the RP oil is doing a nice job.

quote:

ALUMNUM = 8
CHROMIUM = 1
IRON = 22
COPPER = 16
LEAD = 3
TIN = 0
MOLYBDENUM = 90
NICKEL = 0
MANGANESE = 1
SILVER = 0
TITANIUM = 0
POTASSIUM = 0
BORON = 28
SILICON = 10
SODIUM = 6
CALCIUM = 2995
MAGNESIUM = 125
PHOSPHORUS = 876
ZINC = 1165
BARIUM = 2

Sub Viscosity @ 210 F = 76.3
Flash Point = 410
Fuel = Insolubles = 0.2

quote:

Originally posted by Mongo:
[QB] This bike has 9,640 total miles with 5,240 miles on the oil. This is RP's normal 20w50 rather than their Motorcycle blend and was changed when this sample was taken. Stock engine and air cleaner with the 10 micron Harley-Davidson oil filter. The oil did thin down to a 40 weight however. I would like to hear comments on this issue and how I should respond.
First post by the way and thanks in advance.

Blackstone's Comments
No problems showed up in the initial sample from your Harley. All wear read close to
averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. The universal
averages show normal wear after 3500 miles on the oil. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and
blow-by) were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration. No fuel dilution or coolant was found. Silicon
was okay indicating adequate air filtration. The TBN was 5.6, strong - 1.0 is low. Viscosity was in the
SAE 40W range. Other than the low vis - the RP oil is doing a nice job.

quote:

ALUMNUM = 8 Universal Average = 5
CHROMIUM = 1 / UA = 1
IRON = 22 / UA = 14
COPPER = 16 / UA = 17
LEAD = 3 / UA = 2
TIN = 0 / UA = 1
MOLYBDENUM = 90 / UA = 51
NICKEL = 0 / UA = 0
MANGANESE = 1 / UA = 1
SILVER = 0 / UA = 0
TITANIUM = 0 / UA = 0
POTASSIUM = 0 / UA = 2
BORON = 28 / UA = 149
SILICON = 10 / UA = 9
SODIUM = 6 / UA = 5
CALCIUM = 2995 / UA = 2170
MAGNESIUM = 125 / UA = 388
PHOSPHORUS = 876 / UA = 898
ZINC = 1165 / UA = 1119
BARIUM = 2 / UA = 1

Sub Viscosity @ 210 F = 76.3
Flash Point = 410
Fuel = Insolubles = 0.2

Sorry sunruh, I tried to go back and add in the averages and ended up creating another post. Obviously I haven't figured out the system here yet. Maybe the mods can fix this for me.
Thanks for the help.

I would not be too concerned about the shearing. The HD engines do fine on 40 weight oils. Harley realizes that the oils will shear some, so they recommend the 20W50's so that when they do shear, they'll still be 40 weights.

Your engine is different from mine (mine is an Evolution, 1994 Low Rider). But I would call your attention to my UOAs with Havoline 20W50. Both were for around 2500 miles, and the wear metal counts were extremely low.

Wear metal numbers are what to look at. Viscosity, flash point, etc., is secondary. I've seen UOAs posted where the oil didn't shear and it still showed other good numbers as far as the oil's own constitution. But the wear metal counts were not as good as with some oils that sheared more.

Your engine is probably still breaking in a bit, so I wouldn't worry with those numbers.

But I do think that a 2500 mile OCI with a quality dino 20W50 car oil will be more economically feasible.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000043

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back