Royal Purple 15w-40 syn...is it moly heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my interest in Royal Purple 15w-40 synthetic is use in a motorcycle with a shared sump, but I am curious if this stuff is moly heavy (which is NOT good for wet clutch systems)...thanks

Royal Purple's motorcycle oil sells at my local Advanced Auto Parts for $15.99/qt; RP's hdeo sells for $38.99/gal at Pep Boys in my region...hence my interest

I think if you look at the UOA's, even RL with 500+ moly is fine on wet clutches. More myth than anything.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
I think if you look at the UOA's, even RL with 500+ moly is fine on wet clutches. More myth than anything.

Moly and wet clutches is not a myth. The only thing that makes it confusing is the clutch material. If it uses a metallic to metallic mating surface, that is where people run into trouble. If it is semi-metallic or organic surfaces, the moly will not plate to the clutch and you will not have any problems.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It used to be when it was called Synerlec. Now afaik it has no moly and little to no zinc.

afaik?

you know wrong.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
my interest in Royal Purple 15w-40 synthetic is use in a motorcycle with a shared sump, but I am curious if this stuff is moly heavy (which is NOT good for wet clutch systems)...thanks

Royal Purple's motorcycle oil sells at my local Advanced Auto Parts for $15.99/qt; RP's hdeo sells for $38.99/gal at Pep Boys in my region...hence my interest

I presume you're intending to use the oil in your Yamaha and Buddy? I presume you'll be at or under OEM OCIs?

You can get the same job gone nicely with any quality dino HDEO. Or, the T6 does meet all JASO-MA specs (although it's not licesend as such, it does meet the criteria and Shell warrant it for use in MA applications).

You certainly have the right to use/choose anything you wish. But, in this case, you are excercising the right to grossly waste money.

You might also find a bit more direct information if you push this quest over to the MC sub-forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It used to be when it was called Synerlec. Now afaik it has no moly and little to no zinc.

I don't think their HDEO changed that much. Remember, their PCMO line went from SL to SN/GF-5. Their HDEO merely went from CI-4 or CI-4+ to CJ-4. I haven't seen many CJ-4 HDEOs with less than 1200 ppm zinc.

As for moly, we're not going to know unless RP releases the information or someone tests it. All indications are that it's a rather stout HDEO. It's expensive, and I question the wisdom of using a 15w-40 HDEO when synthetic opens up far more viscosity choices (i.e. 5w-40 and 0w-40), but that doesn't mean it's not a quality product.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: Sonataman

Moly and wet clutches is not a myth.

Actually, solid moly is the concern. RP uses an oil-soluble moly which does not adversely affect the clutch. My guess is the 15W40 has the typical 100 to 300 ppm common to RP products. I'm sure there has to be a RP 15W40 CJ-4/SM UOA around here somewhere.

I was thinking of a 15w-40 syn since some feedback indicates that 5w-40 syn may not do as well in a shared sump system & my V Star is air cooled to boot which means higher temp

Originally Posted By: Motohead
I'm sure there has to be a RP 15W40 CJ-4/SM UOA around here somewhere.

Hard to say. It hasn't been out very long yet. I don't think we have any UOAs on it yet.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I was thinking of a 15w-40 syn since some feedback indicates that 5w-40 syn may not do as well in a shared sump system & my V Star is air cooled to boot which means higher temp

There are Group IV 5w-40 HDEOs from which to choose. If they can't hold up to the heat, I'm not sure what else really could. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 comes to mind, but I doubt you could find it much cheaper than RP 15w-40 anyhow.

The V-start to which the OP refers is a 650 cc v-twin that is not known for excessive heat (or power, = heat). That engine has been made for decades in various forms; if it were a true problem it would have been heavily revised or discontinued by now.

In fact, I doubt that engine gets any hotter than the turbo housing of any of today's diesel engines, and yet dino oils survive there quite well.

kmrcstintn, you are way over thinking this ...

ANY quality 15w-40 HDEO conventional oil will do just find by any OEM OCI in your application. There are plenty of UOAs in the MC section to show this. They survive just fine in all kinds of air-cooled applications and protect the equipment very well. Many of today's HDEOs would likely pass the MA standards, but that is not a market they choose to target. Regardless, many of us use dino HDEOs with great success, and no adverse problems.

I could not find a recent VOA/UOA of the RP you seek (I only went back about 5 pages, though). If you want to know how much moly is in the RP, then you have two options:
1) ask them
2) get a VOA and have it checked.

You might WANT an ultra-expensive syn; you don't NEED it. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to rationalize or justify it with erroneous logic.

Last edited:
Quote:
You might WANT an ultra-expensive syn; you don't NEED it. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to rationalize or justify it with erroneous logic.
cry.gif
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back