Royal Purple 0w20 2020 Equinox 1.5T 6181 miles

This is my 2nd UOA the first was Pennzoil Platinum 0w20
04E21717-F83A-49FD-9C8B-77E7BF0BC78D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same driving style as PPP. And more miles too. Took it down to 18%

I have 2- 5qt jugs of PPP and 1-5qt jug of Advance Supertech before I go back to RP

One where a consensus agreed wear metals are high, severe viscosity loss, oxidative thickening, etc.
That typically shows a problem with the equipment though, not the lubricant. A lubricant that's appropriate for the application should in indiscernible from any other similarly approved oil.

And of course a UOA doesn't tell us the full story. I suspect the UOA's from this engine looked "fine":
67284409643__4FA5DFF1-855E-4423-8599-92B03CD1207E (1).jpeg

but the purple appears to have become a bit of a burgundy. Makes for some interesting looking varnish though!

That typically shows a problem with the equipment though, not the lubricant. A lubricant that's appropriate for the application should in indiscernible from any other similarly approved oil.

And of course a UOA doesn't tell us the full story. I suspect the UOA's from this engine looked "fine":
View attachment 117376

but the purple appears to have become a bit of a burgundy. Makes for some interesting looking varnish though!

You should see the orange varnish that's left in a engine that's run Amsoil for too long of interval's.

😉

View attachment 117376

Good ole purple dye. I saw an LS engine torn down after ~100k miles of RP that looked like that. It was caked everywhere, including the cylinder walls, main caps, crank counterweights, lifter valley, rockers, etc...

View attachment 117376

But if you are using the lubricant in a appropriate way and those markers are still present in a negative way, it would be recognized as a "bad uoa".

But if you are using the lubricant in a appropriate way and those markers are still present in a negative way, it would be recognized as a "bad uoa".
Could be, depending on what we are seeing, but that may have absolutely nothing to do with the lubricant. High viscosity loss is typically from fuel for example. Oxidative thickening we don't see a lot of, since guys typically don't run long enough intervals. Metals can be high from break-in, or something being wrong, signalling a need to dig further (one of the uses of UOA's).

No particular brand of oil has a monopoly on "good" or "bad" UOA's, as, per what I said, what it looks like is typically a function of the equipment if the lubricant is appropriate for the application and being used as prescribed.

Unfortunately, as I noted, a series of "good" UOA's can, with certain oils, still lead to things like the burnt corpse of Barney there. Maintaining cleanliness beyond the minimum requirements is simply not the goal of some blenders, or with some products. And, in demanding applications, well, that, or worse, can be the result.

Thanks for posting this. We just got a 2018. I bought Edge EP 0W-20 and a Fram TG for it that will go in in about 2k miles. did you notice a noise or MPG difference between these two oils? Mine will be at 50k miles when I put the Edge in... Nebraska winters are not kind to UOAs... I usually see double the wear in these -30 months. I may wait for the 55k oil change to do a UOA on that oil with summer temps.

I have tried 3 different oils all Ow20. Pennzoil ppp, Royal Purple and in the car now Fram. Out of those 3 Royal Purple was the quietest and smoothest. It was most noticeable with stop-start. Mpg best to worse… Royal, Fram, Pennzoil. I’m going to leave Fram in till OLM gets to 10%, then get that analysis.

Back