Royal Purple 0w10, 5000 miles, 02 Sentra SpecV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was very cold out when I changed this oil. I idled the car for a bit to warm up the oil. I'm guessing this is where the fuel came from.

I ran this oil from April 08 to Feb. 09.

The car now has Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in it.

Blackstone02SentraRP22720093.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive results - even with fuel thinning the heck out of it, it still protected well!

Strong TBN - you could have gone almost 10k on this oil - insols. would have been your only 'limiting' factor.

Wow is all I can say. That seems like fantastic wear considering the use of a fuel additive (and a strong one at that) , a 0w10 oil, and a performance engine.

Your AL, FE, and CU wear all went down on a per 1000 miles driven basis....

Your flashpoint is shot from fuel dilution, but your TBN is amazing. Run this stuff out to 7500 miles IMO.

Compare this to the Spec V at 100,000 miles running Redline for 5000 miles including track days/autocross

Joe

another eye opening RP report. I'm impressed such a light weight oil handled the fuel so well.

With a UOA result like that and the remaining TBN I would definitely run this oil to 10K. Fuel dilution can be taken care of with a 20 minutes drive on the highway.

Because Captain Howdy is a pioneer.
grin2.gif

Captain, anything modified on that engine related to lubrication?

So, why doesn't Nissan recommend xw-20 these days like many others?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

Captain, anything modified on that engine related to lubrication?

So, why doesn't Nissan recommend xw-20 these days like many others?

The first three columns from the left are the same fill of RP. The virgin TBN was 12.1. Mods,...header, no cats, different cams, oil pan kit, ( it holds six quarts now), cold air intake, I think that's it for the engine.

As far as why 10wt? I thought it would be a good experiment since the car did so well with the 20 weights. The other fills before the RP were, PP 0w20, PP5w20 and Mobil 1 5w20. Now after looking at the report Blackstone may have changed the fill order. I know the Mobil 1 run had the highest iron.
grin2.gif

That's some interesting data there, Captain Howdy. I never would have thunk to try a 0W10. Thanks.

Intertesting test.

I see you had a short run of 733 miles. Was that some kind of test involving RP and racing?

That is absolutely amazing! Because the margin for error on wear metals is somewhere in the vicinity of 5-10 ppm (right?) you couldn't have a better result. Seeing how successful that oil was, I'd be tempted to try their lighter oils! Just keep going lighter and lighter until wear started to climb.
wink.gif

What sort of driving does this car see? Any car with mods like that I expect is driven "spiritedly" at least, if not outright raced. Do you keep track of fuel mileage closely enough that you noticed a difference from one oil to another?

I wonder what Nissan would think if they saw these reports. They have every right to be proud.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Next try some RP 0W20 and see how it compares. I'd be too scared to run a 0W10 in anything.

did you see the sample on the top of this page?
you sure are not scared to make a comment on something you have no prior data to share.
kudos to the original poster for showing the advantages of 0w10 weight Synthetic oil that outperforms any 0w20 mineral oil I have ever seen. looks like 0w10 works just fine for a very long time!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Next try some RP 0W20 and see how it compares. I'd be too scared to run a 0W10 in anything.

did you see the sample on the top of this page?
you sure are not scared to make a comment on something you have no prior data to share.
kudos to the original poster for showing the advantages of 0w10 weight Synthetic oil that outperforms any 0w20 mineral oil I have ever seen. looks like 0w10 works just fine for a very long time!
happy2.gif

Ya, looks good. I missed that the other runs were RP 0w20. Still, as a newbie, I'd be scared to run oil that thin regardless of one good oil analysis.

Last edited:
I have a question. Why would the RP 0w-10 appear to be the thicker oil at lower temps? I crossed referenced the SUS viscosity from the BITOG viscosity chart and I think that would put the RP at about cST 48 at 40 degrees C. Did I do that right? The graph shows the RP as heavier than the YB conventional!

Thanks to someone else from another thread for supplying the Widman link.
http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Viscosidad/Conversiones/Graph/graph.html

Widmangraph.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back