Royal enfield interceptor 650 oil choice

Originally Posted by Hermann
OP

Why so shy about where on Earth you greet us from.

His temps are in F...that's a giveaway.

Originally Posted by Silk
Originally Posted by Hermann
OP
Why so shy about where on Earth you greet us from.

His temps are in F...that's a giveaway.

I hope so ... 75-90+ in degrees C wouldn't be on Earth, lol.

Originally Posted by Silk
Penrite recommend their 10W-50 motorcycle oil - Penrite over spec on everything, it'd be where I would go.

I'll second that. I've been using their products in all my bikes for years, actually decades, zero problems and in fact very positive results. EG, I run several bevelhead Ducati's, and these engines use all ball and roller bearings, no plain bearings. The crankshafts have a reputation for problems as they run a roller bearing big end with ball bearing mains. Owners typically accept that the cranks will die at relatively low mileages, using Penrite, NON of the cranks in my bikes have so far needed attention.
They also have bevel gear driven shafts to drive the cams which are also sensitive to the type of oil used, again, no problems. I'm not advocating that Penrite is the only oil that works in this type of Ducati, but I've yet to hear of another that works so well, and I won't be experimenting to find out!
I'm monitoring Penrite in my Royal Enfield, which I bought new in 2018. I did the first oil change myself using Penrite, miles are low at the moment but I did notice the gearchange improved and neutral was easier to find. That could of course be due to bedding in, but I'm betting it's the heavy Zinc content that Penrite use aswell.

Oh my, a top performing oil that is heavy on the zinc content? Who would have thunk it!

LOL, opening up a can of worms about zinc around here always gets interesting.

I am all for it in my motorcycle, a high-revving multi cylinder with rocker arms. Zinc in a motorcycle oil for my bike to me is like having that best friend who will be there and has your back no matter what. Not that other friends aren't good, but there are some that are just better than others with respect to choosing them and covering all the bases.
10.gif

With that said, I haven't seen the new Royal Enfield twins in person. The Interceptor is the one I would be interested in. Is it a decent-sized bike or is it relatively small? I'm much taller than average and bike fitment is always leaving me wanting in many cases.

Google it? I guess that means you haven't ridden the bike either. I do like your stance on the zinc content of the motor oil that you choose.
cheers3.gif

My experience has shown me that what works well in one bike, may not in another. In my previous bike (2016 Versys 650 LT) Castrol Actrevo 10w-40 (syn blend) gave the smoothest clutch operation, and shift quality. Mobil 1 Racing 4t was notchy in that bike. My new bike (2019 Yamaha Tracer 900) loves Mobil 1 Racing 4T. Red Line 10W-40 was in the Yamaha for 250 miles. Engine performance was awesome, but shift quality was bad, and would fatigue my ankle. FYI, I read an article from a motorcycle mechanic once. He stated that the overwhelming reason for poor shift quality complaints was a clutch out of adjustment. The Shell Advance Ultra 4T is also an excellent option to try. Any 20W-50 I've ever tried gave somewhat sluggish performance over 10W-40. My comments don't explain smooth for 300 miles, but maybe you can glean something from my comments.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Google it? I guess that means you haven't ridden the bike either. I do like your stance on the zinc content of the motor oil that you choose.
cheers3.gif

Yeah, I've test ridden a Continental GT. Nice bike, very rider friendly, smooth, linear engine, great handling, all good. I'm 6ft and it didn't feel cramped but someone very long in the leg might find their knees touching the cylinder head protectors. At the price it's an incredible bargain. I'm waiting for a scrambler style version, which rumours suggest is definitely coming.

Originally Posted by Gillsy
My experience has shown me that what works well in one bike, may not in another. In my previous bike (2016 Versys 650 LT) Castrol Actrevo 10w-40 (syn blend) gave the smoothest clutch operation, and shift quality.

I've got some Castrol Actrevo 10W-40 on the sidelines for the next oil change on my XSR900. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Actevo is a synthetic blend if I recall. Read decent things about it, no one's ever said it let them down. My number one priority is shift quality, if that beautiful high-revving XSR triple holds shift quality for an OCI it's probably doing pretty well.
smile.gif

I like the new enfields. I would use a 15w-50 or 20w-50. My local auto parts store has the mobil 1 15w-50 on the shelf. I like that weight in air cooled engines. Semi syn or full syn 15w-40 diesel oils should work well also I would think.

Speaking of these bikes I really like the new trials bullet.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Actevo is a synthetic blend if I recall. Read decent things about it, no one's ever said it let them down. My number one priority is shift quality, if that beautiful high-revving XSR triple holds shift quality for an OCI it's probably doing pretty well.
smile.gif

Correction ... the Castrol I have is their "POWER 1 4T" (not the Actevo, which is semi-synthetic as you mentioned) ... says the POWER 1 is a full synthetic. Yeah, I love the way the XSR cross-plane 3-cylinder runs - very flat torque curve which makes for a very linear HP curve.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDH4

I've always changed my oil in my cars at 4,000 to 5,000 miles and a conventional oil does fine.

However synthetic oils hold shift quality so much better than conventional oils in a shared sump motorcycle that despite increased cost of the initial oil purchase, it stays in the bike longer and I'm not changing the oil as often in order to maintain shift quality.

Looking forward to an update from the OP on his bike.

Another option is to run Motul 7100 in 10W50. If you don't ride below freezing temperatures, you can also consider 15W50 or 20W50.

Two of my friends in India run Motul 7100 10W50 with an OCI of 3000KM on the RE 650cc engines.

I went with the Mobil 1 v twin 20w-50.

Shifting is back to being as slick as ever. Curious to see how it holds up!

Hopefully you’ve passed a mileage threshold that will give you an idea how it’s holding up! Please do let us know.

Hopefully you’ve passed a mileage threshold that will give you an idea how it’s holding up! Please do let us know.

The 20W-to V Twin Mobil 1 has been holding up great! It will be changed out once the weather starts to get a bit cooler though.

The 20W-to V Twin Mobil 1 has been holding up great! It will be changed out once the weather starts to get a bit cooler though.
Awesome! How many miles on the oil now?

I changed out the M1 10w40 4T a week ago. 5,345 miles. Shifting hadn’t dropped off at all in the ZRX 1200. Couldn’t ignore a good thing two out of the last three oil changes, 10w40 4T went back in. Wanted to stretch it to 6,000 miles but I just couldn’t. My urge to change was too great. That many miles on an oil in a shared sump is fantastic, the same shifting performance after all those miles as day one. The other oil change in there was when I ran 20w50 V-Twin for 5,065 miles and it was just as good. Most recent 10w40 4T sample is being sent in to Blackstone, will post the report when it’s back. Mobil makes some fine motor cycle oil’s in my estimation and experience.

Last edited:
Back