Routine checks under the hood....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you do them, such as when you fill up for gas for just get bored. The reasoning for asking was I had to do a trip from Kansas City to Oklahoma City pulling a 16" trailer with a Eclipse full of boxes including the truck. Pulled over to fill up for gas in Wichita and I do what I normally do while pulling a trailer, first check the trailer...everything good, open up the hood
shocked.gif
the air filter is laying under the intake and partially in fender (It's a Air Force One intake). The kicker is that I had 100+ miles to go and the return trip also, had a big stash of oil and filters. The oil in it is Havoline 5w-20 will 2500 miles.. hadn't even color yet.. what a waste. Anyways my family thinks i'm a worry wart but I going to start doing this on all vehicles while waiting for the tank to fill.

One of the reasons I do a tappet clearance check every 15000 miles on my engine is to see whats under the tappet cover, stuff like deposits, chain stretch, cam wear etc. even though my tappets are usually within specs even after 15k miles, same with checking under the hood, better to be paranoid and safe than take a risk, prevention as they say is always better and cheaper than cure.

I'm guilty. I do underhood checks of all the vehicles in my stable at least once a week. Never found my air filter in the fenderwell though
shocked.gif
But I caught the GM intake gasket problem in time!

Once a week on the entire fleet. More often if I'm tracking a problem. I usually have to add washer fluid or something to one of them. That leads to all getting it topped off and all the fluids getting checked "while I'm there".

At least once a week everything gets a look under the hood-fluids checked, belts examined, etc. If I'm on a long trip or pulling one of the trailers it's every fuel stop.

I like popping the hood of a vehicle and examining it, not as much to find problems as to try to figure out what does what and why it's located where it is.

quote:

Originally posted by dave1251:
I like popping the hood of a vehicle and examining it just for fun about once a week.

Ditto. It also helps if you grunt a little while you've got the hood up.
smile.gif

Well I guess I need HELP...EVERYDAY..sometimes twice a day
gr_eek2.gif
and lay underneath my vehicles, with my work ,light 4 out of 7 days a week.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back