Round tractor trailer type brake lights

JHZR2

Staff member
One of mine is missing. It seems like they are all about the same.

Do they just pull out, or stay in the body some other way?

Any specific brands better or worse?

Any concerns using LED ones?

I have one thst is much darker than the rest, so I intend to replace at least a pair. Maybe with led ones?

I think you are talking about Grote lights? There should be a number on the back to tell you which one it takes. The LED ones should have a resistor in them to not disrupt lighting systems.

I think you are talking about Grote lights? There should be a number on the back to tell you which one it takes. The LED ones should have a resistor in them to not disrupt lighting systems.
Dunno... grommet mount lights, but there are a million brands and lots of dumped third world stuff with mixed reviews...

Grote is the standard for service bodies. I hate having to deal with them purely because there is no real way to confirm what was installed on the vehicle without taking things apart.

With some detective work, I was able to I.D. some missing Peterson trailer light lens covers recently (18 yrs. old). Peterson and Grote seem to be the most popular brands in my search.

Prices for mine had huge differences. I bought 10 for the price of 3 on some sites.

Peterson, Grote, Truck-Lite

Is one better than the other? On my truck, one of the lights is discolored/darkened. Seems like uv damage, but it’s darkened. Still works fine...

Thinking to replace with an LED version just, because why not...

These things are just friction fit? I think I can get it out by pushing from behind, which I can access...

They're designed so you don't need access from the back. From the outside, push in on one edge of the lens. The light unit will tilt and the other edge will come outward free of the rubber ring. Pull it out completely and unplug the wire pigtail. Plug in new unit and work it into place in the rubber ring. Replace in pairs for best aesthetics. The LED type is a drop-in replacement for incandescent.

Back