Rough used price on a few chainsaws looking to aquire.

There are trades at a dealer. Was wondering ballpark range I should be in when / if I choose to negotiate.

Husqvarna 555:
Its a 2021 model, not sure how to tell if it has auto tune or not but its condition is on the "good" side just below excellent. Like no paint wear other than the bottom and on the clutch cover where it would vibrate on the dirt. It is not marked with a price.

Husqvarna 545:
Bar has a lot of paint wear, overall it is at the high end of fair condition, or maybe the lowest of good. Enough overall wear that it is very noticable.

Husqvarna 340:
Bar has some paint loss and it very dusty, but in the middle of the good condition rating. It is a model without the primer and without the decomp valve.

What is the difference between new and used? Chain saws aren't that expensive new so I wouldn't pay any more than at the most a quarter of the new cost. A heavy duty chain saw will usually out live the non commercial purchaser if cared for.

There are trades at a dealer. Was wondering ballpark range I should be in when / if I choose to negotiate.

Husqvarna 555:
Its a 2021 model, not sure how to tell if it has auto tune or not but its condition is on the "good" side just below excellent. Like no paint wear other than the bottom and on the clutch cover where it would vibrate on the dirt. It is not marked with a price.

Husqvarna 545:
Bar has a lot of paint wear, overall it is at the high end of fair condition, or maybe the lowest of good. Enough overall wear that it is very noticable.

Husqvarna 340:
Bar has some paint loss and it very dusty, but in the middle of the good condition rating. It is a model without the primer and without the decomp valve.

Thankfully I have an Echo Chainsaw, sounds like the Husqvarna has some issues.

My two pennies:

Insist on inspecting the cylinder. So many are scored by running extended lean fuel to air, or a low oil mixture....or no oil.

If the cylinder is good, proceed on pricing negotiations from there.

Paint missing on the bar means little. Check the bar for discoloration from overheating (lack of bar oil).

Make sure it comes with a hard case and see if they'll throw in an extra chain.

A good saw is an amazing tool when needed.

Love my old Husq 55 and Stihl 250!

Last edited:
I can't imagine you would be able to get a decent deal at a dealer, even on used saws. If you are looking for something to use or fix up to flip, facebook marketplace or craigslist is a much better place to look.

The saws you listed are also very different power-wise, what will you be using them for? That kind of determines which one would best suit your needs. 2021 Husqvarna 555 will likely be auto-tune.

a few years ago when I needed a new saw I was looking at used and finally decided to pull the trigger on a new Stihl 271 Farm Boss. I have not been disappointed. My experience in looking at used is they seemed overpriced or overused and I couldn't find what I wanted. I would suggest you don't get hung up on bar and chain wear unless you are using that for a proxy on overall care for the saw. A new bar and chain can easily be purchased for a used saw.

Ask the dealer to look at the piston for scoring (remove the muffler) and do a compression check. I would also have them fire it up to see how easy it starts and if it will run.

Just my $0.02

Husqvarna 555:

Husqvarna 545:

Husqvarna 340:
Bar has some paint loss and it very dusty, but in the middle of the good condition rating. It is a model without the primer and without the decomp valve.Recently

Recently purchased a very lightly used Craftsman S160 16 in. saw from a pawn shop for $95 cash out the door. Same saw new is approx. $190 at a nearby big box home improvement store.
I have a late 70's era Homelite XL Super 18 in. saw (purchased new by my dad) that still runs ok but it is very heavy, and as I'm older now it is getting too heavy for me to use. This old Homelite has just about zero plastic parts on it. so it is heavy, at least for me.
The Craftsman S 160 saw is marketed as a light/medium use homeowner saw, but it is all I need nowadays as compared to a larger, heavy duty, higher end saw such as the Husqvarna 545.

Last edited:
They want $400 for the 555, and that is the only one id be comfortable owning based on its condition. The 340 is $150 and frankly that is not worth it. Id give them $50 max.

$400 for a one year old saw is cheap. I run a Jonsered 2172 commercial logging saw, and wouldn't sell it for under $700 and it's 6yrs old. So long as it fires up and runs, bars are meaningless and easily replaced. You can tell on how hard it's been beat by looking at the bar. Is it discolored? if so its been run hard and w/o bar & chain oil. Take the chain off, feel if the edge has a lip, especially in the middle. If so, someone didn't sharpen the chain much and just pressed down hard versus letting the chain do the work. How about the chain? What brand or style is it? Are the rakers filed down equally with the top plate? Either way, $400 for a solid jug is good.

What are your plans for the saw/s you purchase?

What's your level of small engine expertise?

How long do you intend to use the saw you purchase - as in how long to you intend to own the saw?

Back