Rough duty oil for a 2019 Wrangler with 3.6L engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Imp4
Yeah, those Jeep engineers sure don't know much....

Which is why the original specification was for 5W-30. Once the bean counters and CAFE got involved, it was dropped to a 20 grade.

That said, a 20 will probably be fine… But in the high temperature desert environment at low speed for hours on end, you could get some increasing oil temperatures which is where the 5W-30 will help.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Which is why the original specification was for 5W-30. Once the bean counters and CAFE got involved, it was dropped to a 20 grade.

That said, a 20 will probably be fine… But in the high temperature desert environment at low speed for hours on end, you could get some increasing oil temperatures which is where the 5W-30 will help.

CAFE and beancounters were around when the Pentastar first came out too. There were actual changes to the engine like having to cope with the start-stop system.

You might like M1 AFE 0w30 if you can find it. Pair it with a Wix XP or Napa Platinum filter
smile.gif

Try that new Rotella Gas Truck synthetic oil, looks really stout for HD use. I'm debating trying it in the Tacoma next time, but I'd stick with 0W-20 in the warranty period for insurance reasons.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Spend time reading https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/

Your statement is not far from the truth...the Wrangler is a bloody horror show!

BS. I've got one of the very first production batch and have had zero issues. Zero. No fit/finish or quality issues, either. Most have not had any problems. I'm on that forum all the time. ANY internet forum dedicated to a vehicle is going to have lots of [censored] and moaning, but many, many on there have said they've had no issues.

I've got 20,500 on my 3.6/manual and the 0w20 does just fine. I've run mostly Mobil 1 AP, but it currently has PUP 0w20 in it. I've done UOA's for every change and see no worries.

It is an updated Pentastar. The valvetrain has been redesigned, among other parts, to reduce friction and increase torque. I've towed, rock crawled in the desert, and driven it daily and the 0w20 yawns through it all. My longest run to date was M1 AP at just over 7k miles. I'll run this PUP out to somewhere around there and will do another UOA, just for kicks.

I'd go over to Walmart and pick the brand of 0w20 you like best and run it with confidence.

There is a guy on the forum that posted a UOA for a Toyota Tundra with around 6k miles of towing a 14,000lb 5th wheel. The oil shrugged it off with a very good report. I really don't think a heavier oil is necessary.

I ran 5w-30 in my 2018 JL with no issues. Probably will switch my recently purchased JT to 5w-30 also when my Idemitsu 0W-20 stash runs out.

Another data point, have 18 sahara, 3.6 ZF 8spd, have run the 0w-20 Penzoil synthetic and various xw-30 during break in.
3.6 doesnt really care, good engine/trans.

also no issues at all, very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back