Rotor and pad upgrade report...

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
I repeated a prior tried and true formula with slotted Stop Tech Cryo rotors and Hawk LTS pads.

Truck has much harder initial bite and braking at the same pedal pressure as prior, well see how imprint resistant they are in a few seasons but the Ridgeline stock front brakes didnt quite make it to 40K.

I live in the mountains (Sierras of Nor Cal) and tow the limit on both trucks and absolutely chew through brakes like few others.

I repeated a prior tried and true formula with slotted Stop Tech Cryo rotors and Hawk LTS pads.

Truck has much harder initial bite and braking at the same pedal pressure as prior, well see how imprint resistant they are in a few seasons but the Ridgeline stock front brakes didnt quite make it to 40K.

I live in the mountains (Sierras of Nor Cal) and tow the limit on both trucks and absolutely chew through brakes like few others.

maybe a diesel with an exhaust brake...? Or down shift and let the drivetrain do the work?

Just my $0.02

maybe a diesel with an exhaust brake...? Or down shift and let the drivetrain do the work?

Just my $0.02

My diesel does have an exhaust brake.

Downshifting a gas truck thats towing is a a bit like whizzing on a forest fire, especially when there is a stoplight at the base of the hill, but sure I down shift where it makes sense.

Last edited:
I downshift my Honda CR-V EX with the CVT to S and then to L and in the summer turn on the AC to MAX. It does slow down the vehicle a noticeable amount. I did change the CVT fluid at 25 K and 26 K miles and very probably will again at 27 K.

How many miles did your last Cryo/LTS set last? And how many miles on the new ones? :unsure:

Last cryo LTS set lasted 60K of almost pure towing miles on the titan including two years as being the main shop truck at a boat shop

Most of the boat towing is done with surge brake trailers vs electric / hydraulics which is harder on brakes.

New set only has 2K on it, but the small truck is as much people mover as it is a tow rig.

Assuming same size you will burn through those pads/rotors in record time. Longevity is not a priority with slotted rotors. Larger rotors on the other hand would last longer.

The newer Honda's I've driven have extremely impressive initial brake bite. Wish my Brembo-equipped cars had something remotely close.

How's the dust from the Hawk pads?

Assuming same size you will burn through those pads/rotors in record time. Longevity is not a priority with slotted rotors. Larger rotors on the other hand would last longer.

Bigger brakes aren't an option without a wheel swap.

The newer Honda's I've driven have extremely impressive initial brake bite. Wish my Brembo-equipped cars had something remotely close.

The ridge lines brakes were only "ok"from the factory.

Dust seems about on par with factory pads.

It's all in the pads. Hawk pads tend to have a pretty high μ for aftermarket pads so they may be what you're looking for - but I find that [generally speaking] they are pretty loud as well.

It's all in the pads. Hawk pads tend to have a pretty high μ for aftermarket pads so they may be what you're looking for - but I find that [generally speaking] they are pretty loud as well.

I dont notice a difference in the pads, but the drilled or slotted rotors "buzz".

The rotors play a part as well as I understand the friction Coefficient goes up with slots.

Back