Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T6 5w40 (Synth)
60k miles
Out of warranty.
Any thoughts?
OCI?
Thanks
The "507" VW oils are expensive and hard to find.

Kendall euro 5w-40 is a very good oil and carries all the vw deisel specs. It can be had for about $45 at firestone. The T6 is gonna be a little thick but im sure it would do fine.I ran T6 in my altima for 2 OCI last winter. When it was really cold outside I noticed a slight knock for a second on start up. I was thinking if its good enough for a DD15 in a big rig its good enough for my altima.
smile.gif

You probably want to use a low SAPS oil to protect your DPF.

Rotella T6 isn't exactly low SAPS.

Or is there no DPF on this car?

I don't like buying the 507, either, but there are some options out there that bring it within reach, cost wise, of cheaper off the shelf Wally World options.

I am running Pennzoil Ultra Euro L in mine. It's a 507 that I get for about $7/quart off Amazon. I use the "subscribe & save" option to get it cheaper than the standard list price.

T6 is just over $5/quart at Walmart. That's a $9 per oil change difference, which to me is not that much for a 10k OCI.

Good luck.

Thanks for helpful info.
Just ordered 5 qts Castrol SLX Pro 5w30 (504/507) 5qts and an
OEM filter for $56.95 delivered. (Ebay).
With the costs of DPF and CAT replacement it seemed the prudent
thing to do.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Kendall euro 5w-40 is a very good oil and carries all the vw deisel specs.

Not 507 for the common rail TDIs. It does carry the 505.01 rating for the earlier PD TDIs. All 507s are 5w30 and low SAPs. Kendall now sells a Euro in 5w30 but not sure if that carries the 507 cert or not. I'm using the 5w40 Kendall Euro now in my PD TDI and it's a terrific value if you can pick it up by the case from the local Kendall distributor.

I know the OP already made the purchase, but the registered vendors at the TDIclub website have lots of other options available if you don't want to use the VW OEM Castrol gold SLX that the dealerships sell. Oil change kits in the $50-$60 price range that include Mann filters and new cartridge rings/seals, new drain plugs and a selection from Pentosin, LiquiMoly, Total, Fuchs, Castrol and maybe some others too. I think Napa sells a Valvoline that is 507 certified and PepBoys sells M1 ESP that is 507 certified. Lots of alternative options to the dealerships.

Not saying T6 would necessarily destroy a common rail or DPF, but if it were me I don't think I'd risk it to possibly save $10 on an oil change that is only needed every 8-12 months (most drivers).

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
The Mobil1 ESP formula does not show the 507 or 504 cert.
NAPA had no applicable oils.

The 5w30 flavor does. Look behind the Specs/Approvals tab:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.aspx#

Mobil1 also sells an ESP "Formula M" (primarily for Mercedes/Sprinter diesels) that is in 5w40 that does not carry the 507 cert due to the weight. All 507s must be 5w30. You maybe were looking at the M version?

Some Napas do stock a 507 while others don't stock it but can get it next day from the warehouse for you. I can't remember if it was Valvoline or LiquiMoly that the warehouses stock, but I believe it is one or the other.

You also asked about the OCI... Just stick with whatever is recommended in your owner's manual. I think that should still be 10k or 12 months, unless VW went to a variable/extended drain for your car. VAG has been conservative on the recommendations in the US, mostly b/c Americans are so brainwahed into 3k/3 month OCI and VAG knows Americans won't believe longer than 10k is possible, but they go well past 10k miles in Europe and all is fine over there. Do a UOA if it makes you feel better, but don't fear the 10k OCI if you're using a 507 certified oil.

I know everyone here has an opinion (and that's what makes BITOG so great), but if it were me I would just buy a oil change kit online from BoraParts or IDParts and use the Pentosin or LiquiMoly (or whatever) they sell in the kits. Super simple and good prices. Given the OCI and how infrequently it needs to be done, it's not hard to plan in advance for purchasing online. I also strongly recommend joining the TDIclub for the wealth of information on that web-site for all things TDI.

Originally Posted By: Zambee500

Not saying T6 would necessarily destroy a common rail or DPF, but if it were me I don't think I'd risk it to possibly save $10 on an oil change that is only needed every 8-12 months (most drivers).

My experience was that my DPF failed at 20k miles on my '12 TDI Jetta with the factory Castrol. It wasn't the oils fault but that car was bought back with a lemon law statute since it fell apart.

Bottom line, cover your [censored] with these cars under warranty and only use approved oils. Dont give them any excuse.

When you're out of warranty, I would say fingers crossed and go with the Rotella or M1 TDT.

While vw does have a dpf so do all the American diesels that speck the cj-4 rating. While vw specks a low-saps oil and cj-4 is more like a mid-saps oil,the differences are not that much.

I believe there was several threads on the vw forum about the low-saps causing excessive wear vs. the mid-saps cj-4. Since you're out of warranty I would run the t-6 and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Rotella T6 5w40 (Synth)
60k miles
Out of warranty.
Any thoughts?
OCI?
Thanks
The "507" VW oils are expensive and hard to find.

507 oil is relatively expensive... but they are not hard to find. Even Total Lubricants, USA is headquartered in Linden, NJ. You can go to an auto parts store and get the appropriate oil, or even a VW dealership and a Audi dealership....

I can go to my local European parts store (and it is 2 towns over from me in NJ)... and have them order me a case of the Total Quartz Ineo 507.00

"but they go well past 10k miles in Europe and all is fine over there."
- This isnt true...it goes for the first owner excellent if
he sells his car before 100 kmiles.
There has come a new type of fail that was almost unheard of earlier.
- sludged pump screen and suction tube.
Many owners stick to once or twice a year and say 9000 miles instead and these engines live long and happy.
Most of the long oci Engines doesent really stand it but works ok using more sound oci´s and im not talking about the ridicuisly low 3000 mile oci here.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=175&products_id=2472

The only place you need to purchase TDI stuff from.

You get more for your money from them than Ebay.

Unfortunately if they sell you a defective part, they won't honor their warranty

My local mechanic/well respected TDI-guru had issues with turbos he purchased through them and he had to eat the cost of replacement

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Unfortunately if they sell you a defective part, they won't honor their warranty

My local mechanic/well respected TDI-guru had issues with turbos he purchased through them and he had to eat the cost of replacement

I don't know about making such a blanket statement. They have a good reputation on the tdiclub website for standing behind their products. I don't want to get involved in your (or your guru's) issue with them though. There's also boraparts.com as another option - Aaron stands behind what he sells without a doubt.

I don't want to threadjack, but i also don't want to leave such a blanket statement hanging out there. IDparts has been good to me and others I know.

blauparts has Ravenol, hecho en Germany, 507 oil. Been using that on my AUDI Q7 TDI. No issues. BTW, talking about low SAP. What is the difference between low SAP oil and normal SAP oil, as far as lubrication/protective properties, etc...?

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
blauparts has Ravenol, hecho en Germany, 507 oil. Been using that on my AUDI Q7 TDI. No issues. BTW, talking about low SAP. What is the difference between low SAP oil and normal SAP oil, as far as lubrication/protective properties, etc...?

There was some talk that Low-SAPS after some 250K shows slightly higher wear.
However, I doubt it unless your TBN drops below 1.
In my opinion, M1 ESP 5W30 is best bet for diesel engines with DPF considering values of that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back