Rotella T6 getting expensive

True, but the specs Chevron has listed for pour point and Cold Crank it very much rivals their 5W40 Delo. Pour points are actually a bit lower on the 15W40 and cold crank numbers are surprisingly close. I thought it was a typo but confirmed with my Chevron tech rep it was correct. I haven't used it or seen any sampling on it though.
Yes and as we have seen with other brands a low pour point doesn't necessarily translate into a superior winter rating for cranking and pumpability. If you really need cold weather performance you're only going to get it with a lower (better) winter rating.

Agree, but why is the 15W40 XSP rated at 4600 mPas at -30 and the 5W40 is rated at 5900 mPas at the same -30? Convert it to cst or whatever you like, but thats the numbers they are publishing and I called my tech rep to confirm. T6 specs behave normally between 15W vs 5W, but this XSP stuff does not. Pretty sure it's not PAO good stuff, just a group III.

IMG_20221221_151854.jpg

It has to be the popularity. I remember it got real popular around 2012/2013 first then a year or two ago.
Oh yeah - big time - had a guy ask me if his DMax would do Okay on Delvac since there was no Rotella …
(Delvac likely the factory fill) …

I am not a huge fan of T6, better options out there for the same price or less. In 15W-40 Delvac Extreme is superior to T6. In 5w-40 any of the Phillips/Kendall oils (exact same) are better, even the Valvoline Extreme 5W-40 that is Cummins endorsed is a better option.

Local Wal-Mart has tons of gallon jugs of T6 5W40 for about$25 now. Shortage seems to be lessening?

Back